Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will you be interested in purchasing a HHV kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will you be interested in purchasing a HHV kit?

Will the two kits complement one another, or will the larger one include the same parts as the smaller one?

Comment

Every kit is different. The 'main' kit will be the processor and a few surprises.

The other two 'add-ons' will be auxiliary (and could in theory be used with other platforms, etc...)

The price we got on some of this hardware alone makes them an excellent buy- Each of the add-on kits contain multiple items, and the total cost will be less than the cost of a single item included in each kit if you price them- the goal here is to put hardware into the hands of the Humans...

I *can* tell you this- the level shifter Joe mentions you *need* for badge hacking - well, there is one included in the main kit...

I *can* tell you we will sell out of these again the first day- last year the kits were gone by Thursday evening.

LosT

Originally posted by darryl_sockwell View Post
      Will the two kits complement one another, or will the larger one include the same parts as the smaller one?

Comment

I am very interested in purchasing. But, last year the kits sold out so quickly. Any way for you to order a larger number this year. The kits for sale should last longer than Thursday night. I think many more people would buy kits if they are available. Is it an upfront money issue?

Comment

Originally posted by FlyBoy2 View Post
          I am very interested in purchasing. But, last year the kits sold out so quickly. Any way for you to order a larger number this year. The kits for sale should last longer than Thursday night. I think many more people would buy kits if they are available. Is it an upfront money issue?
          I'm also making a board that will compliment the offical DC17 badge nicely. Members of my HackTheBadge team will be recieving one, but I will also have a limited number of HackTheBadge boards available for purchase.

[[ CLARIFICATION -- 'For purchase after DC17, from my website.' I intend to keep making fun and hackable boards for everyone to play with. I like Arduino... ]]

Last edited by martinbogo; July 21, 2009, 18:48.

Comment

It is not our intent to flood the conference with swag, we make as many kits as we feel like putting together.

Honestly this isn't a venture to make $$$, it is an attempt to get hardware to the community cheaper and easier than they could get on their own.

Heck, the first year I simply gave everything away, and really that is how the Hardware Hacking Village was born. (More on that at the DC101 talks if you want the full story)-

It's cool to get a board with the Defcon Logo on it- Jeff gives us special permission to use it on these boards-

LosT

Originally posted by darryl_sockwell View Post
            Originally posted by FlyBoy2 View Post

Comment

Be sure to talk to Chris/Russ about selling anything- there are pretty tight rules about when/where things can be sold....just be smart about it, and make sure everything is on the up-and-up.

Good work, by the way.

LosT

Originally posted by martinbogo View Post
              I'm also making a board that will compliment the offical DC17 badge nicely. Members of my HackTheBadge team will be recieving one, but I will also have a limited number of HackTheBadge boards available for purchase.

Comment

BTW, I will also have some freebie boards that I'll be carrying around with me...find me at con and if you're not an ass one may be yours! (They are for practicing SMT soldering- so if you've always wanted to try that......)

LosT

Comment

I know you said somewhere that they would likely be gone by Thursday, are you going to be selling them in the HHV all day Thursday? Prob not before the Defcon shoot, but perhaps after? I missed out on the kits last year, and want to make sure I don't this time around.

M.
                  Secretary

Comment

Originally posted by LosT View Post
                    Topics will include:

* How to drive a servo
                    * How to generate video (TV signal)
                    * How to generate video (VGA, out to a monitor)
                    * Multiprocessing (screw you interrupts!)
                    * Keyboard input
                    * Mouse input
                    Well, there goes all my ideas for badge hacking. ahh well. :)
                    If more help is needed, I volunteer to help with the video output tutorials.

What processor will be used in the kits? Is it necessary/advisable/convenient to bring extra parts, programmers, or anything?
                    Edit:
                    I think I'll get a kit, if for no other reason than to learn SMT soldering. Is it necessary/advisable/convenient to bring something for that? (I have the hand-eye coordination of a blind 2-year-old).
                    It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by YenTheFirst View Post
                      What processor will be used in the kits?
                      As I think LosT pointed out, if you can't figure out the processor from that list of tutorials, then you're not looking hard enough.

I'm lucky enough to already have experience with this particular processor (Which RULES, by the way... Thanks LosT! :-D ) But even without experience, it's easy to SPIN up to speed on these things, and in no time, you'll fit in like a COG. I'm sure the HHV will be the HUB of excitement this year!

(Sorry; I think I was channeling LosT there for a bit. ;-)

And, if it wasn't clear yet, count me in for at least one of everything.

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
                        As I think LosT pointed out, if you can't figure out the processor from that list of tutorials, then you're not looking hard enough.
                        (thinks for a minute) . . .oh.
                        I thought the kits were going to do things the HARD way. ahh well.

I suppose, in that case, putting video out and keyboard in on a badge might still be considered clever then, in comparison.
                        It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

I'm in! always wanted to learn SMT. Early on Thursday then...

Comment

Working...
                          X