X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhenium
    replied
    Re: Posters Presentations at Defcon17

Hi all. My flight was rerouted, I'm 24 hours behind schedule and in Auckland of all places waiting for a red-eye...

Cotman: Thanks for the info about the walls, I am sure I can come up with something that will keep all happy, a stand or something perhaps.

Lost: Thank you for your kind offer, I'll send you an email with details in a day (hopefully) or so...

Rhenium

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
    Riviera has very strong opinions about their walls. I think attaching anything to the wall gets a security guy interested in you immediately. We usually get approached (at coffee wars) each year about our banner (which is just pinned to the front of the table), and warned not to put it on the wall. Lucky for me, I have the ever diplomatic Foofus to assure them that all is well.
    Thanks for confirming this was the case; I wasn't there last year, I didn't know if they were still sensitive about their walls. :-)

Leave a comment:

• shrdlu
    replied

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
    It would be a good idea to talk to lil_freak by PM or in public in the Forum Meet space. She might know if the room has a table, and if the posters were to be placed on the walls, she might have information on whether that is "possible." (I seem to recall that the hotel has rules about posters on walls, or there was a disagreement about them before.)
    Riviera has very strong opinions about their walls. I think attaching anything to the wall gets a security guy interested in you immediately. We usually get approached (at coffee wars) each year about our banner (which is just pinned to the front of the table), and warned not to put it on the wall. Lucky for me, I have the ever diplomatic Foofus to assure them that all is well.

Of course taking up Lost on his suggestion/offer for a home with the HHV would also be a very good idea. If posters on walls are still an issue with the hotel, then this problem would probably also exist in the HHV when looking to use their walls.
    I'm hoping that you take Lost up on this. I can't think of a more likely group of folk that will be interested in your effort than the ones hanging out in the HHV. I think you've scored here. If you're off the 14 hour flight you mentioned, and reading this, you should take Mr Nice Guy up on the offer.

Good luck!
    Ditto.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Originally posted by Rhenium View Post
    If it really comes down to it, I will be at the Forum meet and might just lay it down on a table so if people ask "What are you into?" I'll have it right there.
    It would be a good idea to talk to lil_freak by PM or in public in the Forum Meet space. She might know if the room has a table, and if the posters were to be placed on the walls, she might have information on whether that is "possible." (I seem to recall that the hotel has rules about posters on walls, or there was a disagreement about them before.)

Of course taking up Lost on his suggestion/offer for a home with the HHV would also be a very good idea. If posters on walls are still an issue with the hotel, then this problem would probably also exist in the HHV when looking to use their walls.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied

Please contact me about possibly putting this up in the Hardware Hacking Village...

Leave a comment:

• Rhenium
    replied

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep this short and post again later after my 14 hour flight.

This isn't intended to be a presentation, but it beats having to carry a sign saying "Hey I think this area is neat and interesting, does anyone want to talk about it." Currently there isn't anything like this at Defcon which is why I suggested it (after searching the forums first). I guess I just don't understand how infosec cons are meant to work, so my fault.

It certainly isn't meant to be (or going to be) commercial. And if anyone wants to steal a boring academic poster, then I resort to the quote "Don't worry about people stealing your new idea, most of the time you'll have to shove it down their throats...". :)

If it really comes down to it, I will be at the Forum meet and might just lay it down on a table so if people ask "What are you into?" I'll have it right there.

Thanks again,
    Rhenium

Oh, and if there are any other weirdos like me into this idea, shoot me a line and maybe we can figure something out for Defcon18.

Leave a comment:

• shrdlu
    replied

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
    You know, it's funny. In the science conventions, poster presentations are a big thing, but I've never seen anyone even mention the idea before about having them at infosec cons.
    I'm not sure I see the use of this (at an infosec con, that is). Normally, poster sessions provide an organized opportunity for one's peers to examine the presentation, and engage the author. While it may be that there are people attending defcon who could provide excellent commentary and insight, I can't see that they'll find you amidst the enormous competition for their attention.

Seriously, I would suggest just hanging out in the room meant for such things, and being prepared to strike up conversations if you find someone who seems interested.

Leave a comment:

• Thorn
    replied

You know, it's funny. In the science conventions, poster presentations are a big thing, but I've never seen anyone even mention the idea before about having them at infosec cons.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Originally posted by Rhenium View Post
    Dear Defcon gods and gurus,

I was wanting to put up a poster presentation at Defcon this year. I'm in science for my job, and at our conferences there will be enormous sessions where people walk around seeing what's new in chemistry or physics or social engineering from the poster presentations.

I wanted to put up a poster (about 36" wide by 24" tall) about some recent theoretical work on cell phone viruses. Is there anywhere I could put this up where it wouldn't immediately be torn down by goons or hotel staff?

Rhenium
    You have a few choices.

First, this isn't a presentation and the CFP is pretty much over, and speaker assignments are nearly completed, so that is not an option for many reasons.

Next you have 3 options that I can think of:
    1) Skyboxes...
    These are heavily used. You might find a skybox "owner" that will sublet space to you.

2) Contests/Events Floor...
    This is RussR and Pyr0's space, and you could try to request space from them, though this late in the game,, your chances are pretty slim.

3) Another room that is allocated through another group, and lately this has been Nikita.

Select one of these, and then try to contact the people that control the space you desire to use.

No matter where you want to put up you displays, understand that they should probably not be commercial at all, such as prove advertisements for a product or vendor. Those kinds of things have historically ended poorly.

Also, the would need to be watched by you or your people, or they probably won't last very long

Good luck!
    Last edited by TheCotMan; June 26, 2009, 16:42.

Leave a comment:

• Rhenium
    started a topic Posters Presentations at Defcon17

Posters Presentations at Defcon17

Dear Defcon gods and gurus,

I was wanting to put up a poster presentation at Defcon this year. I'm in science for my job, and at our conferences there will be enormous sessions where people walk around seeing what's new in chemistry or physics or social engineering from the poster presentations.

I wanted to put up a poster (about 36" wide by 24" tall) about some recent theoretical work on cell phone viruses. Is there anywhere I could put this up where it wouldn't immediately be torn down by goons or hotel staff?

Rhenium
Working...
X