Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ping - Return external ip from source ip reply

Hello My name is Glave,

a few months ago i had an idea for retrieving the external ip from a private network through use of ping. my idea is to setup a server that accepts ping packets and sends back a spoofed source address reply.

to illustrate:

Client: External IP [1.1.1.1] ping > Server: [5.5.5.5] ping reply > client as 1.1.1.1

the idea is for the client to see his/her own external ip from the "reply from x.x.x."

Pinging server.com [1.1.1.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=94ms TTL=50
    Reply from 1.1.1.1: bytes=32 time=94ms TTL=50
    Reply from 1.1.1.1. bytes=32 time=95ms TTL=50
    Reply from 1.1.1.1. bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=50

instead of:

Pinging server.com [5.5.5.5] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 5.5.5.5: bytes=32 time=94ms TTL=50
    Reply from 5.5.5.5: bytes=32 time=94ms TTL=50
    Reply from 5.5.5.5. bytes=32 time=95ms TTL=50
    Reply from 5.5.5.5. bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=50

this can be just checked through a website but if your only at a shell i was thinking a built in command that is common between platforms so i thought of ping.

any feedback would be great any suggests would be nice, i plan to testing this for myself but thought maybe ill ask others for there input.

Thanks

Re: Ping - Return external ip from source ip reply

I'm curious as to what problem you're actually trying to solve by doing this.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

retrieving external ip from shell with one command anywhere on the (secure) private network.

Comment

Maybe I'm just cornfuzed. Why wouldn't you know what the external IP address is?
        A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
          Maybe I'm just cornfuzed. Why wouldn't you know what the external IP address is?
          through nat you cannot see your external ip from the private side of the network?

Comment

Originally posted by Glave View Post
            through nat you cannot see your external ip from the private side of the network?
            If I'm on the inside of the NAT, I most certainly can.

Comment

using one command and not connecting directly to external device or to the nat server itself staying private side only?

Comment

If you are pinging the dns name of the server; say server.com you are using TLD name and are most likely but not necessarily accessing a dns server that is not located on your private network.

Right...?

xor
                Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Wireshark would quickly show you exactly what's going on.

xor
                  Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
                    If you are pinging the dns name of the server; say server.com you are using TLD name and are most likely but not necessarily accessing a dns server that is not located on your private network.

Right...?

xor
                    Right. you will be accessing the other dns server(s) outside the private network not before the local dns server first. all i mean by private network is you are not making a manual direct connection to an outside source. i have used wireshark but since i'm not familiar with all the different packets i figure I'll start with creating them and analyzing at the same time.

Comment

What technique or tool would you use?

Comment

Working...
                      X