Clear All

• valanx
    replied
    Re: Twitter hacked again

Originally posted by b0n3z View Post
    Superman?

And if it is that should be Lois...
    sigh..

So in mentioning superman, it reminded me that the last time I ran a DoD audit about 12% of the passwords were some form of "superman". Strangely, nobody had a password called "overbearingego" or "napoleoncomplex".

But that was a few years ago, maybe they have moved on to transformers underwear now.

Leave a comment:

• the-Jaku
    replied

to bad about the ahi encontre jajaj It must Twiker a gymnast I'm The-Jakue because I am Latino and I hope to learn from you and you learn from me. .

Leave a comment:

• b0n3z
    replied

OHHHHH.....

my age is showing cause I've still never seen that movie....

xP

Leave a comment:

• Thorn
    replied

Superman?

Nope, it's the exit line from Casablanca: Rick Blane (Humphrey Bogart) says it to Prefect of Police Louis Renault (Claude Rains): "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Louis is French, and it is pronounce "loo ee".
    Last edited by Thorn; May 1, 2009, 20:59. Reason: Typo

Leave a comment:

• b0n3z
    replied

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
    Louis1ThinkThisIsTheBeginningOfABe4utifulFriend-ship
    Superman?

Leave a comment:

• Thorn
    replied

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
    I tell my users that if they forget their password to come to me and I'll change it to something that's easy to remember like: I'madumbassandican'tremembermypassword
    Actually, that's the kind of password that I suggest to my client's users. Take a phrase that is familiar to them from a hobby, book, or favorite line from TV or movie. Run it all together, and throw in a few numbers or other characters.

That gives them something that is complex, yet they should able to recall relatively easily.

A couple of examples, from a Casablanca fan:

r1cksCAFEamerican
    Every1Comes2Ricks
    M4jorStr4sserHasBeenSh0t&RoundUpTheUsualSuspects
    Louis1ThinkThisIsTheBeginningOfABe4utifulFriend-ship

I doesn't always work though, as I still find Post-It notes with passwords under keyboards.

Originally posted by noid View Post
    or you can just mash up racial slurs and obscenities, toss in a few extended characters, and wah-lah..fun for the whole family (and possibly your HR department)..
    Anything that gives HR people ulcers can't be all bad.

Leave a comment:

• b0n3z
    replied

Originally posted by xor View Post
    Stop hackers!!! there's no stopping us, didn't you know that. We can launch nuclear missiles over the phone with a Captain Crunch kazoo. xor
    damnit, I forgot my kazoo!!!

I brought the launch codes and the cheetos though!

Leave a comment:

• xor
    replied

not surprising necessarily....but still wouldn't you want to at least TRY to stop hackers?

what a day and age we live in...
    Stop hackers!!! there's no stopping us, didn't you know that. We can launch nuclear missiles over the phone with a Captain Crunch kazoo.

Yes I couldn't agree with you more. Someone needs to be watching the store. Vigilance perhaps above all things is a security professional greatest tool.

xor

Leave a comment:

• b0n3z
    replied

Originally posted by xor View Post
    Drexel didn't, my school e-mail account got hacked for SPAM purposes even with a password that contained letters and numbers. xor
    not surprising necessarily....but still wouldn't you want to at least TRY to stop hackers?

what a day and age we live in...

Leave a comment:

• xor
    replied

well couldn't you just stop a brute force by only allowing "x" number of attempts in a time period?

I mean...I know their is ways around that even...but essentially that would be step 1 correct?
    Drexel didn't, my school e-mail account got hacked for SPAM purposes even with a password that contained letters and numbers.

xor

Leave a comment:

• b0n3z
    replied

well couldn't you just stop a brute force by only allowing "x" number of attempts in a time period?

I mean...I know their is ways around that even...but essentially that would be step 1 correct?

Leave a comment:

• xor
    replied

Originally posted by noid View Post
    or you can just mash up racial slurs and obscenities, toss in a few extended characters, and wah-lah..fun for the whole family (and possibly your HR department)..
    Password audits mite get you into trouble. I said not to puke clearly your screen is soaked.

xor

Leave a comment:

• xor
    replied

Another problem I see is limiting passwords to 8 characters in length. Drexel University does that, 6 - 8 characters; nothing like making it easy for brute forcing accounts. Here you have a higher learning institution that while wanting to keep the system accessible and open you are teaching people poor password habits; sad.

xor

Leave a comment:

• b0n3z
    replied

Well I can tell you that DOD requires, I beleive, 14 character minimum. 2 numbers, 2 symbols, 2 uppercase, 2 lower case....that's one of the closest ways to secure that you can get.

It gets more involved with things like not using one of your last 10 passwords within 60/90 days, etc.

I must say though that have CAC cards do you logins for you makes you get lazy...I remember my long password, but at first I had to write it down in my notebook, along with other classified documentation, to remember it.

I think this is really just a losing situation until someone has a great epiphany.

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X