Hhv 2009!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hhv 2009!!

Okay I am starting to get some public tools and supplies ready for the HHV. Here is what I plan on bringing and sharing:
    Rolls of solder
    Cleaning supplies for solder cleanup
    several irons
    basic tools
    several magnifiers (some with lights)
    heat gun
    toaster oven (If anyone thinks we need one!)
    A fan
    electronics parts and assorted populated PCBs.
    a small supply of wire
    An older laptop with USB will be made available while I am there to baby sit it.
    Several Digital Multi-meters

I have an old analog Tek O-scope I can also bring if some thinks there is a need.

I will be digging around in the garage to see what else I have.

For select few I will have some solder paste and more parts to share as well as some good tools.
    Last edited by bombnav; July 8, 2009, 08:50.

Comment

Picked up four more tubes of solder paste for the HHV. Might come in handy for badge work.

Comment

Alright bombnav! This year is going to be fun, that is for sure..
        afterburn

Comment

Yea we could have used some last year thats for sure with those SMT USB connectors on the badges.

QUOTE=afterburn188;106563]Alright bombnav! This year is going to be fun, that is for sure..[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by afterburn188 View Post
            Alright sounds like the old gang is getting back together
            THE BAND!!!!

Another thing that would be nice would be to formalize those talks a bit. Those ones that Smitty did sure was a blast. It would be nice to get more of those going. Maybe some more interaction activities would be great? We'll have to see what we can do.
            Aww, shucks... *kicks a rock*

I have a very hardware related talk I'm giving in the SkyTalks this year at 11am on Saturday. There's time for a Q&A after my talk, but I suspect I'll be heading back to the HHV afterword and helping people do some assembly. It doesn't really have a "kit" perse, but I probably will be bringing several of the bits needed.

A quick preview: My talk is on techniques for stealthily monitoring an established Ethernet network. :-D

Wonder what people have been up to with those FPGAs? Anyone have some stories they'd like to share? I personally would love to hear.
            I feel a little guilty, I haven't done much (read: anything) with mine yet. I've been concentrating on other projects this year that haven't needed anything so complex as an FPGA. But I still have it and I'm still thinking about it. A future version of my Ethernet sniffing project may involve FPGAs, so its definitely in the forefront of my mind.

I'm really getting excited about DC17. :-D

-Mark

Comment

Originally posted by sugardaddy View Post
              Volunteer Check - Who's attending DC this year and who's been taken out by the borked economy?
              I shall be there, as well as BH the week before. I saw a few emails from Russ earlier this year, but haven't seen anything recently. I'm getting a little worried that my name has dropped off the list (or worse, was intentionally removed.)

-Mark

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
                I shall be there, as well as BH the week before. I saw a few emails from Russ earlier this year, but haven't seen anything recently. I'm getting a little worried that my name has dropped off the list (or worse, was intentionally removed.)

-Mark
                You aren't the only person that hasn't heard anything. At least on my part, I think its the tie. It can be a little unnerving.

I will be bringing a few white boards, for anyone that might need to sketch for the crowd to see. I am also still working up a little black box, though there has been little feedback on interest, or space available, or just fear of the tie.
                -------------------------------------
                Vaka vanha Väinämöinen
                käski nuoren, käski vanhan

Comment

Soldering iron temperatures

To those bringing temperature-controlled irons this year -- for the love of god (and newbs), please put some sort of mark on the thing to show the proper temperature (I like 600 deg F).

Last year I didn't think to check the setting of the iron I was using to solder my mini-USB connector onto my badge, and ended up lifting the pads; when I looked at the dial, it was set to 800 degrees, as were the other 4 or 5 irons I saw around the room. I was able to crank it back down to 600 degrees and solder some jumper wires onto exposed traces (eww), but it sucked.

I went around and turned the dials on all the irons down to 600 degrees and got some dirty looks from people -- when I came back later that evening, they were all back up at 800 degrees. :(

Comment

I'm bringing some stuff, but not a lot. I'll have a couple multi-meters (A: You bringing mine from last year?), some solder, a double soldering iron, and some random crap. No O-Scopes this year; I don't think they got used last year, and they're awfully large to ask someone else to lug around for me (I'm flying this year.)

Comment

Working...
                    X