X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PGP Acquired By Symantec

http://www.symantec.com/business/theme.jsp?themeid=pg

F'ing Symantec.

Today, two of the most trusted names in security - Symantec and PGP Corporation – announced that we will be joining forces to help customers like you secure and manage your most critical information. PGP Corporation has signed a definitive agreement to be acquired by Symantec and become part of Symantec’s Enterprise Security Group.

My license is about to expire anyway, I guess it couldn't be a better time.

xor
    Last edited by xor; April 29, 2010, 14:27.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Re: PGP Acquired By Symantec

ye of little faith...
    "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by hackajar View Post
      ye of little faith...
      I have faith in Symantec, .... that they could take Hello World, and turn it into a 500MB program, that slows everything but a Cray Supercomputer down to a postal workers crawl. . Then spend millions of dollars to buy industry rags off, so they say how wonderful it is. I have tons of faith :-)

xor
      Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Bah! The "they are boatware that take up all my CPU cycles and HDD space" argument is Sooooo 2006. Not to pimp their products, but things have changed with their consumer offerings in last 4 years for the better.
        "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Well, back to ROT26 encryption

Comment

People still use PGP?
            45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
            45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
            [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by bascule View Post
              People still use PGP?
              i'm assuming that there's something i'm missing (and thus i am missing out on the humor) but what do you use? are you referring to GPG instead? (i use those two terms interchangeably)
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Antivirus is so retro. Hardware that acts as a network SSL VPN and scans entire packets for malicious data activity is where it's at.

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                  i'm assuming that there's something i'm missing (and thus i am missing out on the humor) but what do you use? are you referring to GPG instead? (i use those two terms interchangeably)
                  Yes, gpg, the open source version, as opposed to the commercial version.

However, personally I prefer to do secure communications over OTR.
                  45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                  45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                  [ redacted ]

Comment

Yes, gpg, the open source version, as opposed to the commercial version.
                    ah, gotcha. yes, i use GPG as well.

hey, something that fucking flabbergasted me recently about commercial PGP. did you folk know they have their hooks into RIM so deeply that if you send a BlackBerry user a signed email and they don't have PGP paid for and installed, their BB will not even render that message at all??

my jaw dropped when i heard that.

However, personally I prefer to do secure communications over OTR.
                    yeah, that is a wickedly nice tool. i'd love to see it on the Android platform. anyone know if it's available in a working form yet?
                    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                      ah, gotcha. yes, i use GPG as well.

hey, something that fucking flabbergasted me recently about commercial PGP. did you folk know they have their hooks into RIM so deeply that if you send a BlackBerry user a signed email and they don't have PGP paid for and installed, their BB will not even render that message at all??

my jaw dropped when i heard that.
                      Wait. What? Links, or it didn't happen. Don't make me google for this.

Actually, I went back to earlier versions of PGP ages ago. Every time they come out with a new one, it's less useful, and more crippled. I was shocked to see (when I'd purchased it a couple of years ago) that I had to choose between licensing schemes, neither of which was particularly attractive in terms of my using it long term. Before I ended up doing something accidentally that would keep me from reverting, I removed all copies, and reinstalled 6.0.2 instead.

I'm not surprised at your statement, though. Too bad. I've used PGP since 2.3a days, and I'll probably always prefer it to GPG (no good reason, other than just because). On the other hand, I like my blackberry, and yet am uninterested in receiving email on it.

Comment

Working...
                      X