X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can the forums be made better? [Q1 2009]

How can the forums be made better?
    (I've not asked this in a while.)

The Newbie-Space, and Newbie Support, and "Hi! I'm New!" discussions have shown I should once again poll with this.

So, restated: How can the forums be made better?

Re: How can the forums be made better? [Q1 2009]

They are perfect. The interface maybe getting a little busy but other than that I'm very happy with the forums and the mod's.

Good job to all involved.

xor

The expression "if it ain't broke don't fix it" was written long before computers came into existence. I feel however it was written for computers. It should be enshrined in gold above every sysadmins office.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

One change, the infinite log-on loop of hell. When I have the exact steps to recreate it I'll let you know.

Basically:

It asks you to log-on twice.

Go to the upper corner and log-on
      Then it takes you to the main log-on screen, where you log-on again
      Then it tells you that you are already logged on and to click proceed.
      The it redirects you to a page that instructs you to hit the back button, you are already logged on.
      The page that instructed you to proceed is what you back up to.
      Hitting proceed, redirects you to a page that instructs you to hit the back button, you are already logged on.

vexing loop continues until you bail.

xor
      Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Sounds like malformed cookies. Next time you see this, try deleting cookies for defcon.org and then reload and see if it happens again. If it does, then I'd like to know what browser and OS (versions and names) you are using to see if I can duplicate this,

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
          Sounds like malformed cookies. Next time you see this, try deleting cookies for defcon.org and then reload and see if it happens again. If it does, then I'd like to know what browser and OS (versions and names) you are using to see if I can duplicate this,

Thanks!
          Hah! I've been through even bigger hell, including wiping out all the cookies, resetting everything, trying to register a new account (and that one REALLY doesn't work), you name it, I did it. The only thing that told me I wasn't completely de-ranged was that I could use my account to log into the pics site.

I finally went through resetting my password, and then going throught the login hell described by xor, and now I have a stupid password that I have to go off and change (but I'm hoping to get this post off first).

[Edit]

In addition, I've had others try, and the crazy thing that xor describes seems to be universal. BTW, you can safely ignore the email I sent on this ;-}
          Last edited by shrdlu; January 12, 2009, 12:58.

Comment

Was this recent? If this happened to you at or around the same time, maybe the firewall's failing memory, as reported by DT, was part of the cause?

If you remember, when was it? Anyone else experience this problems described? If you found this problem too, when did you see it?

Maybe we can squeeze this failure into a small enough window that we can examine service logs from around that time for errors.

If it happened last Friday or yesterday, that could have been related to the announced and scheduled work I was doing on the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
              One change, the infinite log-on loop of hell. When I have the exact steps to recreate it I'll let you know.

Basically:

It asks you to log-on twice.

Go to the upper corner and log-on
              Then it takes you to the main log-on screen, where you log-on again
              Then it tells you that you are already logged on and to click proceed.
              The it redirects you to a page that instructs you to hit the back button, you are already logged on.
              The page that instructed you to proceed is what you back up to.
              Hitting proceed, redirects you to a page that instructs you to hit the back button, you are already logged on.

vexing loop continues until you bail.

xor

I run into this issue with both Chrome and Firefox. Simplest fix is just entering forums.defcon.org/ back into the address bar after logging in, but still annoying.

Edit: Timeframe. Yesterday evening/night and just a few moments ago when I logged in again from a new computer.
              " 'Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation' yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation."
              - Willard Orman Van Quine

Comment

It also happened to me twice today using Firefox 3.0.5. I haven't tried IE or Chrome but after reading moleprince's post, I guess it won't matter. My first one occurred around 3:00 PM and then it happened again just a minute ago.

Comment

Originally posted by moleprince View Post
                  I run into this issue with both Chrome and Firefox. Simplest fix is just entering forums.defcon.org/ back into the address bar after logging in, but still annoying.

Edit: Timeframe. Yesterday evening/night and just a few moments ago when I logged in again from a new computer.
                  Thanks, I'll check and see what has changed in the last 48 hours.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check and see what has changed in the last 48 hours.
                    I don't think even 48 hours. I logged in last night at 10 pm or so (Pacific), with no problems. This morning, before I'd even had adequate caffeine, borked. Registering is part of the problem (i.e. the register link gives you the same issue, and since you don't have an account yet, you just aren't going to be able to register).

Comment

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
                      I don't think even 48 hours. I logged in last night at 10 pm or so (Pacific), with no problems. This morning, before I'd even had adequate caffeine, borked. Registering is part of the problem (i.e. the register link gives you the same issue, and since you don't have an account yet, you just aren't going to be able to register).
                      Thanks. That narrows it down. I'll be reviewing the changes made to add the search engine forms and the "fake forum" for people to introduce themselves, which really takes them to their blogs.

Comment

I've never had the "double login" thing and i use FireFox. However, i still have that "dark buttons" weirdness that's been going on for ages.

when i compose any posts the interface looks like this...

then if i move my mouse across any buttons, they highlight and then look normal once the mouse moves away...

"I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                        - Trent Reznor

Comment

I can report exactly the same as Deviant Ollam above - not login problems but the 'dark buttons' bug.

[Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.5) Gecko/2008121623 / Firefox/3.0.5]

Edit to add: Aside from that I'd like to add that having only just discovered /dev/random () I think the forum is pretty 'spot on' - I've always liked the brutal moderation style and intolerance of fucktards, as it appears to keep the Signal to Noise Ratio higher than anywhere else. Having run a few boards myself I know what a total PITA it can be.
                          Last edited by BackatchaBandit; January 12, 2009, 14:55.

Comment

Ok then. Two things being investigated are the double login issue and the older blackened buttons thing. That came with the new theme but wasn't in the theme when we imported it. One of the upgrdes probably broke something int he new theme, so we'll have to track that one down too.

I did find some problems with not closing a <strong> tag until after a fake anchor was displayed, but that shouldn't have caused the problems observed. I also found a case where a table wasn't properly closed, but that was near the bottom.

I'll keep looking.

Comment

I'll keep looking.
                              Oh yeah. I just ran it against a validator and found a few other errors -- one of which was near a <form> </form>.

Please try again and let me know if you see this same problem.

If this double-login mistake is now fixed, then I am to blame for causing it.

I can't believe you actually *expect* me to provide content that is syntactically correct. ;-)

If this does not fix the problems you are seeing, I can talk to DT to see if anyone has made any changes to the way cookies might be filtered on the firewall.

(Obviously, it would be great if you could clear your cache, drop your defcon.org, forum.defcon.org domain-related cookies and restart your web browser before trying again so that we are working from a known good state without any old cached content.)

Comment

Working...
                              X