Going To Kinkos Could Get You On A Watch List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going To Kinkos Could Get You On A Watch List

I've always thought these stories to have the stuff of urban myths but now that I know someone that it has actually happened to I'm a little shocked.

Had a business associate come here to Philly from Chicago. I got word that he was delayed at the airport. I later found out that he got the full Airport anal probe treatment, complete with strip search.

Was he a terrorist in disguise as an American born Chicago Cubs fan and computer programmer, hardly. Prior to coming to the airport he paid his local Kinkos (must be where Bin Laden's been hiding all this time) a visit to pickup some freshly printed color manuals and hand carried them on the plane in his carry on luggage.

Well while going through security wamm bamm all the explosive detection equipment goes off while he is passing through it. They tear through his luggage, him, his laptop, and tell him that he was carrying illegal material. What did they find, the manuals from Kinkos. Something in the ink sets off the detection equipment.

So just a word of advice you may just want to ship those manuals and stay out of Kinkos prior to a flight as this stuff apparently can get on your clothes as well. I wonder if they would confiscate your clothes and make you wear an orange jump suit on the plane.

xor
    Last edited by xor; July 9, 2008, 16:47.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Re: Going To Kinkos Could Get You On A Watch List

Hmmmm so the toner in the copiers is also basically the same toner in laser printers, all heat activated so it sticks on the paper. Have fun with that.
    ======================================
    DJ Jackalope
    dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!
    ======================================

Comment

False positives rule
      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
      [ redacted ]

Comment

I've always thought these stories to have the stuff of urban myths but..

Kinkos a visit to pickup some freshly printed color manuals and hand carried them on the plane in his carry on luggage.

Well while going through security wamm bamm all the explosive detection equipment goes off
        This seems newsworthy. Is there a link?

Comment

You should send this as an idea to Myth Busters to test it out.

Comment

Xor, the books that were printed, were they Laser printer copies or printed on a real press?
            A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
              You should send this as an idea to Myth Busters to test it out.
              Righto! A worthy test awaits!

Comment

I'm really surprised no one has caught on yet as to why those books gave a false positive.

I doubt that they were Laser copies, and am fairly sure they were actually printed on a real press using sinkscreen or transfer plate methods.

Glycerin is commonly used as a thinner in inks as well as many other things. Glycerin is of course a component of a popular explosive. Fresh pressed ink will still have some glycerin being given off while it dries.

I've done a little bit of quickie research and there is some evidence of glycerin based products giving false positives on explosive detectors.

So, don't ice a cake and fly right afterwards either.
                A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
                  I'm really surprised no one has caught on yet as to why those books gave a false positive.
                  That's why we have you. Can you provide a link that x amount of glycerin applied to paper sets off airport security detectors? Does Kinko's work with glycerin in one process vs another? I would think such a story would be Kinko news, airline news, or some sort of news as it occurs? I have heard that people taking nitro can set off the sensors and must carry a med card so they may move quickly through airports, but this Kinko thing is where? There must be other occurances like it when freshly printed documents set off airport detectors.
                  Last edited by Greyhatter; July 10, 2008, 16:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyhatter View Post
                    That's why we have you. Can you provide a link that x amount of glycerin applied to paper sets off airport security detectors? Does Kinko's work with glycerin in one process vs another? I would think such a story would be Kinko news, airline news, or some sort of news as it occurs? I have heard that people taking nitro can set off the sensors and must carry a med card so they may move quickly through airports, but this Kinko thing is where?
                    I don't know how much glycerin actually sets off the sensor, but if you google for glycerin +false positive +explosive, there's bunches of links with information about it.

I'd also suggest that you don't render any hogs and hop a flight right afterwards, as Glycerin, Pectin and Gelatin are all things you get from rendering hogs.

Comment

I tried to get more details from him about it but he didn't know. The color images had a definite odor to them; yes I smelled them. Nothing familiar though. For certain it was Kinkos, the manuals look great and they were the first of their kind, and he only had a small number of them made. The low quantity I would think rules out type setting/screening and makes more modern printing methods the culprit.

Perhaps you should just call Kinkos and ask. I'm sure they have some idea about what is going on and no doubt have a warning posted some place in the store just to CTA's legally.

I'm either having an episode of Deja Vu or I think someone else talked about this very same thing on these forms some time ago.

I know nothing about printing other than the overview about a few of the modern printing techniques. However if glycerin as Streaker suggests is the chemical that is either giving a true or false positive there is a very easy way to test that.

Go to your local Whole Foods or any other tree hugging dirt kissing granola head store(just kidding) and get yourself some all nature glycerin soap. Before flying shower using the soap liberally, and also bring it in your carry on luggage just for good measure and see what happens.

xor

Ps Just a note of warning if you do set it off, expect to be hassled a lot as you will end up in a database some where; justified or not. I remember and this was pre-911 that I called the airlines prior to a flight and asked them how I should pack a hand gun. During the phone conversation I correctly identified myself. In the end I decided not to bring it on the trip but the ticketing agent seemed to know all about it, asked me if I was carrying a gun and gave me the third degree regarding the whole subject. So trust me when I say stick out, and you will find yourself in the "system". I know that sounds terribly paranoid, but old age and experience have taught me different. So If you find yourself on the wrong end of a rubber glove in a room with Ilsa, She-Wolf of the SS don't blame me :-).
                      Last edited by xor; July 10, 2008, 17:47.
                      Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Does hand lotion containing glycerin cause the same problem?
                        If so, I suspect that this happens all the time.

--bc,

Comment

Here is one:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive...dic_stopp.html

Heart Nitro tablets another

It seems going to a firing range prior to boarding an air plane could also be problematic.

xor
                          Last edited by xor; July 10, 2008, 18:16.

Comment

Here ya go, everything you ever wanted to know about bomb detectors from the Justice Department if you can believe that. It is truly amazing what is available on the net.

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

xor

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
                              Here ya go, everything you ever wanted to know about bomb detectors from the Justice Department if you can believe that. It is truly amazing what is available on the net.

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a

xor
                              Cool link. My pt on Kinko's was that it seems normal that many might run to get something important printed at the last minute (wherever) just before boarding an airplane and be setting these detectors off all the time. If it's commonplace, I just don't see it out here.

Comment

Working...
                              X