No announcement yet.

UAT Network Security Program Any Good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAT Network Security Program Any Good?

My nephew is thinking of attending UAT online for network security. I've seen them at a few cons but have never approached them. A google search turns up many critiques about their game design program but I can find nothing for their infosec program other than press releases and their own marketing sites.

Have any of you good folks had any dealings with the faculty or students? What was your impression? I know they have a couple of great faculty members but I'm curious about the program.

Before you suggest he attend a regular college for comp sci locally, he needs to do an online program as he's already married, has a kid and does not have the time to attend. He has his A+ cert and is looking to get out of the repair sweatshop he's already in and into some sort of security related job. He'd rather get a bachelors than a collection of additional certs.

Thanks!
    When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout.

Re: UAT Network Security Program Any Good?

Originally posted by KinoEye View Post
    My nephew is thinking of attending UAT online for network security. I've seen them at a few cons but have never approached them. A google search turns up many critiques about their game design program but I can find nothing for their infosec program other than press releases and their own marketing sites.

Have any of you good folks had any dealings with the faculty or students? What was your impression? I know they have a couple of great faculty members but I'm curious about the program.

Before you suggest he attend a regular college for comp sci locally, he needs to do an online program as he's already married, has a kid and does not have the time to attend. He has his A+ cert and is looking to get out of the repair sweatshop he's already in and into some sort of security related job. He'd rather get a bachelors than a collection of additional certs.

Thanks!
    Our good friend LosT is a faculty member at UAT. Some of his students also frequent DEFCON. They would undoubtedly be your best resource.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
      Our good friend LosT is a faculty member at UAT. Some of his students also frequent DEFCON. They would undoubtedly be your best resource.
      Silly me. I had completely forgotten that LosT = UAT Faculty. Don't I feel sheepish. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by KinoEye View Post
        Silly me. I had completely forgotten that LosT = UAT Faculty. Don't I feel sheepish. Thanks.
        LoST != UAT Faculty

LoST == Member of UAT Faculty

;)

Just playing.
        A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

I forget how brutal it can be around here....

Comment

*punches KinoEye in the nuts*

Maybe THAT will help you remember!!!1!!eleven!!
            .: Grifter :.

Comment

a few of us at work were just starting to look at UAT online for infosec also. LoST or anyone that has attended or is attending, please enlighten us. Thanks.
              Last edited by Fire_Walker; July 2, 2008, 04:26.
              -=FireWalker=-

Comment

On a semi-related note, MIT has online courseware--for free. The courses are typically a few semesters (or years) old, and you don't get credits, but you can't beat free. And the quality seems pretty good! For example:
                Network and Computer Security taught by Ron Rivest.
                "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Working...
                X