Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

airplane bathroom locks (and greetings from Norway)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0x58
    replied
    Re: airplane bathroom locks (and greetings from Norway)

I brought my Yaesu VX-6r on-board with me. I had my ham radio license with me, which came in handy when I tried to explain to the TSA agent why I had a "walkie talkie" with me.

I started out listening in on outbound traffic at PHX airport. When I boarded the plane the pilot was greeting people, so with my HAM license out I asked him what our tail number would be for this flight, and we had a good discussion about radios, him being a HAM himself (owns two radios)! So once I got the number I just followed the announcements for switching to the various frequencies. I was flying business at the time, so when he came out to go to the bathroom he saw me sitting there and came over and asked how I was doing.

At first the passenger sitting next to me looked worried when I had my radio out, but when the pilot came over and talked to me he was put at ease. The passenger next to me was a really nice guy too, was an engineer worked at a metal shop. Had been writing control systems for big laser cutting machines. We ended up talking about micro controllers and how to program them, the different languages, new chips that are being created.

Would I suggest just anyone to start listening in on the air-traffic frequencies? Not unless you know at least some of the lingo and can follow what is going on. Also, you may get hassled for having a portable radio out. If cell phones can cause interference with their 500-1000 mW output, my 5 W radio can do a lot more damage! Also, certain airline companies have the airline traffic control channel on their headset output. So you can just turn to channel 15 (Continental) and you can listen in. This has to be turned on by the pilots though, and sometimes they won't.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
    the size of those restrooms dictates some athletic contortions.
    totally. still... fun to try, all the same, wouldn't you say, render?

Originally posted by renderman View Post
    Dude if you wanted to listen in, you should have asked me, I had my scanner in the bag in the overhead bin! Might not have been a good idea to set that up given our drunken state though.
    heh... it was not a good idea. wasn't that why we decided to wind up in the bathroom? i'd need someone as slim as you to pull it off given my own size and the phone-booth nature of those restrooms.

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    what sort of a radio would be used? i see advice online recommending the range of 118.0 to 135.975 MHz. is that just a basic FM receiver operating outside of the normal entertainment radio frequencies?
    Dude if you wanted to listen in, you should have asked me, I had my scanner in the bag in the overhead bin!

Might not have been a good idea to set that up given our drunken state though.

Leave a comment:

• Thorn
    replied

Originally posted by DJ Jackalope View Post
    Ok, so when trying for the mile high club, do not look frail or confused upon entry into the bathroom.
    Jeez, if you going to do that, I hope you aren't frail. Let's face it, the size of those restrooms dictates some athletic contortions.

Or so I hear...

Leave a comment:

• DJ Jackalope
    replied

Originally posted by Cranial View Post
    Also to help release the frail/confused who require assistance,
    Ok, so when trying for the mile high club, do not look frail or confused upon entry into the bathroom.

Leave a comment:

• Cranial
    replied

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
    BTW - the purpose of those hidden latches is so flight attendants can lock those doors as rquired by the FAA during takeoff and landing.
    Also to help release the frail/confused who require assistance, and to externally lock the door of an unserviceable lavatory as required by civil aviation authorities. (Locking it out is so much more pleasant than fixing a blocked Lav).

Leave a comment:

• Thorn
    replied

what sort of a radio would be used? i see advice online recommending the range of 118.0 to 135.975 MHz. is that just a basic FM receiver operating outside of the normal entertainment radio frequencies?
    Nope. It's that frequency range, but is AM.

Older, so called "transistor" radios can be modified to listen to ATC transmissions. It's done but repositioning the FM band. Surprisingly, the AM transmissions are picked up, if you are in close proximity to the airport, probably because the intermediate stage doesn't have very good rejection, and the RF signal is so strong near the control tower.

MAKE Vol. 09, page 27 has instructions on how to do it. It's actually a very simple hardware hack, requiring nothing more than a small screwdriver.

Of course, if you really want to listen to this stuff other than within 1000 feet from the tower or inside the passenger cabin of a commercial airliner, you can buy specific aircraft band receivers. Rat Shack used to sell a pocket sized receiver, and you can probably still find them eBay or the like. A lot of shortwave receivers also have the aircraft band. e.g. the Grundig G6 Aviator, which gets AM/FM, aircraft band and shortwave.
    Last edited by Thorn; October 18, 2008, 10:45. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• xor
    replied

Here ya go and have fun...

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.pdf

Everything you ever wanted to know about frequency allocation and were afraid to ask. Don't try and print it out, it's big, very big.

xor

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by 0x58 View Post
    bringing a radio on board to listen to air traffic control is fun

Leave a comment:

• DaKahuna
    replied

So what were your intentions?
    Since I make it a practice of not to kiss and tell that information, my dear, shall remain between the stewardess and myself.

Actually - I simply informed her that I had every intention of drinking the entire bottle of Shiraz before trying to get some sleep.

Leave a comment:

• 0x58
    replied

I knew about the little latch on the outside of the lavatories for the longest time. Ever since I started flying ... was not aware that this was something most people did not know about.

I know most of the steps they have to take to close/open the doors, I know exactly what the procedures are to let the pilots come out of their cockpit for bathroom breaks/switch offs on long flights, know how to look for the undercover agents, the steps that the stewardesses are supposed to take during take off/landing.

Paying attention ... it is not just for class anymore.

Oh, bringing a radio on board to listen to air traffic control is fun :D.

Leave a comment:

• DJ Jackalope
    replied

Originally posted by renderman View Post
    Can one of you explain then where the bottle of baileys came from in my carry-on?
    Left over from Norway??? I would have raided your bag had i known it was there! We only bought the two giant vodka bottles...

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied

Speaking of Bailey's: my favorite thing to do is get some iced coffee in the airport and get some Baily's added to it as soon as the drinks start going around.
    Can one of you explain then where the bottle of baileys came from in my carry-on?

Leave a comment:

• DJ Jackalope
    replied

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
    I only managed to consume one bottle of Shiraz, I simply told the flight attendant my intentions when she served me my pre-meal drink and she said okay and left the bottle with me.

Speaking of Bailey's: my favorite thing to do is get some iced coffee in the airport and get some Baily's added to it as soon as the drinks start going around.

Leave a comment:

• DaKahuna
    replied

BTW - the purpose of those hidden latches is so flight attendants can lock those doors as rquired by the FAA during takeoff and landing.

Am glad to see that if my calculations are correct, your total per person alcoholic intake exceeded that of mine on my flight from London to Dulles today. I only managed to consume one bottle of Shiraz, I simply told the flight attendant my intentions when she served me my pre-meal drink and she said okay and left the bottle with me.

I thing had two of the small bottles of Bailey's with coffee with the "afternoon tea" service about an hour before landing.

Of course I get the opportunity to repeat my IAD-LHR-IAD trip the end of the month.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X