• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LosT
    replied
    Re: New to Hardware hacking

A few points:

1. You will have a badge just via the fact you are at the con, however it will be 'more advanced' to hack than the kits- That being said, you can learn plenty without a kit just by hanging out in the HHV

2. If you have *never* been to Defcon, I would suggest attending Defcon 101. If you are a returning Human, and still don't know that much about Defcon, I suggest you attend Defcon 101. If you are not in either of the previous categories, you might consider Dr. K's talk, as I am sure it will be great, and a good introduction to FPGAs (the FUTURE if you ask me- well, actually the future is NOW...)

Lost

Originally posted by phoenix89 View Post
    I am also new to Hardware hacking and my first DEFCON, I am wondering if you need to have a kit to learn about hardware. Seems like an awesome field that is easily neglected by software.
    I started getting interested by talking to people I go to school with.

Also since DEFCON 101 is at the same time as Dr. K's FPGA tutorial is one better than the other?

Leave a comment:

• phoenix89
    replied

I am also new to Hardware hacking and my first DEFCON, I am wondering if you need to have a kit to learn about hardware. Seems like an awesome field that is easily neglected by software.
    I started getting interested by talking to people I go to school with.

Also since DEFCON 101 is at the same time as Dr. K's FPGA tutorial is one better than the other?

Leave a comment:

• afterburn188
    replied

Originally posted by LosT View Post
    Aw crap, Dr. K's talk is against DC101?!?!

Damn it-

I'm speaking at DC101, but really wanted to support Dr. K!

Crap!

1o57
    Eh, what are you going to do? How can you compete with a stacked talk like that? There are also plenty of other talks just as good on the other tracks. He's hoping for the overflow...
    As a plus, it also means those who attend have a better odd of going home with some awesome hardware swag :)

Leave a comment:

• madnos
    replied

I found the talk today on FPGA's and plan on going. Plus, I have a friend who is going to loan me an FPGA and I might bring it to the con.

It would be nice to win one though... then I can have one on my work bench. :)

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied

Aw crap, Dr. K's talk is against DC101?!?!

Damn it-

I'm speaking at DC101, but really wanted to support Dr. K!

Crap!

1o57

Leave a comment:

• afterburn188
    replied

Originally posted by madnos View Post
    I would put myself in a class of n00b with hardware hacking. I do have a friend who has several FPGA's and he will be giving me one to learn on.
    If you can make it out Thursday I would highly suggest checking out Dr. K's FPGA tutorial (link). It should give you a great crash course in FPGAs and show you how to get started.
    Originally posted by Dr. K
    This tutorial/demo will go through the process of showing and teaching people how easy it is to rapidly design a hardware device using an FPGA. An FPGA is basically a programmable digital circuit. It can be programmed to be almost any digital circuit you like, replacing all your 7400-series chips with one small package. Starting with nothing more than an FPGA demo-board (and little to no knowledge of hardware) the audience will see how easy it is to make a device of their own.
    By the end, people should be armed with the knowledge they need to design their own hardware devices and have no fear about doing so.
    I would suggest trying to check it out if you can. Who knows, maybe you might show up and win something? Granted there is stiff competition from the Defcon 101 talk going along side the track but, the option is there if anyone wants to take it. Like LoST said, FPGAs are fun! There are a lot of tools out there to get you started. Be sure to check out the OpenCores project to see cool things people have been doing with FPGAs!

Leave a comment:

• madnos
    replied

Thanks for the feedback. The book links help and I will be taking a look at them. I would put myself in a class of n00b with hardware hacking. I do have a friend who has several FPGA's and he will be giving me one to learn on. It was kinda cool that you hit on that.

Thanks again and I will come find you at the con and say hello and thanks. :)

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied

I get asked this question quite a bit- my first response is generally to find out what the person's background in electronics is...

Some jumping off books for electronics that I feel should be part of your reference library:

* The Horowitz and Hill book - "The Art of Electronics" - think of this like the standard bible of electronics

If you are *really* a super n00b, consider getting the Forrest Mims books- you can see his website here: http://www.forrestmims.org - I'm not trying to insult anyone, but his stuff is great for n00bs starting out, like his "Getting Started in Electronics"- You may have seen his books and not known it- they are the ones that look like they are written by hand on engineering graph paper...I still have my green copy of Getting Started I got when I was a lad-

If you are starting to get interest in FPGAs (and you *should*) really the only decent text at this this time is the "FPGA Prototyping by **** Examples" by Pong Chu. Fill in the **** with either VHDL or Verilog (the same text was released twice with focus on either VHDL or Verilog)- My soapbox: if you don't learn anything else, start learning about FPGAs. To quote our beloved movie Hackers: "FPGAs are changing everything- FPGAs are good" hehehe sometimes I do make myself laugh.

If you would like to talk more about this, find me at CON. I am usually the one running around preaching about hardware, and how the embedded vectors will be the true key to l33t hacks in the future.

LosT

Leave a comment:

• madnos
    started a topic New to Hardware hacking

New to Hardware hacking

Last year I spent some time in the HHV and had a great time. I learned alot and had fun in the process. Thanks for doing such great work. :)

I have read over several of the threads and I am building a kit to take to Vegas. The question I have concerns design and coding. I have some experience in soldering, understand schematics and basic electronics. However I do not have any experience in programming micro-controllers or actually designing circuits or electronic devices. Is there something you can recomend that I read over or pick up to help with this, or is this something that I can speak to one of the people in the village? I know I will not be an EE before I get to the con, but any sites or that may help me would be apprecaited.

I have a desire to learn more about this area of hacking and am not affraid to say "I need a little help". But, I know that you will hundreds if not thousands of people in the village in the 4 days of the con. So, working on my own also does not scare me either. I am just seeking a little guidance from the people who have been in my positon when they first started out.

Again, thanks so much for setting up the HHV at the con. It is something that I have been looking forward to now for months and cannot wait to get to the convention.
Working...
X