Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you make your own food to eat in your hotel room at DEFCON?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sintax_error
    replied
    Re: Do you make your own food to eat in your hotel room at DEFCON?

Depends on where I'm staying and arrangements that I make. Some hotel rooms have kitchenettes, others will toss you if they find you have brought and used your own appliances. The norm for me tends to be fast food, the am-pm off the parking lot of the riv, some snacks packed in the cooler, and if I'm going with a group, a nice dinner at a good restaurant. And if you're coming from Southern California, it's heresy to not stop by in Baker and stock up on Alien jerky for the weekend.

Leave a comment:

• g3k_
    replied

I've only gone once, but the group I'm going with is planning on PB&J for breakfast and lunch, then maybe going out to dinner every night. Food was a huge cost for me last year.

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied

I bring things like granola bars or Ensure meal replacement drinks. That is usually because I never leave the contest area.

Leave a comment:

• streaker69
    replied

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
    My room usually has had a microwave (where I can heat water to have oatmeal). Failing that, I'd just use a little coffee pot for hot water (for the same). I think you will discover that anything similar to the cooking device you mention will get you tossed out on your ear.
    Bring your own dishwashing detergent if you're gonna use the coffee pots in the rooms.

Leave a comment:

• shrdlu
    replied

Originally posted by Ne0nRa1n View Post
    I must admit that despite my best efforts last year, I just never made it to the grocery store in Las Vegas. This year I am thinking about bringing an electric hot pot and some dried food with me.

I was wondering since it was mentioned that there might not be a fully-operational food court, how many people cook their own food to eat at DEFCON? Eating out three times a day is really expensive so I always at least try to bring a kettle to have instant oatmeal.
    My room usually has had a microwave (where I can heat water to have oatmeal). Failing that, I'd just use a little coffee pot for hot water (for the same). I think you will discover that anything similar to the cooking device you mention will get you tossed out on your ear.

I bring almost all my own food to defcon, probably eating 1/3 or less of my meals out. I recommend apples as an essential. If you're just packing things, and not going to make it to the grocery, then dried fruit is the most important.

Leave a comment:

• Do you make your own food to eat in your hotel room at DEFCON?

I must admit that despite my best efforts last year, I just never made it to the grocery store in Las Vegas. This year I am thinking about bringing an electric hot pot and some dried food with me.

I was wondering since it was mentioned that there might not be a fully-operational food court, how many people cook their own food to eat at DEFCON? Eating out three times a day is really expensive so I always at least try to bring a kettle to have instant oatmeal.

Does anyone else do this, or am I the only crazy one as per usual?
Working...
X