• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theprez98
    replied
    Re: April Fools Day, 2010

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
    On the plus side, they were W3C validated as HTML and created using "vi" :-)
    People still use vi?

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Originally posted by sintax_error View Post
    I personally enjoyed the "Welcome to the Conficker Botnet" page from last year. Were the comments on that one actually added by previous visitors or just random internet screams?
    The pranks from last year were all fabricated by me like the text in the fake interviews with Noid, Jeff, and Roamer this year. (Obviously, they didn't say these things. I tried to create something like what they would say using their provided public persona based on posted content like a "WW[NJR]{1}D" (What would [Noid||Jeff||Roamer] Do?))

The ideas for the 3 examples this year were the result of collaboration with the the mods, so no one person can take credit for all of the ideas pushed to those 3 April Fool's Day pranks this year. If there was any fault with the presentation of these ideas, then the blame is mine. (On the plus side, they were W3C validated as HTML and created using "vi" :-)
    Last edited by TheCotMan; April 5, 2010, 23:09.

Leave a comment:

• sintax_error
    replied

I personally enjoyed the "Welcome to the Conficker Botnet" page from last year. Were the comments on that one actually added by previous visitors or just random internet screams?

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Originally posted by YenTheFirst View Post
    that is an epic CAPTCHA. I may have to use that, if you don't mind.
    I'm fine with that. Just credit the Defcon forums with it somewhere. It was pretty easy to make with gimp and choose fonts that were non-western chars, and then emulate captcha software results.

It really is hard to come up with good ideas for April Fools Day on the forums and be unlike other sites on the Internet. I've archived all the previous examples I've provided, and the best one was the "defcon.org has expired. Pay $19.95 to renew?" That was one of three from last year. Hard to beat that one.

Leave a comment:

• YenTheFirst
    replied

that is an epic CAPTCHA. I may have to use that, if you don't mind.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

April fools is mostly over.

Like last year, we setup 3 different results that would be displayed from the "top" level of the forums the first time you connected from an IP address that had not been shown at least one of the resulting pages.

Modulus 3 of seconds since Jan 1, 1970 GMT when the page was requested provided the index values (0, 1 or 2) to use with directing your browser to one of the 3 files.

This routine was followed by any visit to:
    https://forum.defcon.org/
    https://forum.defcon.org/index.php
    if you had not visited these pages from your IP since the code was activated (around 8:30am pacific time)

Fake News story: HOPE and Defcon combine for Defcon 19 in Topeka, Kansas:
    (Several fake headlines on left margin, too.)
    https://forum.defcon.org/af2010/index-2010-af-0.html

Fake News Story: CDC and DOE grant money to Defcon and DNA checks when you get a badge:
    (Several fake headlines on left margin, too.)
    https://forum.defcon.org/af2010/index-2010-af-1.html

Fake form: Buy your Defcon 18 Badges on the web!
    https://forum.defcon.org/af2010/index-2010-af-2.html

A sense of urgency is pushed by making the perception of quantity limited, and then adding the key phrase, "limited edition," so as to encourage the user to rush, instead of being careful. Things seem to work fine with the form until you get closer to the bottom. Fields tell your browser a maximum number of chars to use that are too small for valid answer. Radio buttons for credit card selection don't work because they are images, and the captcha includes symbols that are not western letters in addition to letters, but the human validation field only accepts 1 character of input when the max length is followed. The submit button is also an image and link. None of the data you typed in any of those fields is transmitted. (Check the source to see. You never actually submit/post anything.) I purposefully left off the CCN field, and munged the credit card images with this parody because I don't want trouble from the credit card companies.

All links on all pages point here to quickly dispel the illusion.

And just like last year, these links will be purposefully broken some time after midnight (when I get around to it.)

Happy April Fools Day everyone.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; April 1, 2010, 22:11.

Leave a comment:

• sintax_error
    replied

The local news actually assured "confused residents" that Google has no official plans to change it's name or URL to "Topeka"... And my already dwindling faith in humanity suffers yet another blow.

Leave a comment:

• TheCotMan
    replied

Originally posted by bjaming View Post
    I'm here for my defcon badge?
    Heh heh. Did you enter the captcha correctly?

Welcome to April Fools Day.

Leave a comment:

• bjaming
    replied

I'm here for my defcon badge?

Leave a comment:

• YenTheFirst
    replied

slashdot has 'slashroulette'
    http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/0...et-Matchmaking
    apparently blizzard's doing something as well. :)

Leave a comment:

• sintax_error
    replied

Woot! It's apparently moving to an action/adventure RPG format, making you jump through various hoops in order to give them your money!

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied

reddit made their site look like everyone has administrator privileges. It even remembers the fake moderation you've done, like banning other users or editing post titles.

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied

Shouldn't that be Google, Kansas?

Leave a comment:

• beakmyn
    replied

I rather liked sudo make me a sandwich

Leave a comment:

• streaker69
    replied

Originally posted by abyssknight View Post
    Hah, sudo rm -rf / does work. Fancy that.
    I didn't get that far, got killed by a Grue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X