Schuyler Towne mentioned online in the news with Defcon Lockpicking contests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    Re: Schuyler Towne mentioned online in the news with Defcon Lockpicking contests

That woman called me last november and left a message. I called her back and she was rude and then hung up. I didn't get another call. Darn.

Leave a comment:

• Schuyler
    replied
    Re: Schuyler Towne mentioned online in the news with Defcon Lockpicking contests

Woah! Sorry to get in on this so late, I just haven't been around the forums much in months. Thanks for posting this up here. And yeah, Jim Pasco is basically the go-to guy to get an anti-locksport quote from. I've had reporters ask me several times who they can talk to, and I tell them, very honestly, that I don't actually know anyone. I mean, my cousin is a bit uncomfortable with it, but I don't know any public figure who actively rails against the hobby. Most reasonable people, even if their first reaction is negative, quickly catch on to what the sport/hobby is about & the illegitimacy of the dangers.

Anyway, I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but either way I think Andrea did a nice job with the piece & just felt like she was obligated to provide a counter point. In the context of the story she doesn't really give him too much time or serious analysis.

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied

I'm very curious as to whether Pasco truly believes what he is saying, or if he is just saying what the media expects the FOP to say.

Leave a comment:

• sintax_error
    replied

Valid points from both Deviant and Thorn. 100% agree. However, there is one place that locks are picked for nefarious purposes all the time, I mean criminals picking or bumping their way in is a practice running rampant in this place, a real menace to society. This place, gentlemen, is TV Land. When average John Q. Public listens to this spew equivalent to the southbound deposit of a northbound stallion, and then sees it happen on the tube, or in a movie, he justifies in his own mind that there is a real and obvious threat of some lowlife committing such an act against him. Thus, "This Dicktard" gains credibility with the fleece bearing public. It truly is shameful.

Leave a comment:

• Thorn
    replied

To add my two cents to this, Pasco's remarks are totally bogus. The incidence of picked locks in crimes is so low as to be statistically insignificant.

Over a 20 year period, I worked literally thousands of crime scenes -everything from simple burglaries to "whodunit" homicides- and in all those scenes, NOT ONCE did I ever see evidence of a picked lock. A retired toolmark examiner for the FBI's forensic lab with whom I was associated once told me that the FBI lab rarely sees picked locks. Realistically, it just does not happen.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

heh... this was one day where old mediums of communication were faster than the intertubez for me. Mouse was in her car and heard the "radio" broadcast, then called me using a "telephone" device she had in her home. it was only later on that Daisy saw Schuyler tweet about the NPR piece, and now i see the forums have caught it.

19th century communications - 1
    data reaching me via internet - 0

as for the NPR piece, it's pretty cool. i have no idea why journalists still think it's most appropriate to go out and find the biggest douche moron on the planet to get some sort of "controversy" quote under the guise of "fairness" or something. they dropped in that line from the head of the FOP saying...

Originally posted by This Dicktard
    "Well, I'm unaware of any sport like, Let's pretend we robbed a bank."

Pasco says he takes issue with a sport that glorifies skills associated with breaking and entering.

"It would be a great place for a criminal, or would-be criminal, to educate him or herself on how to gain access to premises not his or her own"
    ... and they did this without including any rebuttal from us, despite both Schulyer and i totally debunking that nonsense when the reporter contacted us for background and fact-checking, etc.

To summarize what i told Ms. Shea during our discussions...

1. There are actually plenty of sports where the basis is fictitious violent battle for territory or the competitive display of marshall skills... but no one is saying let's get rid of Football or Rugby or Archery or Marksmanship.

2. Point One is almost totally groundless anyway, however, because Locksport has nothing to do with breaking and entering and focuses exclusively on picking the lock methodically and artfully... as opposed to damaging it.

3. There is nothing whatosever that a common street criminal could learn at any Locksport event which would pay immediate dividends to them. Criminals, by definition, take the easy way in life... and learning picking, particularly with great skill, takes years. Street criminals break in, they don't pick in. This knowledge has been out for decades, and yet there is no well known and documented case anywhere of a petty thief / street criminal using lockpicking to ply their trade. As a former member of a police outfit, Mr. Pasco should know that.

Interesting side note... the bulk of Jim Pasco's time is now spent at the lobbying firm which he started. One of his larger clients is Miller Coors. Here's a former cop crowing about how Locksport is dangerous... but how many times are police dispatched on a call concerning a breach of the peace with lockpicks? Versus how many times on calls concerning drunkenness, DUI/DWI, etc etc etc?

Two minutes of Googling demonstrates loads of evidence regarding what a complete and total douche that guy is.

Leave a comment:

• Schuyler Towne mentioned online in the news with Defcon Lockpicking contests

Artcile Link

Reference to lock picking competitions at Defcon:
    Originally posted by article
    Towne practices so he can beat his rivals in lock-picking contests. He competes at hacker conventions such as Def Con in Las Vegas, where he even presented a lecture titled "Locksport: An Emerging Subculture."
Working...
X