This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travel agency blues

travel agency's are tellin me that I can't get a "package" if i'm going to a convention because the conventions share their registration list with the hotels on the strip. That essentially means they wanna charge me $800 for the flight plus $190+ (depending on the hotel) a night. This lady tried to tell me everything was booked and that the closest hotel room would be the wynn for $700 a night.
    Um...WTF...
    So when i go to register for defcon, am i gonna have to show an ID or can i use a random handle and get away with paying something between 600-1000 depending on whatever "package" deal i choose?

Re: travel agency blues

Originally posted by fallout View Post
    travel agency's are tellin me that I can't get a "package" if i'm going to a convention because the conventions share their registration list with the hotels on the strip. That essentially means they wanna charge me $800 for the flight plus $190+ (depending on the hotel) a night. This lady tried to tell me everything was booked and that the closest hotel room would be the wynn for $700 a night.
    Um...WTF...
    You should try calling the Riviera directly on the phone and mention you are with Defcon. They may have no rooms available at the Riv unless you call them directly and say you are with Defcon. I don't know of any Las Vegas hotels that check to see if you are really with the convention that you made your reservation with for your visit. Hotels want to make money. :-)

You should try building your own package with various flights and make your own hotel arrangements. Staying at the Riviera provides you with the most convenient access to the convention.

So when i go to register for defcon, am i gonna have to show an ID or can i use a random handle and get away with paying something between 600-1000 depending on whatever "package" deal i choose?
    Badge purchase at Defcon for the convention is Cash. You show convention people no ID. You give them cash, they give you a badge. You don't have to tell them your name, real or otherwise. Heck, they have not have a place for you to write in a name on badges since, Defcon 6? 5?

*Hotel* check-in will require a valid government issued photo ID. What they will count as valid is between you and them. Usually, a state-issued driver's license, or a passport are enough. If you don't want to show an ID, and you know someone else that has a room that you *trust* you can try paying them for floor space, or to use their "extra" bed. Generally speaking, showing an ID at check-in gets you "officially" added to the room, so you can legally gain access to the room if you are locked out by visiting the desk and asking for a key, providing a name and showing your ID again. Not being officially "in" the room means you have an up-hill battle if the "real" hotel guest ever claims you were not someone that should be in the hotel room.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; August 2, 2008, 22:11.

Comment

What a crock.

Seriously, don't try and get a 'package' for the Riviera. That isn't going to work.

First, if you insist on a 'package', try for Circus Circus if you want to be close to the Riviera. If you don't mind walking, Sahara, Imperial Palace, or Harrahs are the next closest hotels that are affordable. (The Wynn, though very nice, is new and thus more expensive than it should be. Even the Venetian's rooms have come down so are more reasonable)

Second, if you don't mind splitting things up, either go through a service like Orbitz or Travelocity, or else do what I did this time: I went to Southwest and bought my airline ticket, went to Harrah's website and purchased the room.

You will come out cheaper in the end. yeah, it is a mile between the Riv and Harrahs, but I'm walking past the Wynn, Venetian, and Imperial Palace. If I want to go over to the Trek convention at the Hilton, the monorail stop is at Harrahs (there is one at the Sahara too), or else I can head to the south strip via monorail a lot easier before and after the convention.

The Riv is sold out Friday/Saturday night, so chances are the Riviera will not be an option in any event.

Comment

I've stayed at the Sahara, and the rates are decent, the location is kind of an easy back and forth to the Riv without having to touch the Strip

someguy

Comment

Working...
        X