X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• astcell
    replied
    pay to party

Oh I understand paying to party, but paying yo stay at pool #3? I guess the family can stay in bathing suits and have a towel and always be okay. Seriously, a wristband for the back half of the hotel should suffice. Then again I could encourage them to take full part of the entire event since they must pay full price.

if the rules change in mid-stream it'd be nice if AP would offer refunds based on those who signed up under the old rules.

Leave a comment:

• tommEE
    replied
    my favorite badge was Defcon 7 'cause they were like "clink!" Anyways, I like throwing the Moloch parties but this year we might have difficulty with the space. If you know of anyone who might want to help out this year, gimmee a shout.

Leave a comment:

• TechnoWeenie
    replied
    suggestion

Here is what I would do if you are planning on bringing someone with you:

1. IF you want to stay at the Alexis Park, plan on paying.
    2. IF you do not want to pay, stay somewhere else.

I am sure that the enforcement of the badge rule will be considerate of people in pools, and just going to and from locations. I know that this new rule is to stop the 'locals' and those that do not pay for con, yet show up for the 'party' and act in a way that is not benificial to all. Nothing personal, but this convention IS there for folks to LEARN, not just to come and party.

Hey... I LOVE the party, and do so. But many just come to be part of it party, and nothing else.

TW

Leave a comment:

• octalpus
    replied
    Re: 666

Originally posted by astcell
    And I guess the badges will have to be worn while in the pool, ...
    I must say, I really liked the badge design last year, as far as its waterproof nature. Now if I could just afford a waterproof laptop and radio, I'd be fully equipped!

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

And I guess the badges will have to be worn while in the pool, or traveling from any point A to point B, while running out for ice at 2am... This sounds like it'll be a royal pain to enforce. My experience with the hotel security last year was that a number of them could use English lessons, and the rest have yet to discover the miracle of soap.

Leave a comment:

• converge
    replied
    then there could be snipers posted to take out people missing wristbands, helicopters flying above to ... o wait..

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    specifics

I just read on the DCX page that a badge will be required to be on the hotel grounds. Not in the con rooms, just AT the hotel. Now in the past I had family come with me and hang out by the far pool, not even getting near the front half of the con. So this will not be allowed this year?

Seems a good argument for getting a different hotel. Family will not attend the con, but I have to pony up $75 for them? Each?

If worried about those passing through, maybe wristbands would be a better deal, to be able to tell those registered at the hotel.

With a non-refundable first day already paid, it sucks to have it all come to this. I can cancel my reservation and change hotels, forfeit a C note, and then save $75 per person.

Rats.

Leave a comment:

• TechnoWeenie
    replied
    Re: Re: Badge

Originally posted by russ

If we sold out, it wouldn't probably be until late morning Saturday or early afternoon. But I do NOT expect that to happen. We've been pretty good about buying TOO MANY damn badges now.

:-)
    HA... ran out last year... I remember having to hand out DC8 badges (left overs) to late arrivals. THEY really wanted the cool badge..

tw

Leave a comment:

• converge
    replied
    thats sad... buying a badge without attending... i'm sorry, that's just sad

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    extra badges?

If you have too many badges you can always slap them on Ebay after the show. Heck, ask fifty bucks for them still.

Leave a comment:

• russ
    replied
    Re: Badge

Originally posted by B|ackCat
    Will we still be able to pick up or badges for the D10 on Thurs. when we get off plane? It will be about 9pm. We won't be checking into Alexis till Friday.
    Also If you do sell out. (Not saying it will happen) what happens to the people who have reservations at the Alexis?
    (I am a worrier) A non-refundable reservation Sucks.
    If we sold out, it wouldn't probably be until late morning Saturday or early afternoon. But I do NOT expect that to happen. We've been pretty good about buying TOO MANY damn badges now.

:-)

Leave a comment:

• tommEE
    replied
    The Defcon Cannonball Run is supposed to have a party Thursday night also but I didn't know that the lounge would be open then also. Is there any idea when the lounge thing will start, if so maybe this is where we will give out the prizes to the winners of the race and welcome all the arrivals.

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied
    Goon question - does DC hotsite before the con somewhere to test the rig before it's installed (ala N/I), or just hope and pray?
    hahahaha..hotsite..pre-planning..you're a crackup..seriously tho, one nice thing about doing it at the same place every year is that we can slowly build up infrastructure. It actualy takes very little to get the network hot now. Hopefully we will have it up for Thursday.

Speaking of Thursday and goings on, this year we're going to provide some entertainment for ya'll. Bink will have the DC Lounge up and operational on Thursday so feel free to swing by, have a drink, listen to some music, and hopefully get on the network. In addition to that we're thinking about having the main hall open and doing an 'open mic night'. We did this at DC2 and it rocked. And to keep it from getting lame, we're instituting 'Gong Show' rules on the improv speakers. If you suck, everyone's gonna let you know..

Leave a comment:

• B|ackCat
    replied
    Badge

Will we still be able to pick up or badges for the D10 on Thurs. when we get off plane? It will be about 9pm. We won't be checking into Alexis till Friday.
    Also If you do sell out. (Not saying it will happen) what happens to the people who have reservations at the Alexis?
    (I am a worrier) A non-refundable reservation Sucks.

Leave a comment:

• russ
    replied
    DefCon Questions

The network is usually being worked on Thursday. So it may or may not be up that early.

LOTS of people start hanging out on Thursday. Usually at the bar or out by the pool. We don't let many people into the con area as we're trying to get things set up.

The limit on the badges for this con is "when they're gone". We've only run out a couple of times and I don't suspect this will be one of those times. But when they're gone, we have to make the painful decision on whether we want to try to haxor some up real quick to allow more folks in. But I'm getting hints that the badges this year most likely can't be duplicated in short order, so I'd guess that once we're sold out, we're sold out.

TW is right about the hotel. You dont have to stay at the AP (I never do) but you MUST have a DC badge to get on to the property once the party starts.

uhhhh, oh yeah. volunteering..... Hook up with one of the senior goons on Wed or Thurs and we'll see what there is to do. We're expecting to need more help this year than before and we're looking for people who are willing to bust their ass to be a goon. If you're just looking to donate an hour or two, get a red shirt and disappear into the crowd then you should re-think your plans. :-)

I think that's it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X