Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Starts to Wardrive

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04...ew_logs_wlans/

Google's roving Street View spycam may blur your face, but it's got your number. The Street View service is under fire in Germany for scanning private WLAN networks, and recording users' unique Mac (Media Access Control) addresses, as the car trundles along.
    I'm sure that Google won't do anything evil with the information. Wouldn't they save time/money by offering to buy the Wigle database for a $Bazillion and overlaying it on their existing data?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Re: Google Starts to Wardrive

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04...ew_logs_wlans/

I'm sure that Google won't do anything evil with the information. Wouldn't they save time/money by offering to buy the Wigle database for a $Bazillion and overlaying it on their existing data?
    It's interesting that they get their nickers in a twist because it's google, the target of the week. I bet those who are complaining are completely unaware of services like Skyhook or openstreetmap, let alone Wigle.

Wait wasn't Germany the ones who outlawed 'Hacking tools' a while back. Now the cranial rectal interface makes sense.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

This little gem has had my attention as of late as well. Sensorly, primarily collects GSM and CDMA signal strength from smart phone users, as well as wifi signal and overlays it on a map. When you view these maps, you don't get any real info out in the wild (save for the wardriver that sees an area full of green splotches.) Probably similar to what big G is doing with the data they collect. However, the last version that I had installed, the default (and therefore most widely used) setting is to upload collected data when connected to wifi, these communications are cleartext and contain info beyond the signal strength at any given GPS coords, including down to the second, the time the info was recorded. Could we be headed to an era of Googling a MAC address to find a physical address? I can't see any point whatsoever in gathering info aside from maybe signal strength on anyone's part, Google, Sensorly, Wigle, anyone.

URL: http://www.sensorly.com/home
      "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Originally posted by sintax_error View Post
        This little gem has had my attention as of late as well. Sensorly, primarily collects GSM and CDMA signal strength from smart phone users, as well as wifi signal and overlays it on a map. When you view these maps, you don't get any real info out in the wild (save for the wardriver that sees an area full of green splotches.) Probably similar to what big G is doing with the data they collect. However, the last version that I had installed, the default (and therefore most widely used) setting is to upload collected data when connected to wifi, these communications are cleartext and contain info beyond the signal strength at any given GPS coords, including down to the second, the time the info was recorded. Could we be headed to an era of Googling a MAC address to find a physical address? I can't see any point whatsoever in gathering info aside from maybe signal strength on anyone's part, Google, Sensorly, Wigle, anyone.

Yeap, very soon there this will be available:

http://www.google.com/stalkanyone
        A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by sintax_error View Post

Interesting, that has some potential uses. No good ones, but potential.

Hopefully they get the Iphone one out soon so the larger market can contribute, though given Apples ass-backwards policy about 'wardriving' apps, it will be interesting to see if they let this through.

Comment

I clicked that link

I think we're going to see more every-day users move into TOR networks, use proxies, etc... There's so much information out there being stored somewhere in big table.

Comment

StalkAnyone (in beta)

Don't wardrving groups do this anyway? I haven't really seen a searchable index though.
              "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

Originally posted by g3k_ View Post
                StalkAnyone (in beta)

Don't wardrving groups do this anyway? I haven't really seen a searchable index though.
                As far as I know we don't really stalk anyone using wardriving data. But I have been known to research a MAC that someone gave on another forum to prove that an idiot was attacking someone else's network.

Comment

As far as I know we don't really stalk anyone using wardriving data. But I have been known to research a MAC that someone gave on another forum to prove that an idiot was attacking someone else's network.
                  I'm stalking you right now, I'm at your front door......the matrix has you Streaker.....knock, knock.

xor
                  Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
                    I'm stalking you right now, I'm at your front door......the matrix has you Streaker.....knock, knock.

xor
                    <switches to channel 92> Nothing on the security cameras.

<enables laser guided auto tracking belt fed shotguns loaded with deer slugs>

Come on in!

Comment

WIGLE is fully searchable.
                      www.WIGLE.net

Damn! I'm out of the top 50 again. I'm going to have to get back out there.

Originally posted by xor View Post

xor
                      Hey, nothing personal, but you are NOT a sexy chick with a white rabbit tattoo.
                      Thorn
                      "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

<switches to channel 92> Nothing on the security cameras.

<enables laser guided auto tracking belt fed shotguns loaded with deer slugs>

Come on in!
                        Oh come on now, hogshot makes a much better home defense round.

StalkAnyone (in beta)

The only indexes I've seen from such groups are not publicly accessible, CYA reasons, or to keep the masses from doing something stupid? Probably a little of column A and a little of column B. These days a KML file plugged into Google earth is all it takes... wait, that's it, big G is behind it!
                        "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
                          WIGLE is fully searchable.
                          www.WIGLE.net

Damn! I'm out of the top 50 again. I'm going to have to get back out there.
                          I am in a battle up the chain with Bobzilla. Currently 15th, should be 14th tomorrow.

I would be curious what their reasoning is for collecting the data. Skyhook-esque location system makes sense, but only if you up date it at a reasonable rate.

Honestly I couldn't give a crap except if they plan to do a "Find Free Internet" overlay in google maps or some crap. That's the last thing we need (or the first if your like me and run evil honeypots on your neighbors)

Comment

Drove through Manhattan yesterday. Though it appears heavily covered already in WiGLE, I found that 75%+ of my collect was new. I suspect that much of this is due to the age of what's already been collected there.
                            "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05...wifi_networks/

Google has said that its world-roving Street View cars have been collecting information sent over open WiFi networks, contradicting previous assurances by the company.

This means that Google may have collected emails and other private information if they traveled over WiFi networks while one of the cars was in range. Previously, the company said no payload data was ever intercepted.
                              Uh oh. I guess this was a complete accident, they didn't mean to do it, and I'm sure they'll purge the data immediately.

I'm so happy that google isn't evil.

Comment

Working...
                              X