X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SarperDomain
    replied
    Re: Dual-Layer DVD-r compatibilty

I agree with 0x58, I have not had a spot of trouble with Verbatim.
    I would also recommend Sony, out of the 830 I recently burned (local DefCon group thing, don't ask) I only had 2 unsuccessful burns.

Leave a comment:

• 0x58
    replied

I personally find the Ritek disks to be iffy. In my experience they tend to not work in several DVD readers, and they also have issues burning. Out of the 50 that I had, about 15 of them were coasters. I bought some Verbatim disks thereafter and all of them except 1 burned successfully, and that one was my fault as at the time I was in a car and my laptop was not entirely stable.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    hmm, most of the dual layer blank media i'm seeing are +R as opposed to -R
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvd
    Originally posted by url
    DVD-R DL
    DVD-R DL or called DVD-R9 is a Dual Layer writeable DVD-R. The dual layered discs can hold 7.95 computer GB* (called DVD-9) and dual layered double sides 15.9* computer GB (called dvd-18).

DVD+R DL
    DVD+R DL or called DVD+R9 is a Dual Layer writeable DVD+R. The dual layered discs can hold 7.95 computer GB* (called DVD-9) and dual layered double sides 15.9* computer GB (called dvd-18).
    Also
    Originally posted by url
    DVD-R and DVD-RW
    DVD-R was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
    DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.

DVD+R and DVD+RW
    DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    Example of DVD-R for sale:
    http://www.supermediastore.com/dvd-p...r-section.html
    do a find() in page for "dvd-r" and you will eventually find 2 examples of these disks. (Ritek and Verbatim)

HTH (Hope This Helps)

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
    No problems with dual layer DVD-R... incompatibility with DVD+R, DVD+/-RW, DVD-RAM, and similar media which is not DVD-R
    hmm, most of the dual layer blank media i'm seeing are +R as opposed to -R

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    Hey all,

The Traveling Terabyte Project has something in the works for his coming holiday season and part of it will involve recorded DVD-ROMs. I will be packing about 8+ GB of data onto discs and this of course means either using a pair of DVD or getting Dual-Layer discs.

My concern is not one of compatibility with my home system (i do indeed have a dual-layer burner... i'm not a retard) but rather compatibility for those who receive the discs.

I've read online and some folks claim that their DVD drives (which should all be dual-layer certified since many pressed discs are dual layer) get a bit fussy with them. Most manufacturers simply rant and rave about how their discs are great.

What is your experience? I would really like to just use a single disc in these care pacakges... i just don't want to send a lot of DVDs to the field and have the folks who need a morale boos the most wind up just getting frustrated.

Thoughts?
    No problems with dual layer DVD-R on older, and cheaper drives, even home DVD players. Obviously, you know about incompatibility with DVD+R, DVD+/-RW, DVD-RAM, and similar media which is not DVD-R (especially on older players.)

I have noticed that some burned dual layer DVD-R which were created for playback by home media DVD players, have had a more pronounce delay on layer transition with feature-length films than many of the pressed DVD, but I don't know why. (Most people don't even notice this, and more expensive system avoid this, probably with larger buffers.)

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    started a topic Dual-Layer DVD-r compatibilty

Dual-Layer DVD-r compatibilty

Hey all,

The Traveling Terabyte Project has something in the works for his coming holiday season and part of it will involve recorded DVD-ROMs. I will be packing about 8+ GB of data onto discs and this of course means either using a pair of DVD or getting Dual-Layer discs.

My concern is not one of compatibility with my home system (i do indeed have a dual-layer burner... i'm not a retard) but rather compatibility for those who receive the discs.

I've read online and some folks claim that their DVD drives (which should all be dual-layer certified since many pressed discs are dual layer) get a bit fussy with them. Most manufacturers simply rant and rave about how their discs are great.

What is your experience? I would really like to just use a single disc in these care pacakges... i just don't want to send a lot of DVDs to the field and have the folks who need a morale boos the most wind up just getting frustrated.

Thoughts?
Working...
X