Adobe Acrobat Reader updates are getting insane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe Acrobat Reader updates are getting insane

So... am i the only one who thinks that Adobe's update software process has gotten way too annoying and a bit scary? First of all, their "update reminder" tools seem to have gotten a lot more intrusive, behaving like windows update (popping up in the corner and refusing to go away no matter what).

After the update was applied i was graced with more program icons on the desktop and start menu than an AOL installer would have dropped, it seemed.

But what is particularly crazy to me is the other way in which this has become like Windows Update... after installing this latest patch, the system alerted me that i must reboot right away blah blah blah. Seriously... what the ass? Adobe Acrobat is not a critical system process. The program wasn't running when i did this update. It should not be running in the background. What the hell could it be doing to the system that makes it ask to reboot the damn box?

I'm dying for someone to reverse engineer the whole Adobe suite so fully and release open source PDF readers, Flash players, etc... flash for android, hassle-free open document viewing for all O/S platforms, etc. Damn, that would be heaven.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader updates are getting insane

I can attest to that. I noticed the same thing just the other day. One thing I’m doing that may be helpful to others in regards to seeing exactly what the program is doing:

Norton 360 has a very handy part of the firewall that allows you to block separate program components. These components (based on what I’ve seen so far) are normally DLLs and other system files that attempt to access the internet in a separate thread from the exe. A good start to finding out what this is doing (as far as how its going out to the net) may be to check the adobe software against the program component security portion of Norton 360’s firewall.

http://buy.norton.com/estore/mf/prod...Code/20153344/

(I included the link above just for some details about the app)

Comment

It appears as though the current patch re-applies some registry settings in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run. Looks like it puts in for AdobeARM and Reader_SL again if it was previously removed, as I always remove them from starting. It doesn't appear to be running any actual services.
      A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Found the post I was looking for when I was posting in the other active PDF thread

http://www.myitforum.com/articles/1/view.asp?id=5424

This lets you install custom administrative templates to control how acrobat behaves.

Also, funny story: We had to update Acrobat to version 9 because of a requirement by FDLE at one point. When the updater started on Wednesday, it would DDOS the network till we implemented this policy.
        "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

Originally posted by g3k_ View Post
          Found the post I was looking for when I was posting in the other active PDF thread

http://www.myitforum.com/articles/1/view.asp?id=5424

This lets you install custom administrative templates to control how acrobat behaves.

Also, funny story: We had to update Acrobat to version 9 because of a requirement by FDLE at one point. When the updater started on Wednesday, it would DDOS the network till we implemented this policy.
          Just as a note for anyone that may not notice. The ADM files they are giving out there are way old. They're for version 5.0 and 5.1, so you'd probably have to use them as a roadmap to creating your own for the newer versions. Double check registry locations of the policies they're looking to set.

I spent some time last week trying to setup a policy to kill off the Launch() feature but it would never actually show up in Policy Manager. I resorted to creating a registry file that I could force an import via Login script.

If anyone is interested in that, I'll post it.
          A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
            I'm dying for someone to reverse engineer the whole Adobe suite so fully and release open source PDF readers, Flash players, etc... flash for android, hassle-free open document viewing for all O/S platforms, etc. Damn, that would be heaven.
            the pdf spec is open, and open source readers exist. I don't know what's on windows, but I know Linux, for example, has kpdf, among other things.

actually, a quick google gives
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PDF_software
            which contains many GPL'd viewers & editors.

There's also an open-source flash player, but it's crappy (at least, even crappier than adobe's flash)
            It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

Not to say the wrong thing but....
              I welcome Adobe updating their programs proactively. It could use some work, yes. However, it has become the most exploited app after all.
              I've come across times when it's years out of date. Years. That's similar to running an XP SP1 box. I agree there is no reason for a reboot that can't be handled a different way, and that the annoying popup could be handled either automatically or when the program starts(although there are downsides to that as well).
              I do think they need a better plan than what they had been doing in the past relying solely on the users to update their boxes, that just wasn't working.
              I guess they could fix their shit too, but they need an updater that will push those out when they eventually get to it each quarter...
              Where's the dedication?

Comment

Working...
              X