April Fools Day, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April Fools Day, 2010

April Fool's Day comes around once a year, and we often see various pranks on the Internet. What amusing April Fool's Day hoaxes, jokes(es), or humor have you found today?

A buddy of mine reported that xkcd shows a terminal for navigation of strips today.

Re: April Fools Day, 2010

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post

A buddy of mine reported that xkcd shows a terminal for navigation of strips today.
    Yes, and rm -rf / doesn't work. :surprised
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

But "hello joshua" does, as do several other easter eggs. Source code is riddled with hilarious commands.

Comment

I would have never thought of hello joshua. Thanks for posting that.

Here's a list someone put together: http://martinkou.blogspot.com/2010/0...n-unixkcd.html

Comment

Hah, sudo rm -rf / does work. Fancy that.

Comment

Originally posted by abyssknight View Post
            Hah, sudo rm -rf / does work. Fancy that.
            I didn't get that far, got killed by a Grue.
            A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

I rather liked sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Shouldn't that be Google, Kansas?
                Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

reddit made their site look like everyone has administrator privileges. It even remembers the fake moderation you've done, like banning other users or editing post titles.
                  45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                  45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                  [ redacted ]

Comment

Woot! It's apparently moving to an action/adventure RPG format, making you jump through various hoops in order to give them your money!
                    "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

slashdot has 'slashroulette'
                      http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/0...et-Matchmaking
                      apparently blizzard's doing something as well. :)
                      It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

I'm here for my defcon badge?
                        Network Jesus died for your SYN

Comment

Originally posted by bjaming View Post
                          I'm here for my defcon badge?
                          Heh heh. Did you enter the captcha correctly?

Welcome to April Fools Day.

Comment

The local news actually assured "confused residents" that Google has no official plans to change it's name or URL to "Topeka"... And my already dwindling faith in humanity suffers yet another blow.
                            "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

April fools is mostly over.

Like last year, we setup 3 different results that would be displayed from the "top" level of the forums the first time you connected from an IP address that had not been shown at least one of the resulting pages.

Modulus 3 of seconds since Jan 1, 1970 GMT when the page was requested provided the index values (0, 1 or 2) to use with directing your browser to one of the 3 files.

This routine was followed by any visit to:
                              https://forum.defcon.org/
                              https://forum.defcon.org/index.php
                              if you had not visited these pages from your IP since the code was activated (around 8:30am pacific time)

Fake News story: HOPE and Defcon combine for Defcon 19 in Topeka, Kansas:
                              (Several fake headlines on left margin, too.)
                              https://forum.defcon.org/af2010/index-2010-af-0.html

Fake News Story: CDC and DOE grant money to Defcon and DNA checks when you get a badge:
                              (Several fake headlines on left margin, too.)
                              https://forum.defcon.org/af2010/index-2010-af-1.html

Fake form: Buy your Defcon 18 Badges on the web!
                              https://forum.defcon.org/af2010/index-2010-af-2.html

A sense of urgency is pushed by making the perception of quantity limited, and then adding the key phrase, "limited edition," so as to encourage the user to rush, instead of being careful. Things seem to work fine with the form until you get closer to the bottom. Fields tell your browser a maximum number of chars to use that are too small for valid answer. Radio buttons for credit card selection don't work because they are images, and the captcha includes symbols that are not western letters in addition to letters, but the human validation field only accepts 1 character of input when the max length is followed. The submit button is also an image and link. None of the data you typed in any of those fields is transmitted. (Check the source to see. You never actually submit/post anything.) I purposefully left off the CCN field, and munged the credit card images with this parody because I don't want trouble from the credit card companies.

All links on all pages point here to quickly dispel the illusion.

And just like last year, these links will be purposefully broken some time after midnight (when I get around to it.)

Happy April Fools Day everyone.
                              Last edited by TheCotMan; April 1, 2010, 22:11.

Comment

Working...
                              X