Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Location of shoot for DC17 was a good one, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Location of shoot for DC17 was a good one, but...

Originally posted by MissterY View Post
    Thanks Cot, I will do that. And yeah, I know some people that will be at the shoot and would let me pop off a few rounds, if not force me to so they can teach me a few things...and I'm good, [edit]

Anyway, I was really interested in the archery thing. That is one thing that I could do for sure. I was almost about to ask if there was any way to "rent" a low weight compound bow, but then I stopped myself when I realized it would be just like asking to rent a gun. And no establishment would go for it. I figured that would sound absurd considering all the red tape one has to go through to get a weapon and figured googling it would be futile.

And yeah sintax, I get it. You wouldn't want to hand over an instrument that is very dangerous and could be easily misused if put into the wrong hands. And you're right, I would probably never hand over my weapons to anyone else either.

I know Dev pretty well, and I'm sure he will share his weapons and infinite knowledge about them and everything else he knows about. Quest complete.
    "Renting" a gun isn't that big of a deal, as long as you're shooting it at the establishment that is renting it. I've rented full auto MP5's, AR15's and several handguns before. I don't think it's really possible at Defcon, but you can normally do it at gun shops that have an attached range if you want to get a feel of different firearms.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

I know I let at least three or four people fire my pistol last year. Two of them were complete newbies I think, having never fired a weapon before DC. I'm more than happy to let people shoot my weapon, so long as they understand I'll be right behind them the whole time lol.

I brought 150 rounds with me, but this year I'm going to bring at least double that. I'm also hoping to purchase a .22 pistol as well in the next few months, since my normal pistol is a little expensive to spend all morning shooting, and I'd like to start teaching my son to shoot.

Mel
      Secretary

Comment

i will have my usual spread of steel. while i'm still uncertain about all the details, i'm relatively sure that at least one of the AR's will be there, the M1A of course, and the 22's because they're so inexpensive and fun.

with my CCWs no longer valid for NV, i may or may not have my H&K carry piece... but if people want to give it a whirl, i could bring that along also. i've become a total USP fanboy and enjoy evangelizing to others and letting them get a feel for it.

In the great Sig vs USP debate you can see where your loyalties lie.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

And yeah sintax, I get it. You wouldn't want to hand over an instrument that is very dangerous and could be easily misused if put into the wrong hands. And you're right, I would probably never hand over my weapons to anyone else either.
          Perhaps there is a slight misinterpretation with my statement, perhaps not, but just to clarify a little bit; I'm not at all saying that I myself wouldn't let someone else pop off a few with one of my firearms. I'm saying that it's not something you can just walk up and ask a stranger to do like taking a picture for you, you've got to at least talk to the person first. Provided logistics pan out this year (so far so good), I'm sure there will be a multitude of people I've met and some I haven't that will throw some lead downrange with my iron. I suppose my main point was that the use of someone else's weapon isn't something to be taken lightly. My personal range etiquette is I'm sure similar to many others: If you're not an asshat, and would like to give one of my pieces a go, "by all means, let me show you it's quirks so you don't hurt yourself."

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
          ...i've become a total USP fanboy and enjoy evangelizing to others and letting them get a feel for it.

In the great Sig vs USP debate you can see where your loyalties lie.
          I once again find myself envious of your equipment, Dev. I have a Sig, though i want a USP, rent one every time I hit the indoor range out here, and borrow my aunt's every time she'll let me. My loyalties in that debate favor the USP full size. Though my 1911 will always remain my handgun of choice. it's something about the feel of a 1911 that does it for me. Weighty, solid, just a sexy piece of engineering that has stood the test of time.
          Last edited by sintax_error; February 18, 2010, 14:13. Reason: Re: Deviant's last post.
          "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

i've become a total USP fanboy and enjoy evangelizing to others and letting them get a feel for it.
            Just have to jump on this bandwagon for a sec, I picked up USP FS .40 back in 1998 that I've put several thousand rounds through and I absolutely love. For Father's Day two years ago I got an XD Sub-compact in .40 and it's my new fling. One's great for CCW and one's great for accuracy and overall badassness. :) </bandwagon>
            Last edited by AlxRogan; February 18, 2010, 14:09.
            Aut disce aut discede

Comment

Originally posted by AlxRogan View Post
              Just have to jump on this bandwagon for a sec, I picked up USP FS .40 back in 1998 that I've put several thousand rounds through and I absolutely love. For Father's Day two years ago I got an XD Sub-compact in .40 and it's my new fling. One's great for CCW and one's great for accuracy and overall badassness. :) </bandwagon>
              Any H&K weapon is the cat's ass. You can't do any better than those weapons. I own several, a P7M8, an HK94, and an SL7, and I've always got my eye out for more.
              Thorn
              "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by sintax_error View Post
                My personal range etiquette is I'm sure similar to many others: If you're not an asshat, and would like to give one of my pieces a go, "by all means, let me show you it's quirks so you don't hurt yourself."
                Thats pretty much how I interpreted, but wanted to err on the safer side.

Don't be an asshat. Check. But I suppose the real obstacle that would stop me from getting to shoot is whether or not I'm sober enough to even see straight. heh.

Comment

Thats pretty much how I interpreted, but wanted to err on the safer side.
                  Always a good side to err on.

Don't be an asshat. Check. But I suppose the real obstacle that would stop me from getting to shoot is whether or not I'm sober enough to even see straight. heh.
                  Being so would be a logical prerequisite :]

Comment

with my CCWs no longer valid for NV, i may or may not have my H&K carry piece... but if people want to give it a whirl, i could bring that along also. i've become a total USP fanboy and enjoy evangelizing to others and letting them get a feel for it.
                    How come? Is this true for PA as well?

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
                    Any H&K weapon is the cat's ass. You can't do any better than those weapons. I own several, a P7M8, an HK94, and an SL7, and I've always got my eye out for more.
                    Yes they are very nice weapons. I owned an HK93 which was awesome.

xor
                    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
                      Yes they are very nice weapons. I owned an HK93 which was awesome.
                      I've lusted owning an HK91 or an HK93 for years, and have despaired of of getting either since the "assault rifle" ban at anything close to a reasonable price. Recently however, I've found a company that makes the uppers here in the US, and sells genuine HK parts for the rest of the rifle. Plans are now underway to obtain both.
                      Thorn
                      "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

I once again find myself envious of your equipment
                        heh, don't envy me too much. this was a used (although barely-fired) pistol that i picked up for a song on gunbroker... not a flashy, new purchase.

I have a Sig, though i want a USP
                        indeed, i went back and forth on those two for so very long when shopping around. in truth, they're such similar firearms that it just comes to minor preferences... like people debating Mossberg vs Remington for a good pump shotgun. ;-)

heh... what do you have in the way of a Sig? A P239 perhaps? if that were the case, maybe we could have a small "compare for yourself" test for anyone who might be debating a new carry piece. (could be a small market for takers, given that any local gun range or gun shop can allow folk to compare for themselves, etc)

1911 will always remain my handgun of choice. it's something about the feel of a 1911 that does it for me. Weighty, solid, just a sexy piece of engineering that has stood the test of time.
                        i absolutely felt that way for a long, long time. but then i ultimately adopted the mantra of Sam from Ronin...

"as far as supply of weapons goes... you know, it's a toolbox... you put in the tools to do the job" (fans of that fine motion picture will no doubt remember that he preferred and ultimately used a 1911 in his work in France)

however, in my view, it simply makes so much more sense to consider every situation independently, and focus on a multitude of manifold factors...

1, what conditions are you in? (physical, mental, environmental, etc)
                        2. how much ammo do you need to carry?
                        3. with what attire will a sidearm be worn?
                        4. how good are your supply lines and general availability of materiel likely to be?

the 1911 is perhaps my favorite pistol (chalk up a good portion of that opinion to non-technical romance factor that shouldn't carry as much weight as it does) and most assuredly would be what i'd want with me the most if i was in either the hypothetical "zombie apocalypse" or "alone in the outback for months at a time" scenario.

when supply of new parts, cleaning products, and rugged harsh conditions are the norm... sure... the 1911 is fabulous.

however, if you're talking about daily carry in a modern, industrialized nation in a time of peace... in situations when i'm hardly ever likely going to need to draw and almost any threat wouldn't extend past a few rounds fired, nowadays i'll choose something lighter and with a smaller frame, hands-down. the trade-off of power/resilience versus "i can wear this all day without discomfort" and "i can wear this without feeling like my shorts are going to fall down" etc etc always comes down squarely in the USP column for me now.

of coruse, i still felt "guilty" on some level, like i wasn't preparing myself enough... it was Boston's Gun Bible that washed away that particular sin with a ballistic fact that i can never repeat enough to anyone who will listen...

.40 S&W offers 93% the kinetic energy of .45 ACP

... wash yourself in the river and let your guilt be cleansed away, brothers and sisters! the reverend of forty caliber is here to testify!
                        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                        - Trent Reznor

Comment

heh... what do you have in the way of a Sig? A P239 perhaps? if that were the case, maybe we could have a small "compare for yourself" test for anyone who might be debating a new carry piece. (could be a small market for takers, given that any local gun range or gun shop can allow folk to compare for themselves, etc)
                          I wish, P232. Not even in the same league as a USP.

the 1911 is perhaps my favorite pistol (chalk up a good portion of that opinion to non-technical romance factor that shouldn't carry as much weight as it does) and most assuredly would be what i'd want with me the most if i was in either the hypothetical "zombie apocalypse" or "alone in the outback for months at a time" scenario.
                          This is true, in the wold of a George A. Romero movie, as far as a sidearm goes, I would want nothing less than my 1911. If I were to carry, in our modern. industrialized, pre-apocalyptic society, and it was something I currently own, the FN P9 wins out for the same reasons you cited. Plus what it lacks in punch, it makes up for in successive repeatability.

.40 S&W offers 93% the kinetic energy of .45 ACP
                          True, however, one must consider the the vessel facilitating that kinetic energy. Don't get me wrong, I love the .40 S&W, but I have seldom found a pistol worth owning chambered for such. The Springfield XD .40, USP .40, and Sig P239 are great examples of a good, solid .40 weapon... as I learned the hard (and expensive way) the Smith and Wesson Sigma .40, and, I know someone's going to hate me for saying it, the Glock 23 are poor examples of the same. Those who disagree with me there, keep in mind these are my own opinions only and based on my experiences with the above firearms.

In the end, a sidearm choice all boils down to personal preference, what are you comfortable wearing, and what are you comfortable shooting.

Comment

I love the .40 S&W, but I have seldom found a pistol worth owning chambered for such. The Springfield XD .40, USP .40, and Sig P239 are great examples of a good, solid .40 weapon... as I learned the hard (and expensive way) the Smith and Wesson Sigma .40, and, I know someone's going to hate me for saying it, the Glock 23 are poor examples of the same. Those who disagree with me there, keep in mind these are my own opinions only and based on my experiences with the above firearms
                            don't know if it's true for any of the others in your list, but the high priest of .40 cal shall read yet another passage from the Book of USP...
                            "And yea, the gods did reach down and with a celestial finger stroke the design boards of the H&K USP, making the .40 caliber gun fully functional for 9mm Parabellum ammo with no modifications to the frame, slide, or even magazines."

that's something i didn't even totally know when i made that purchase. i can drop an after market barrel into my USP and it will eat 9x19 ammo (which is a lot more plentiful) with no problem. even the magazines will feed it just fine. that astounded and thrilled me.
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

See, now you've got me second guessing myself, my next handgun was slated to be a USP FS chambered in .45ACP... I now find myself after that beautiful passage looking at spec sheets for a .40 compact. My wishlist far exceeds my budget however, as I have also been looking at similar models from FN and Walther. my next handgun purchase will certainly be a carry piece, for the day I end up with a CCW. i suppose more time at the local indoor range, who offers a generous selection of handguns for rent is in order.

Comment

Working...
                              X