X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• krux
    replied
    Re: The 2009 Ninja Badge / Ninja Party

Loved the party. My only regret was not actually getting one of the cool electronic badges. Had I known you needed volunteers for assembly, I would have been there soldering iron in hand.

Leave a comment:

• stits
    replied

Interesting read Barkode, I heard from a few people about the misadventure(s.) but it's really impressive what you guys did once seen from a macro perspective. Again thanks for what was, without a doubt, the best party of the con.

-Stits

P.S. Glad you liked the images :)

Leave a comment:

• barkode
    replied

Originally posted by L34h View Post
    Seriously, what an absolutely stellar job you guys did! The VENUE was incredible: it felt like a Sherlock Holmes study with the fountain in the center and the maps everywhere - I've been coming to the Riviera for DEFCON all these years and never even noticed this wonderful place right around the corner!

*snip*

Also, Cool Ninja-Related Story about my ninja badge experience: Link to mah blog
    Thanks for the kind words! I like that place too. Also, awesome blog post. I'm glad you met Amanda, she's awesome. Looks like you had to do some serious work on that badge.

We dropped a whole bunch of busted badges in the HHV, and I'm really glad we did. The HHV is one of my favorite developments in recent years at DEFCON. I'm looking forward to figuring out what kind of crazy stuff we can drop on you guys next year. :)

Leave a comment:

• L34h
    replied

Seriously, what an absolutely stellar job you guys did! The VENUE was incredible: it felt like a Sherlock Holmes study with the fountain in the center and the maps everywhere - I've been coming to the Riviera for DEFCON all these years and never even noticed this wonderful place right around the corner!

Originally posted by barkode View Post
    In previous years we did holograms to minimize the fake pass issue- and next year we'll probably return to something like that to minimize the financial impact of bulk fakes. Having one-off fakes from time to time is in good DEFCON-style fun, but the bulk aspect sucked. :(
    Good show on the advertising technique! Announcing to 10,000 hackers that they aren't allowed in to a party is *BY FAR* the best way to ensure it's filled with interesting people, lol. Honestly, I'd been looking forward to this year's IOActive Freak Show all year and after someone I met on the elevator told me there was a party I wasn't allowed to attend, I'd forgotten all about anything else happening Saturday night! Seriously, next year I would even suggest nixing the +1 paper invite thing entirely just to see all the creative ways people sneak in!

So, old plan out the window, and new plan. Badges would be assembled entirely by hand in the US, as the parts came in. The surface mount components would be placed on the badges using solderpaste and a hotplate from Target, instead of a reflow oven. The through-hole components, meaning the YETDA displays and the battery holder, would be inserted entirely by hand, and each badge would have every single pin soldered by hand (about 175-ish pins per badge, times roughly 500 badges, or 87,500 individual joints.)
    You should have outsourced that work to the badgeholders, lol. It would be a wonderful excuse for otherwise entirely software-based types to saunter over to the HHV to learn how to solder things. Also, people in the HHV most certainly would have helped solder if you'd stood on a chair and announced your situation.

Also, if this happens next year - definitely contact me! My badgehacking team brought along a hot air station for soldering surface mount components that would have made things a lot easier. (Although girlie sleepovers that consist of soldering surfacemount components in an EZBake Oven sure sounds pretty tempting...)

At that moment, an -actual- crazy person walks up to me in the parking lot, hands me a $20 bill, and says to me, "God told me to give you this, and tell you that everything is going to be alright." Then the dude gets in his truck, and drives away. This actually happened.
    LMAO. That really needs to go into a book of memorable quotes somewhere!

Also, Cool Ninja-Related Story about my ninja badge experience: Link to mah blog

Leave a comment:

• slimm609
    replied

Nice post barkode. Awesome party, it was a blast. Look forward to seeing you all there next year

Leave a comment:

• SecretIdentity
    replied

Originally posted by bascule View Post
    best badge mod: LEMON PARTY!
    No way! Best badge mod I saw was:

CPE17
    04TKS

Awesome! Exactly 10 characters.

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied

best badge mod: LEMON PARTY!

Leave a comment:

• kallahar
    replied

Wow, after watching that video I have a huge amount of respect for what went into making that badge. Great job everyone!

And thank you barkode for being so open about the party and everything. It's great to get "inside" info on how hard everyone works!

Leave a comment:

• evel aka matt
    replied

Fucking awesome party, no two ways about it. Great venue (I smoke there on occasion), great music, and good company. Wish I woulda known earlier about manpower being needed, I would've been happy to help insert displays. I hope the "complex idea" happens next year. I know that you and cnelson are only in LA, but if you need any help on the ground in Vegas, don't be afraid to call.

My hopefully-constructive criticisms:

Door check by valet is a great idea, along with maybe hand-stamps (even for badge-holders) to stop 2 friends from getting everyone they know into the party one at a time.

After the first hour, the place definitely got way packed. Another overflow area would be great, but I'm not sure if there's even one available. The lobby stayed mostly manageable (except for right in front of the bar, at times), with lots of places to sit, which was way nice. It was pretty damn warm, which is hard to deal with in Vegas, but not impossible.

Big ups for not turning the place LA-like by restricting smoking. Especially since the patio out-back seemed to be one of the most heavily-crowded spots.

Leave a comment:

• charliex
    replied

I did the same fix for another chap, used my hakko 808 to desolder it and a small screwdriver to pry it out.

Leave a comment:

• DCFluX
    replied

I got my badge at the HHV with the premise that I had to repair it to get in to the party.

During assembly one of the YETDAs was inserted upside down, Bottom row 2nd in. Total bitch to get it out. Torched the board and then the display started melting to it's neighbors. Took some wave soldering with gobs of solder and a screwdriver prying, spent like 30 minutes just to get it out.

It was even worse trying to get the display back in to the board. Every hole had to be wicked to the plating material and every pin on the display needed wicked and bent as close to factory spec as possible. Had to trim the plastic with a knife where it was melted.

Then I had to blow the surface mount micro controller with hot air to eliminate the earlier pecker tracks from the display reworking.

Seems the party was standing room only. The people there were some of the most beautiful nerds I've seen, and everyone was dressed to thrill. Got a rum and coke and didn't stay long, the noise and crowd was setting off my claustrophobia that I didn't know I had.

Leave a comment:

• A
    replied

Awesome work all around and an epic tale.

Please make sure to screw up some badges again next year, impromptu trivia in the HHV for a chance to fix a badge to get into the best party at DEFCON was very cool. I'll try to have some better questions figured out before hand for DC18.

Leave a comment:

• barkode
    replied

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    i am convinced that i didn't get to see one half or even one third of the ninja party this year, as you are describing aspects of the affair that were nowhere in sight for me. i do hope that none of my above comments were seen as an indication that i didn't think you guys did a great job... i always knew you'd bring it, like before... but i will admit i was seriously lacking on the details of just how great a job you did.
    I appreciate it - also I know that all of your criticism is totally constructive, no worries at all. Same goes for my counterarguments of course, just presenting my side. It's a discussion that needed to happen anyway.

Venue-wise there was a back patio you might have missed and some other inside areas as well, but the technology exhibits (other than the photo booth which was a lot of fun) were largely out-of-sight this year due to practical limitations. We're going to fix that next year.

something that totally clashes with my usual notion of "non-exclusivity is best" would be a suggestion for next year... making invites required for access to the whole affair somehow. the crowds were unbelievably unmanageable when i was there. we couldn't walk in, out, mingle, get to the bar, sit down, etc etc etc.
    There was one primary "packed" area most of the night - between bar entry and the bar. The rest of the venue was busy but was easy to move around. If you were just in the bar area, I can see how you would get that impression.

Some of that was due to the fake invites going around which caused some clogging, some of it was more practical, such as the presence of chairs at the bar. We're probably going to remove some of the chairs next year to open it up a bit. We're definitely considering having the doorcheck be at the valet area as well, which will help with crowding in the bar area.

As crowded as it was, I felt that it was still really easy to get around, except the area right by the bar. The rest of the venue I felt was plenty easy to navigate.

i would have loved the chance of seeing all that you had going on there, but the myriad of hard-to-navigate lines, crowds, and bouncers that appeared to be inside the party were what turned me off at the time. next time i'll try to push on through harder. however, maybe that situation could be improved by stationing one checkpoint (totally outside) where badges are checked... maybe i'm misunderstanding but it seemed like a lot of the crowd inside weren't ninja badge folk, but had just showed up to mingle. maybe i'm wrong there.
    You're right about moving the checkpoint outside of the hotel, we had that discussion the following day. This year there was one chokepoint - between the lobby and the bar. That's the line you saw. It actually only existed about once every ten minutes - right after a rush of people showed up after a shuttle pulled up. After they got in, there would be no line for the next ten minutes. Even still - the line moved pretty quickly. It just LOOKED ominous.

But this is the core reason we want to move the doorcheck to the front door of the hotel. That said, I actually thought the lobby area was optimally populated, and I hope to maintain that next year. Busy, but easy to move.

As far as stuff to see - hopefully next year we'll actually be able to get the rest of the technology stuff out and running to add some more things to do.

still, the location was terrific in terms of how else it could have been and i do hope you try something like this again in the future (with just a little bit more manageable crowd control and passes for the pillow fight posse, heh)
    Chris and I feel bad about the pillow fight team, their whole thing was supposed to be handled by a third party. Let's make sure next year we sort that out ahead of time. I'm sure I'll find you next year and make sure you're all set. FWIW, in the end, someone from the EFF did grab me and have me walk in the entire pillow fight crew (or so they said). I didn't see you there at the time, though.

i promise to keep and open mind and an open heart and still look forward to coming again if you'll slip me and my dates a couple invites.
    Awesome. We appreciate it!

Leave a comment:

• valkyrie
    replied

barkode:

Absolutely awesome. Thank you. I want to come out and play with you all next year.

Regards,

valkyrie

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

We really wanted a nice, attractive venue with a full bar, dedicated staff, room for technology exhibits, outside smoking areas, lots of seating, quiet areas for talking, and quiet areas for talking. Yes, quiet areas for talking is in there twice. Being unable to hold a normal conversation in a skybox party always bothered me.
    i am convinced that i didn't get to see one half or even one third of the ninja party this year, as you are describing aspects of the affair that were nowhere in sight for me. i do hope that none of my above comments were seen as an indication that i didn't think you guys did a great job... i always knew you'd bring it, like before... but i will admit i was seriously lacking on the details of just how great a job you did.

something that totally clashes with my usual notion of "non-exclusivity is best" would be a suggestion for next year... making invites required for access to the whole affair somehow. the crowds were unbelievably unmanageable when i was there. we couldn't walk in, out, mingle, get to the bar, sit down, etc etc etc.

i would have loved the chance of seeing all that you had going on there, but the myriad of hard-to-navigate lines, crowds, and bouncers that appeared to be inside the party were what turned me off at the time. next time i'll try to push on through harder. however, maybe that situation could be improved by stationing one checkpoint (totally outside) where badges are checked... maybe i'm misunderstanding but it seemed like a lot of the crowd inside weren't ninja badge folk, but had just showed up to mingle. maybe i'm wrong there.

Depending on traffic luck, it took between 5 minutes and 10 minutes to get to the Artisan on a shuttle, and we ran multiple shuttles constantly all night.
    heh, i still disagree with this figure, as our shuttle seemed to take 15 minutes or more on the way there. coming back to the Riv was closer to 10 minutes, i'll grant.

still, the location was terrific in terms of how else it could have been and i do hope you try something like this again in the future (with just a little bit more manageable crowd control and passes for the pillow fight posse, heh)

i promise to keep and open mind and an open heart and still look forward to coming again if you'll slip me and my dates a couple invites.

thanks again for everything, you guys.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X