X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metasploit sold to Rapid7

http://www.rapid7.com/metasploit-announcement.jsp

http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerabi...leID=220800067

First thoughts? I don't have much to put into this topic because I'm not yet at the point where I deem myself skilled enough to use Metasploit, but I'm skeptical for the future because every piece of training for security professionals at some point touches Metasploit.
    "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Re: Metasploit sold to Rapid7

HDM is making damn sure that things stay open source and free for the community

I have no idea the internal agreements that are in place for that, but I know that HDM specifically doesn't want a repeat of nessus/tenable situation.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

I would hope that Metasploit stays opensource. Nessus was one tool I loved until it was sold. Now it is just a pain in the rear (sorry if I offended any fanboys) but that is how I feel. I can understand the sell if it is to get more dev money/resources. God knows I want to see more cool f00 come from the metasploit tools/team.

Please HD... make sure us poor security folks can still use metasploit, write our own exploit modules without having to sell a kidney to do so. I promise that when the zombie uprising happens... you can crash on my couch and eat all the food you want. Just keep metasploit opensource.

Thanks... and now back to work.
      XS

Comment

Happy for HDM and Metasploit with a healthy dose of skepticism (hopefully misplaced).
        "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Working...
        X