Hhv 2009!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hhv 2009!!

First of all, there won't be any information on badges prior to con. that's just the way it is.

there will be different kits this year. I'm already working on one.

Comment

Originally posted by LosT View Post
      First of all, there won't be any information on badges prior to con. that's just the way it is.

there will be different kits this year. I'm already working on one.
      I am looking forward to see that kit, I already have a few ideas, I can't wait to see what I can do with that kit
      Love is a Mental Illness

Comment

There may be a mystery challenge tie-in with the hhv this year...

Comment

afterburn188 said something to the effect of where to buy (parts) without having to by bulk and without paying through the nose? My suggestion would be www.jameco.com price is decent and they don't require you to buy 1000's of peices (or even 100's from what I've seen) also I seem to remember www.sciplus.com selling interesting odds and ends that might be of some use. Hope this is of some use to anyone who has bothered reading this far.

Comment

Volunteer Check - Who's attending DC this year and who's been taken out by the borked economy?

My own sugardaddy ride has ended for paid trips to conferences now. My company was sold and the new owners (who are keeping me gainfully employed) don't budget or pay for things like this. Soooo, I'm a tentative for attending DC17. I'm planning to be there but it's a chunk of change when you fly solo. How is everyone else doing?

SD

Comment

I, too, am unpaid for travel, expenses, and cons. I will be there none the less.
              "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Originally posted by sugardaddy View Post
                Volunteer Check - Who's attending DC this year and who's been taken out by the borked economy?
                What and miss out/leave you to have all the fun and fumes? I'll be making the trek one way or another. Just might not be able to bring as many toys as last year. Only time will tell... Let's at least make sure we make the trip worth it by kicking the village up a notch!
                afterburn

Comment

Greetings all.

Lucky for me I live only 250 miles away on the other side of the Mojave desert. Since I drive in I can bring more toys. I am working on getting my wife in there to help with soldering but she does not want to hang the entire time just some soldering time,

Comment

I debated long and hard. Drive or Fly. 1280 miles.

If I fly..
                    Costs of extra bags on the airlines.
                    Taxi's in Vegas to get to the BBQ and Sushicon.
                    Postage for mailing boxes of prizes, shirts, swag to the con.
                    Cost of the hotel holding the boxes for pickup.
                    Packing my bags so they dont exceed airline weight limits.

If I drive
                    I get some photography opportunities along the way, have a car to use while Im in Vegas, can bring extra gear to the con, and no problems getting everything back.

My only concern is feeling like Im dead after a week in Vegas, and then the long drive back.

Comment

Originally posted by [Syntax] View Post
                      I debated long and hard. Drive or Fly. 1280 miles.

If I fly..
                      Costs of extra bags on the airlines.
                      Taxi's in Vegas to get to the BBQ and Sushicon.
                      Postage for mailing boxes of prizes, shirts, swag to the con.
                      Cost of the hotel holding the boxes for pickup.
                      Packing my bags so they dont exceed airline weight limits.

If I drive
                      I get some photography opportunities along the way, have a car to use while Im in Vegas, can bring extra gear to the con, and no problems getting everything back.

My only concern is feeling like Im dead after a week in Vegas, and then the long drive back.
                      I hear what you're saying. I just drove to ChicagoCon from Philly last weekend. About 1500 miles round trip with a 12 hour drive on either side. Granted, 1.5 days there wasn't anything like a weekend of Defcon or a full week of Vegas but it was a drive nonetheless. Personally it worked for me. Here again I was footing the travel costs so using my own car saved me lots of cash (no plane ticket, baggage fees, rental car, airport parking, etc.). If you can get someone to ride with you I'd say drive. You can always rest up Sunday night to prep for the drive back on Monday/Tuesday.

SD

Comment

I hear what you're saying. I just drove to ChicagoCon from Philly last weekend. About 1500 miles round trip with a 12 hour drive on either side. Granted, 1.5 days there wasn't anything like a weekend of Defcon or a full week of Vegas but it was a drive nonetheless. Personally it worked for me. Here again I was footing the travel costs so using my own car saved me lots of cash (no plane ticket, baggage fees, rental car, airport parking, etc.). If you can get someone to ride with you I'd say drive. You can always rest up Sunday night to prep for the drive back on Monday/Tuesday.

SD
                        Hope you can make it this year SD.

Comment

How is everyone else doing?

SD
                          I will be there. I am also coming by truck, and from south of the Dam. Hoping that the company has less to say about how I spend my time at the Con, so I can help more in the HHV.

TS
                          -------------------------------------
                          Vaka vanha Väinämöinen
                          käski nuoren, käski vanhan

Comment

I am going this year (4th Defcon) and would like to help. Do I PM someone or?

Thanks
                            Birukun
                            "Shop smart, Shop S-Mart"

Comment

Originally posted by birukun View Post
                              I am going this year (4th Defcon) and would like to help. Do I PM someone or?

Thanks
                              Birukun
                              That's a good question Birukun. Most of us on the HHV threads are volunteers as well with the exception of LoST and Russ (and probably A).

I realized last night that we're only 6 weeks from DefCon but I haven't seen any recent posts on coordinating efforts, people, supplies, etc. I recommend keeping your eyes on the HHV section of the forums as I'm sure Russ will post something soon about getting names of volunteers, etc. Perhaps it would help to start a new thread specifically asking about who's running the show, etc. I'll do that tonight if no one higher up in the DC echelon responds to this thread.

SD

Comment

Russ and I will determine who will be volunteers. Joe is making suggestions as well.

We are working on scheduling, etc...

LosT

Comment

Working...
                                X