great article... "5 things people shouldn't install on their PCs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great article... "5 things people shouldn't install on their PCs"

Daisy IM'd me this from work and it made me laugh because it's so damn accurate... and the accompanying image that they have in the article is gold.

5 things I wish some people wouldn't install on their PCs
    Our readers are a pretty savvy bunch. You're up to speed on what software is and isn't worth downloading, and you're likely the "friend that knows about computers" to a lot of people. Wouldn't it be nice if some of those people started paying attention to our advice - and quit downloading things like...
    the brief article goes on to list things that we've all seen with nicely scathing commentary about them all.

enjoy.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: great article... "5 things people shouldn't install on their PCs"

I went over to a guys house one time to determine why his computer was running deathly slow. I figured it was the typical Malware infection and prepared spend a good bit of time to clean it up.

He didn't quite understand that it isn't a good idea to have three different software firewalls and two AV programs running all at the same time. I was actually quite surprised he was able to get connected to the inturwebs at all. I gave up trying to help him after he wouldn't even let me disable one thing to try and prove that all that stuff was causing the problem.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Re: great article... "5 things people shouldn't install on their PCs"

That article was great, thanks for sharing. I especially cracked up at the picture of all the toolbars. I admit I've been guilty of just hitting "next" and then realizing... oh crap I think I just installed something. Luckily Firefox makes it easy to disable things ;)

Comment

Working...
      X