Docsis 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Docsis 3

So I just signed up for the new Comcast DOCSIS 3 50m/12m stupid fast service last night, only to realize that at least 2 of my security appliances don't keep up now, and will definitely max out with the new service. I would end up having to disable anything but NAT and stateful packet Inspection to get full speed. That's means no AV, or IDS on the gateway which of course isn't acceptable. Could always turn one of my computers into a Linux based firewall. My UTM subscription is running out in September so perhaps it's time to upgrade my gear.

It turns out I re-watched Sneakers last night. The days of acoustic coupled modems and trying to fit everything into 2k worth of audio bandwidth.

The bad news for DOCSIS 3 is no more free analog cable. Digital terminators will be required to get anything out of the cable.

So what do people like in the way of UTM's these days? I have a Sonicwall and a Watchguard so I get a discount if I chose to upgrade them. Cisco feels expensive.

xor
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Re: Docsis 3

That's curious about the devices not being able to keep up. What kinds of things did you see happening to lead you to this?

I'm wondering because I've been considering doing this at work when it becomes available and I'm wondering how my devices behind the cable modem would handle it. I'd think that since they're all designed for 100MB traffic that they shouldn't get overwhelmed.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

My Sonicwall 1260 Pro Enhanced uses 10/100 ports, no 1000 ports. My current cable modem also has 10/100 ports. I have 22/5 now, and what I see on the LAN and DMZ sides are 3m/3m. That's with IDS, AV, NAT, and packet inspection enabled.

I have a Linksys WRT600N running DD-WRT and I get full speed out of that on the LAN side. It has 1000 ports on it. But no IDS or AV on the device; just NAT and stateful packet inspection.

I also have a Watchguard Firebox 3 700, and get full speed out of that provided that any type of proxy is turned off. The unit doesn't have any gateway IDS or AV on it either just NAT and stateful packet inspection.

All my computers use 1000 ports.

I'm looking at Sonicwall NSA 240 or TZ 210N.

xor
      Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

http://speedtest.comcast.net/

Internal use field service speed test site for Comcast employees. (or was, until someone; not me, posted it on the internet)

xor

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
          So what do people like in the way of UTM's these days? I have a Sonicwall and a Watchguard so I get a discount if I chose to upgrade them. Cisco feels expensive.
          I like Sonicwall, I like Sonicwall a lot. However, if you want to go down the route of building a linux pig, I hear good things about Endian on the software side, of course, you'd have to use your own box, as their hardware lacks gigabit support across the board last i checked.
          "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Originally posted by sintax_error View Post
            I like Sonicwall, I like Sonicwall a lot. However, if you want to go down the route of building a linux pig, I hear good things about Endian on the software side, of course, you'd have to use your own box, as their hardware lacks gigabit support across the board last i checked.
            Looks like the bigger boxes have gigabit. Though their smallest box should still work. 200 megabit throughput.

By the way Xor, you suck! The fastest internet connection I can get here is 6Mb.

Comment

So it seems they do. 6Mb, while not horrible for copper, but remember, we still have some stuck at 768k DSL...

Comment

I am personally a fan of Cisco boxes. But if its your dime, or you're on a tight budget I would look hard at the Sonicwall NSA 240. Its a good box for the money in my opinion. For the week or so i played with one it seemed easy to configure and worked well.
                Last edited by EggDr0p; August 17, 2009, 18:38.

Comment

So it seems they do. 6Mb, while not horrible for copper, but remember, we still have some stuck at 768k DSL...
                  That would be my aunt and uncle, though that's really all they need. The guy I work with just got his parents off dial up. Dad wouldn't pay for anything faster if the phone company was giving them 56k for free!

Comment

Originally posted by barry99705 View Post
                    That would be my aunt and uncle, though that's really all they need. The guy I work with just got his parents off dial up. Dad wouldn't pay for anything faster if the phone company was giving them 56k for free!
                    My wife's parents are still on Dial-up and AOL.
                    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
                      ouch... just, ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
                        I just moved my wife's parent from dial up to a wireless router with a AT&T aircard in it. It would actually be a pretty cool setup if they had a decent signal. They live in the middle of nowhere so no other options. Unfortunatetly since they are in No-whereville they get around two bars of service (No 3G). Dial up is actually faster for them, but they are convinced otherwise so I'm not going to burst their bubble.

Comment

ouch... just, ouch.
                          It's cool to watch the horse on the treadmill run the generator to get the dial up working though.

Comment

Working...
                          X