Steal this Book- Abbie Hoffman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steal this Book- Abbie Hoffman

Quick question, I've tried google but no clear answer. Does anyone know if Steal this book the 2002 print is edited or any different than the original 1972 edition? I lost mine and Im looking to get a new copy, but I don't want it if it's craptastic.

Also, Same question I guess applies for the Anarchist cookbook, I suppose I could google that though...Also Does anyone recommend any books similar to "Steal this book"? I'm looking for myself and also for Prize giveaways for the Hacker Pyramid game. If you have any suggestions, other than the elite dragon book, I'm open to some new reads.

Thanks Much!
    "Haters, gonna hate"

Re: Steal this Book- Abbie Hoffman

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
    Quick question, I've tried google but no clear answer. Does anyone know if Steal this book the 2002 print is edited or any different than the original 1972 edition? I lost mine and Im looking to get a new copy, but I don't want it if it's craptastic.

Also, Same question I guess applies for the Anarchist cookbook, I suppose I could google that though...Also Does anyone recommend any books similar to "Steal this book"? I'm looking for myself and also for Prize giveaways for the Hacker Pyramid game. If you have any suggestions, other than the elite dragon book, I'm open to some new reads.

Thanks Much!
    I can't personally vouch for it but I hear Clandestine Chemistry is an interesting read if you can find it:

http://www.righto.com/anarchist-cookbook-faq.html should answer most of your questions.

xor

Ps Eyebrows grow back, errr fingers and other important body parts don't.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
      I can't personally vouch for it but I hear Clandestine Chemistry is an interesting read if you can find it:

http://www.righto.com/anarchist-cookbook-faq.html should answer most of your questions.

xor

Ps Eyebrows grow back, errr fingers and other important body parts don't.
      Thank you very much,.
      "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

I got Ragnar's Action Encyclopedia at a gun show when I was about twelve...I haven't read it since but I was impressed at the time. Most of the reviews on Amazon agree that there's a mix of fluff and actual info in there.

I also got Poor Man's James Bond 2 which included a very long treatise on the chemistry of explosives. That one was much more oriented to chemicals, whereas Ragnar's was a mix of a wide variety of subjects pertaining to survival. I made a couple things from the Poor Man's James Bond, and they all worked, though in small quantities. Love homemade bang. I've still got them somewhere, I think I need to dig this out...

The original Poor Man's James Bond is higher rated and available on Amazon. That might be one of the things to check out at the Gun Show that's going on during Defcon this year.

M.
        Secretary

Comment

Originally posted by Melesse View Post
          The original Poor Man's James Bond is higher rated and available on Amazon. That might be one of the things to check out at the Gun Show that's going on during Defcon this year.

M.

I saw that book and was considering it! Since I have a credit on amazon and it sounds more and more interesting now, I may pick it up. Thanks for the good reference!

One of these days we will be updating the book list on Defcon.org so if you ever have a good book review to pass on just send it our way. Thanks for the suggestions!
          "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Keep in mind that the author of PMJB (Kurt Saxton) managed to blow half his fingers off doing the stuff he recommends in his book. It is a good for a laugh, but that is about it. The guy is a nutcase. Torrents of the books are likely floating around the interwebs.. bandwidth is about all I would pay for them.

I was unaware that there was an update to Hoffman's "Steal This Book".. I heard of "Steal This Computer Book", which is not an update, but a different book all together.
            Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

"Days of War, Nights of Love", is always a good Abbie Hoffman-ish type book. I've never seen "The Poor Man's James Bond", but it sounds kind of like "The Anarchist Cookbook's" like Xor suggested. Hope this helps!

Good Luck

~ 47

Comment

I'm in the process of re-reading Ragnar's Action Encyclopedia, and agree with the reviews on Amazon. It's very shallow, with a couple pages on a number of subjects. It's still interesting, but most of it is fairly common sense unless you're a twelve year old with no life experience (things like using pipes to create makeshift grenade launchers, molotov cocktails, and using a mud cap on explosives). I could recommend it for rank amateurs. When I finish I'll get on PMJB.

M.
                Secretary

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
                  I've checked, and asked around, and it is indeed the same book, word for word. In addition, here's some links to online copies of the original.

http://www.instinct.org/texts/steal_this_book/ (with a nice PDF for download, too)
                  http://www.tenant.net/Community/steal/steal.html

Sadly, the original online version from Vintage Vinyl has disappeared.

My, my, the world was different then. I can't remember the last time I heard a conversation that ended with "Come the Revolution."

Comment

Working...
                  X