Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kindle: Amazon's New Wireless Reading Device...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kindle: Amazon's New Wireless Reading Device...?

Would you spend $400 for a reader?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

xor
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Re: Kindle: Amazon's New Wireless Reading Device...?

I joke about its 1980s-type look, but having seen one on a bus its actually pretty nifty. Being a staunch non-reader I have little utility for a device like that, but could see it being nice for school, college, religious study, etc .. condense a bunch of huge books into a small device.
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

It's on my amazon wish list. I won't buy it, but if a family member gets me one, I won't turn it away. There's already a few hacks for it. The always on internet is kinda cool.

Comment

Though I had no problem ditching newspapers for electronic news, I still prefer reading from a tree-killing, toxic ink laden book. I’m sure I’ll eventually buy a reader but I'm in no hurry to purchase one until the product competition brings the prices down. Then there’s the choice of which one. The "reader" debate is alive and well where I work. One coworker swears by Sony's reader and the other swears by the Kindle. From what I've read those who bought the Kindle love it. Their only complaint was the price.

Comment

It seems pointless, what I mean is if I’m going to haul it around it better do something that none of the other devices I haul around do, if not it’s a waste of time, energy, and money.

If I’m reading this right…

You can surf the tubes, not sure if it’s just blogs, and wiki?
          Take notes
          Receive email
          It’s a Dictionary
          Oh… and read books

Well, a phone, a PSP, a notebook, and a DS, just to list a few things, can all do what this thing can do, and most people carry at least one of those devices, if not all of them around, So why add that thing to the list, a list of things that are all easily broken, lost, or stolen.

After reading some of the reviews I’ve noticed that people either hate it or love it, there’s not a lot of middle ground as far as this device is concerned, so it’s up to you to formulate your own opinion. If you think you’re going to use it a lot, and if it fits into your bag, get it. Personally though I’d never use the damn thing.
          "There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people." -Zedd

Comment

My understanding is that the Kindle isn't meant to be the all-in-wonder be all end all start trek device. It was specifically made larger to cater to people that want a book (paperback) -sized feel to their reading experience. Like I said, I don't read books, so am all about having a phone device that lets me take pictures, play music, irc, and manage a fleet of production servers. Do I write code on my phone? of course not. .. not all use cases fit in my pocket and I'm sure that if I were serious about reading a 300+ manual it would become less feasible on a 5inch or less LCD... let alone as enjoyable on a scifi novel. So I can understand its general design.

That said .. pricing is still pretty expensive considering the scope of usage. ..but, so were microwave ovens and television sets at one time.
            if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

I paid $250 for the Sony Reader (even though I generally don't purchase Sony products) and have been extremely happy. Sony's is essentially output only (no electronic notes, no Internet), but it is also a lot slimmer, more comfortable to hold, looks professional, and has a longer battery life. It is also much more hack-friendly (while not being super-nice and open like the obscenely expensive iLiad).

As some background, I used to read almost primarily on my Palm before this (until I broke the amazing TH-55, I used the Tapwave Zodiac). I did not experience "eye fatigue" from the backlit LCD, and I read at really small fonts (so screen size didn't appear to be a huge issue). I still find that I read a lot more with the Reader than I ever did with the Palm (this despite the fact that the Reader will not fit into my pocket so I have to plan to have it with me).

Thanks to Kovid Goyal who wrote a converter to the Sony format, Calibre, without which the device would be almost useless for what I want (I insist on my books being in HTML and then I conver them as necessary). It was the main reason I didn't go with the Kindle, and I barely understand why all these hardware manufacturers insist on getting into the software game at the same time. There appears to be some momentum behind the ePub format (essentially XHTML with some surrounding metadata), though, so maybe it'll be less of an issue for publishers that don't insist on DRM (such as Baen and O'Reilly). Sony just added native ePub support to the Reader.

For cover-to-cover reading (novels, articles, short stories), the Sony device is great. I wouldn't want to use it for references, but I'm generally working on my laptop during those times when I want a reference.

Originally posted by Fatal Grace View Post
              Well, a phone, a PSP, a notebook, and a DS, just to list a few things, can all do what this thing can do, and most people carry at least one of those devices, if not all of them around, So why add that thing to the list, a list of things that are all easily broken, lost, or stolen.
              Almost the only reason to buy one of these is for the screen. If you are happy reading on your other device, then you don't need an eInk reader. I was happy on my other device, and I still bought an eInk display only to find that I prefer it.

It is a very young market, and the technology is really limited, but it's certainly worth checking out if you are into gadgets. It's kind of like buying a Palm ten years ago: it has a niche market, there are significant advances every few months, and feature-rich cell phones are likely to displace these devices in a few years (companies are already putting flexible, color displays into phones that you can roll out to increase screen real estate).
              Last edited by Voltage Spike; July 30, 2008, 14:07.

Comment

Working...
              X