• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beakmyn
    replied
    Re: Basic Tool Kit

Originally posted by lavagolemking View Post
    This might be a dumb question, but is it possible/legal to bring lockpicks on the plane ride to DEFCON, or would I be better off buying them at the conference? Do they sell picks at the conference, and if so what is a general price range?
    Sure just don't pull a screwdriver out of your bag and fix the wobble on the tray table. Apparently that really pisses them off and you get to play 20 questions when you get off the plane.

Leave a comment:

• Rover
    replied

Sounds great. I'm planning to spend more time in the Lockpick Village this time around and plan on picking up some new toys. I'm waiting on a set of picks from Legion over at the LockPicking101 boards right now. With any luck, they'll be in the mail today!
    Last edited by Rover; June 8, 2009, 10:34.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

This might be a dumb question
    well... noid covered this point rather effectively, but with good nature and aplomb at the same time.

is it possible/legal to bring lockpicks on the plane ride
    yes. the TSA does not define lockpicks as illicit implements, at least by policy. they are not bladed edges, and even if one considers them "tools" of some kind, they are not (typically) more than 7" in length.

if you are traveling internationally there can be problems. if you encounter an asshat TSA officer there can be problems. 99.999% of these matters can be resolved by packing your picks in a checked bag as opposed to keeping them in your carry-on.

i (and many others) travel with picks in our carry-on bag, however, and have basically never had a problem.

would I be better off buying them at the conference
    well... we like it when people buy picks at the conference. not because we make some sort of serious profit or anything (we don't) but because we like getting good quality items and novel stuff (like the emergency pick cards) into folks' hands.

Do they sell picks at the conference
    yep. we sell them up in the Lockpick Village along with a host of other useful tools and practice hardware.

if so what is a general price range?
    $20 for the basic kit and the emergency pick card is the standard now. ask us privately about other pricing or additional items offered (or check my own site) since i don't want to turn this post into any sort of ad here on the forums.

just come by and we'll sort you out for very little money and lots of good fun.

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied

This might be a dumb question, but is it possible/legal to bring lockpicks on the plane ride to DEFCON, or would I be better off buying them at the conference? Do they sell picks at the conference, and if so what is a general price range?
    Use the search function on the board, there's been several 'can I bring my lockpicks on the plane' threads.

In regards to buying them there, yes, yes you can.

Leave a comment:

• lavagolemking
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Thorn
    replied

Originally posted by valanx View Post
    Which is a useful device for more stubborn locks.
    Use the 12ga/.50 cal. sabot on the hinges. It can be quicker than attacking the lock side.

Leave a comment:

• valanx
    replied

Originally posted by Thorn View Post

*Here, a "street sweeper" is a shotgun.
    Which is a useful device for more stubborn locks. But we have the same issue. I went looking for street cleaners and we have yet to find one in the area. They must have heard about us or something.

Leave a comment:

• beakmyn
    replied

I fashioned a few picks out of street sweeper bristles.They worked fairly well. If you don't mind the possibly of a not so perfectly polished handle or some other thing I've yet to be able to find. Pick up a set of Southords from the Outlet/Clearance. You'll get the same great picks at a reduced price. That's what I did.

I picked up this set
    http://www.southord.com/Lock-Picking...-Pick-Set.html

I couldn't find the "blemish"

Leave a comment:

• Thorn
    replied

Originally posted by Rhenium View Post
    No, street sweeper bristles are pretty easy, windshield wipers less so.
    Odd. Around here it's the inverse. None of the towns around here even own a street cleaning machine*, but there are at least a half-dozen junk yards within a 10 mile radius.

*Here, a "street sweeper" is a shotgun.

Leave a comment:

• Rhenium
    replied

No, street sweeper bristles are pretty easy, windshield wipers less so.

Leave a comment:

• azma
    replied

I'm not sure but I think he was talking about street sweepers bristols being hard to find not windshield wiper blades.

Leave a comment:

• valanx
    replied

True, but much harder to find.
    Really? Do you not live near a salvage yard/jiffy lube/auto service station?

You could probably ask a service station for their old ones and they would be fine with giving them to you, or hit up the salvage yard and just start yanking a bunch. (of blades, not yourself)

Leave a comment:

• krma
    replied

great info Deviant Ollam,

I really endeavor to spend a lot more time in the lockpick village this time,

regarding tools, I was hoping to pickup a set this year at defcon,
    during defcon is my only real chance to purchase a set, I do have a basic SouthOrd set, but I do wonder if it prevents me from picking smaller padlocks(combined with my lack of skills)

my first set I made from wiper blades and hacksaw blades, Ill bring my SouthOrds this year and play around with them there, hopefully it will help me decide if and what I would 'upgrade' to, if need be.

Leave a comment:

• Rhenium
    replied

True, but much harder to find.

Are you doing the net-book meet up again this year?
    Last year's was fun. :)

Leave a comment:

• DJ Jackalope
    replied

I recently spent a Saturday morning wandering around picking up street sweeper bristles.

Windshield wiper blades work as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X