X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• renderman
    replied
    Re: La$ vega$ wirele$$ acce$$

Once we get closer to con I think I'll seek to round up a few people with some sacrificial OS's to test some of these weird SSID's and write up exactly what dirty tricks they are trying

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied

Originally posted by bascule View Post
    Yeah, so I'm out here in Vegas for a trade show. I tether to my iPhone over WiFi (using PDAnet, which is a quasi-free app available if you hack your phone)

So, I'm looking through lists of wireless networks WTFing at their SSIDs.

"LA$ VEGA$ WIRELE$$ ACCE$$" is probably the weirdest SSID I've spotted. There's also "Travelocity on Location" which sounds legit but I don't have any desire to join it. As always there's "Free Public WiFi". Also: Cox-Hospitality.

WTF is LA$ VEGA$ WIRELE$$ ACCE$$?
    I remember the first year of the WWWD someone found one around the Hard Rock that was beaconing as 'wardriving is ilegal'(sic)

Leave a comment:

• sintax_error
    replied

Saw some of the same ones out there last month... I recall Cox-Hospitality, and many variants being all over the place around the Wynn /TI area during random site surveys, more frequently than I previously remember.

I think my personal favorite Vegas bogus SSID has to be "Free-CircusCircus-Cox-Hotspot". Which had great reception, I've got to admit, especially seeing as how I was at the Sahara... Food for thought: name your fake hotspot something plausible. Just planting seeds.

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied

If memory serves it's an extension of the creepy guys on the street corner handing out the pr0n flyers.

Gets you connected and fires up ads. My test VM was being annoying last time I checked it out but I seem to recall that SSID being a major ad tarpit.

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    started a topic La$ vega$ wirele$$ acce$$

La$ vega$ wirele$$ acce$$

Yeah, so I'm out here in Vegas for a trade show. I tether to my iPhone over WiFi (using PDAnet, which is a quasi-free app available if you hack your phone)

So, I'm looking through lists of wireless networks WTFing at their SSIDs.

"LA$ VEGA$ WIRELE$$ ACCE$$" is probably the weirdest SSID I've spotted. There's also "Travelocity on Location" which sounds legit but I don't have any desire to join it. As always there's "Free Public WiFi". Also: Cox-Hospitality.

WTF is LA$ VEGA$ WIRELE$$ ACCE$$?
Working...
X