Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We have our new location (was: Ugh... So, we're gonna need a new location YET AGAIN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We have our new location (was: Ugh... So, we're gonna need a new location YET AGA

Youtube Video of the location

Best I could do with a phone-cam and lots of lens-flare.

Observations:

1) The firing line will be facing west, which means we will have the sun behind us in the morning.

2) I was there ~18:00, and the temp was 83f, while the valley below was ~103f (@ ~19:00). This difference should be even more substantial in the AM, as there is a mountain to the east as well, so the sunrise at this location is a touch later than the valley, and it will have cooled significantly overnight. It is still possible that we will see temps in the 90's, but there is nowhere else in the county that will be any better. Also, FYI, Boulder City is typically 5 degress hotter than LV.

3) I would say we can probably get close to 100 yards out of the main area I have identified as a firing line. It is possible that we could angle another line aiming to the southwest, but we would have to be careful about ensuring that we are still well covered by the backstop.

4) I will park my RV with the doorside facing east, towards the firing line, and will have my shade awning out, as well as a 10x10 EZ-UP. I am planning to bring a 5g water cooler as well, but y'all are on your own for a water bottle. Bring one, and you can fill off my big orange teet.

5) I will try to have a couple of tables out, and a few camp chairs for chillin in the shade, should you so desire.

6) A few years ago, I had built some target stands out of sawhorse brackets and 2x4's. I am thinking I may do this again if I can wrangle one of my buddies to go up there with me the night before to help set it up. I'll post more as the date gets closer. The good news is there are some small (2 feet) hills just before the actual backstop, so those will probably serve as decent fruit stands. Someone could also "acquire" some wooden pallets on the way up to the site to use as target stands.

7) I have some of that construction marking tape that we can probably use to mark the firing line, that sort of thing.

8) We should probably have an air horn for attention getting. Just one of those canned things. If anyone has a bullhorn for the RSO to use, that would probably be a good thing too. Any other ideas for a shopping list? Maybe we should get a new thread going for that.

9) Lastly, if anyone has any leftover ammo that they don't want to lug home, I'm yer guy. I still have some from like 10 years ago. I guess by now, you'd think I woulda bought a gun to match the ammo...

Comment

Re: We have our new location (was: Ugh... So, we're gonna need a new location YET AGA

Originally posted by Merlin View Post
      thank you so much for doing this recon, man! may i ask... about 26 seconds into the video you pass what looks like a turning road on the left. is that the trail entrance that shows up on the composite sat map i posted about halfway down and all the way to the right side of the image?

The firing line will be facing west ... sun behind us in the morning.
      i like the solar aspect of that plan... my only concern is one of distance.

probably get close to 100 yards out of the main area
      perhaps you can grab the virgin copy of that image from me and sketch on it somehow indicating how and where we can get 100 yards, because i'm having trouble visualizing it. that likely has to do with the way Google shows the terrain, which may not reflect reality at this time.

possible that we will see temps in the 90's ...Boulder City is typically 5 degress hotter than LV.
      nod. i want as cool as possible. and this area seems to have the "cool" thing covered, in terms of temp and style.

possible that we could angle another line aiming to the southwest, but we would have to be careful about ensuring that we are still well covered by the backstop.
      again... sketch on the image if you can so we can see where the backstop fully extends. (is that the mountainside, you mean? or one of the manmande backstops i've seen in that video?)

RV ... EZ-UP ... water cooler ... couple of tables ... a few camp chairs
      holy shit... you are fucking awesome. i think you should get half your shirts for free for doing this.

target stands ... if I can wrangle one of my buddies to go up there with me the night before
      you are nine kinds of awesome if that happens.

mark the firing line
      sometimes when i've arranged shoots out in a field or something we use two stakes in the ground with a rope strung between them about a foot or two off the dirt. many small orange ribbons tied to the rope. when the range is hot, the rope is up... tightly tied off between the stakes. no one can walk out there without clearly getting tripped up on the rope. when the range goes cold, after RSOs observe all firearms down and safe and people away from them, the rope is dropped to the ground.

air horn / bullhorn
      just don't get a super cheap airhorn. i had one of those little "can" models at last year's shoot and the top broke off the first time i tried to call a cease-fire. total piece of shit. bullhorn is a nice idea, but between my loud voice and our group's relatively small size i think we'll be alright. if we have more than one RSO, having small radios could help, depending on distances.

Any other ideas for a shopping list? Maybe we should get a new thread going for that.
      not a bad idea.

leftover ammo... I'm yer guy
      i think that's the least you deserve for helping out with all of this the way that you are. hell, if i didn't want to be at the Riv the morning of the shoot to help coordinate people for the carpool, etc. i'd ask if i could camp out there with you the night before.

one other question... any chance of cel service out there? what sort of signal, if any, do you see from what carrier(s)?
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

thank you so much for doing this recon, man! may i ask... about 26 seconds into the video you pass what looks like a turning road on the left. is that the trail entrance that shows up on the composite sat map i posted about halfway down and all the way to the right side of the image?
        Yeah, it's a trail, but not usable for vehicles. Looks like mainly an ATV entrance to the campsite.

i like the solar aspect of that plan... my only concern is one of distance.

perhaps you can grab the virgin copy of that image from me and sketch on it somehow indicating how and where we can get 100 yards, because i'm having trouble visualizing it. that likely has to do with the way Google shows the terrain, which may not reflect reality at this time.
        I will have a look at it next week. The weekend family thing started about 6 hours ago.

again... sketch on the image if you can so we can see where the backstop fully extends. (is that the mountainside, you mean? or one of the manmande backstops i've seen in that video?)
        The side of the mountain is the ultimate backstop. THere are some berms leading up to it. I have some still photos as well that I need to get off of my phone and send to you. I used my kids in the photos as a point of reference.

holy shit... you are fucking awesome. i think you should get half your shirts for free for doing this.
        I like free shirts. And donuts. And chicks in knee-high leather boots. Better stop there..

sometimes when i've arranged shoots out in a field or something we use two stakes in the ground with a rope strung between them about a foot or two off the dirt. many small
        Can do. I usually keep various strings and ropes in my truck. Right now, I probably have 500ft of 550 cord. (I love cheaper-than-dirt)

if we have more than one RSO, having small radios could help, depending on distances.
        GOt a couple of Motorola FRS in my truck. Of course, I am sure this crowd has no shortage of radio gear.. I keep meaning to get into HAM, gotta find the time.

i think that's the least you deserve for helping out with all of this the way that you are. hell, if i didn't want to be at the Riv the morning of the shoot to help coordinate people for the carpool, etc. i'd ask if i could camp out there with you the night before.
        Too bad, that would be cool. Speaking of which, if anyone DOES want to come out the night before, I have 5 queen beds to spare. Plenty of camp chairs, camp fire, smores, etc.
        I figure the easiest way to be up on time is to start the day there.

one other question... any chance of cel service out there? what sort of signal, if any, do you see from what carrier(s)?
        Acutally yes, I forgot to mention that. I specifically tested AT&T and Sprint, so both technologies are covered. I am not sure if Verizon folks can roam on the Sprint tower, or T-Mobile on the AT&T, but there is coverage. Bear in mind it is like 1 bar, but better than nothing.

Comment

So I guess the question is, is this where the Shoot will take place? Perhaps I should upgrade my rental car to something beefier if that is the case.

Merlin, were you like ghost riding while taking that video?

xor

Ps If you rent from Hertz, you can leave the rental right at the Hertz office at the Riv. This way no special trip to the airport and back mid-con is required in order to save money.
          Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
            So I guess the question is, is this where the Shoot will take place? Perhaps I should upgrade my rental car to something beefier if that is the case.

Merlin, were you like ghost riding while taking that video?

xor

Ps If you rent from Hertz, you can leave the rental right at the Hertz office at the Riv. This way no special trip to the airport and back mid-con is required in order to save money.
            Any car will be just fine. It is actually decent road all the way to the site.

And no, just sticking the camera out of the sunroof.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
              that is really really good information. do you know if any other rental providers offer this same feature at the Riv? or is it just Hertz?
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

nearest Avis drop off point is the Venetian

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Working...
                X