Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• astcell
    replied
    Yup that looks like it! I always used to put it on my car steering wheel with the lock facing the horn, it was hard enough to get the key in the lock nevermind trying to pick the thing.

$500 though. But hey you can take the class and find 50 folks interested at the con.

I bet it takes a while to pick too.

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    but I'd like to see if it can be compromised without damaging it.

http://www.abus.de/eh/EHTZ01.htm

Here is a class that one can take for 5c, I am not too sure if they will just let your hacker x take the class without any previous locksmithing certifications..
    Creating and using special keys to open dimple key locks
    http://www.mbausa.com/ndle.htm

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Apparently these can be busted up with freon and a hammer, but I'd like to see if it can be compromised without damaging it. They say if the lock is compromised and your car is stolen that the company will pay your deductible. How you prove the lock was compromised I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Originally posted by astcell
    I have one of those steering wheel locks with a real funky key, it has little dimples in the sides of the key and claims to be pick-proof. Sounds like a challenge to me, should I bring it for testing, or are they right and you'll admit defeat right away?
    I think most claims for high security locks use the words:
    virtually pick proof
    -or-
    pick resistant

I don't think I have seen a lock that claims to be 100% un-pick-able

Remember that locks are only meant to slow you down.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    I have one of those steering wheel locks with a real funky key, it has little dimples in the sides of the key and claims to be pick-proof. Sounds like a challenge to me, should I bring it for testing, or are they right and you'll admit defeat right away?

Leave a comment:

• R.J.
    replied
    What appears to be some good info on magstripe encoding, reading, and writing.

And those schematics look decent, I might look in to actually building one.

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied
    As far as the mag stripe reader goes, bring it. If anyone has a writer, bring it too..

As far as Defcon being 'weapon free', as skroo said, define 'weapon free'. We dont want firearms in the 'common' areas. Anyone who practices good gun safety wont have them there anyways, as alcohol and drugs dont mix with firearms. Every year we get a few shit-house lawyers that want to test the constitutionality of this, and we show them the door. Then the hotel decides if they want to show them Vegas Metro. Firearms violations are taken very seriously in Nevada, especialy in Vegas. But your room is a different story. Your hotel room is to be considered (legaly) a temporary domicile, therefore you can have as many guns in your room as you feel nessecary. The only caveat to this is remember where you are. Defcon's really not the best environment for firearms. People get drunk, really really drunk, and putting them near firearms is just irresponsible. If you do bring firearms, keep them locked up and out of sight unless you are going to/from/at the Defcon Shoot. If you bring a bunch of guns, your room probably isnt the best location for that all night kegger. Drunk people + firearms = theft and accidental discharges. As with anything, be smart about it.

Leave a comment:

• R.J.
    replied
    I do in fact have a magstripe reader around here somewhere. I have no idea what capabilities it has, but I hope to have some time to play around with it before the con.

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Re: Re: Good Point

Originally posted by skroo

a) Define 'weapon-free'

b) Probably in their room or vehicle
    That's right folks at any given moment anyone can run a few hundred feet and shoot up the place...

Advice 1: If you hear something that sound like gunfire, duck. The next sound you will probably hear is all the velcro fanny packs ripping open for counter-fire.

Advice 2: If you hear a zipping sounds, you may want to reposition.

Leave a comment:

• skroo
    replied
    Re: Good Point

Originally posted by codex
    1. If defcon is supposed to be wepon free, where do the defcon shooters store their weapons?
    a) Define 'weapon-free'

b) Probably in their room or vehicle

I suspect that at least some of them would be hesitant to hand over all that (expensive) firepower to a teenager behind the desk in order to have them put it "in the safe".
    Absolutely. Expensive or otherwise, I do not want a person I neither know nor trust handling my firearms.

How do I fit a rifle in one of those little safe deposit boxes?
    Break it down and case it.

Leave a comment:

• codex
    replied
    Good Point

1. If defcon is supposed to be wepon free, where do the defcon shooters store their weapons?
    2. I suspect that at least some of them would be hesitant to hand over all that (expensive) firepower to a teenager behind the desk in order to have them put it "in the safe".
    3. How do I fit a rifle in one of those little safe deposit boxes?

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied
    Remember, kids..this is the same con that also hosts a 'DC Shoot'..testing your hack out on a 'random' door might result in someone exercising their 2nd ammendment rights..that and hotel security would probably have a shit..now, if theres someone who works with this kind of stuff, I'd love to see a mag stripe lock up on the lockboard .. as far as the previous lock-board-bringers go, vi5us and Gurney Halleck have brought them in the past and given some good lectures too. I'll bring my set out with me. I have a box of random locks (pad locks, old house locks, even a few Yale locks) I'll bring to donate to the cause..

Leave a comment:

• L0nd0
    replied
    It would be cool to see the lock board again, like two years ago at defcon I was pickin the locks on the board and some japanese magizine interviewed me about pickin locks I thought it was funny.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied
    Bring a chastity belt lock, I definitely gotta know how those work.

Leave a comment:

• converge
    replied
    I'll definately be hunting down the lockboards out there. Haven't had a chance to read the "Formerly..." doc yet, but have it, and will before I go

Leave a comment:

Working...
X