• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barry99705
    replied
    Re: Do computers keep you awake?

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
    I put two layers of electrical tape over the buttons on my apnea machine, and while it doesn't light up the room anymore, I can still see the lights glowing through the tape. One more reason blue LED's should be outlawed. :)
    I know you know how to use a soldering iron. Replace them with red.

Originally posted by xor View Post
    I live in a one bedroom apartment with computers, routers, 2 noisy Siamese cats(meow, meow, meow) at a 5 points intersection, near 3 hospitals; one a trauma center, with helicopter pad, 2 fire companies, and 1 rescue squad....I sleep just fine, couldn't sleep without them.

xor
    Dude, you could sleep through a mortar attack.

Leave a comment:

• streaker69
    replied

Originally posted by WiK View Post
    I normally do one of the following...

1. electrical tape over the blinking lights.
    2. snip the wires/traces to the leds
    I put two layers of electrical tape over the buttons on my apnea machine, and while it doesn't light up the room anymore, I can still see the lights glowing through the tape. One more reason blue LED's should be outlawed. :)

Leave a comment:

• Sacksquach
    replied

Absolutely i can't sleep Right no matter what is going on with my computer weather its on or off i'm always thinking about it weather its what i'm gonna do on a game or the fact that i'm trying to learn security and programing on it and just cant find enough to read about ever. -.-

Leave a comment:

• Aurora
    replied

Noise doesn't bother me, keep me awake or wake me up... but ANY light really irritates me! I flip my blackberry over so the little red blinky light doesn't bother me when I get new messages. I finally got rid of my old alarm clock because I couldn't dim the LED enough. My teenage kids "trying" to sneak in at all hours of the night is actually what REALLY pisses me off and wakes me up! One day they will realize that the noises they make don't wake me up... it's the LIGHTS they turn on all through the house to stumble their way to their room..... Morons... (CAVEAT: reference to MY teenage kids, no offense to OTHER teenagers who may be reading this) :-)

Leave a comment:

• velderia
    replied

Originally posted by WiK View Post

I should try that actually. I'm cramped up in a small apartment (with parents) and I have no choice but to sleep next to my computer.

Although, I think another thing to worry more about is caffeine. It's hard though. I'm trying to stay away from coffee and rely on tea and I noticed a bit of a difference. Not as wired up and crashing.

Leave a comment:

• goathead
    replied

Occassionally I take to napping on the floor of my office/studio and with the exception of desktop system sounds that were apparent because I didn't turn off speakers, the white noise and occassional raid chatter doesn't bother me. Typically the ambient light doesn't allow for the gear lighting to appear with much contrast so its not distracting, but I imagine that sleeping in that room in the dark would be interesting with all of the random light stimuli.

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied

Originally posted by MissterY View Post
    And yeah, Streaker has a point, it could be worse. I couldn't imagine having to sleep with an apnea mask. I'd probably become an insomniac if I was ordered to wear one at night...
    I didn't like it at first, but it really doesn't take all that long to get used to it; it feels weird to sleep without it on the rare occasion that I do. And even then, I'll pay for it the next day.

Leave a comment:

• WiK
    replied

Leave a comment:

• streaker69
    replied

Originally posted by MissterY View Post
    And yeah, Streaker has a point, it could be worse. I couldn't imagine having to sleep with an apnea mask. I'd probably become an insomniac if I was ordered to wear one at night...
    The one I use wasn't too difficult to get used to, but it's a choice between getting a good nights sleep or falling asleep during the day or the potential of a heart attack at an early age.

Leave a comment:

• MissterY
    replied

Originally posted by Ne0nRa1n View Post
    I find it almost impossible to sleep if there is any light on in the room. I can't sleep without having a blind fold on.

(Insert your own 'the joke writes itself' statement here.)
    I found it harder to try and sleep with too much light than adapting to sleeping with a blindfold. Before I bought a real blind fold, I'd simply drape a dark shirt over my eyes. However it wouldn't toss and turn with me, so it was actually more convenient to adapt to a blind fold that would stay in place when I moved.

Leave a comment:

• sintax_error
    replied

Originally posted by Ne0nRa1n View Post
    I find it almost impossible to sleep if there is any light on in the room. I can't sleep without having a blind fold on.

Like I said before, I'm fine with light and noise, but what does keep me up, environmentally, is temperature. If it's too hot, I'm tossing and turning all damn night, if it's too cold, my mind tends to stay awake despite my body's protest. Those sharing a room with me however state that regardless of light and temperature conditions, it's me that keeps them awake, as I apparently snore like a chainsaw for the few hours a night I actually do sleep.

Leave a comment:

• Ne0nRa1n
    replied

Leave a comment:

• theprez98
    replied
    Re: Do computers keep you awak?

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
    If you think a blindfold is bad, try a apnea mask. I'm just glad that I don't have to use the alien face hugger mask with my machine.
    My daughter thinks I'm Darth Vader.

Leave a comment:

• streaker69
    replied

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    heh... while they might be fun for some things in bed, i can't imagine trying to sleep with something secured over my face like that.
    If you think a blindfold is bad, try a apnea mask. I'm just glad that I don't have to use the alien face hugger mask with my machine.

Leave a comment:

• vertex@Symphony
    replied

as far as sleeping versus waking due to computers, i've never had the problem that others have. small LEDs etc do not disturb me at all, and the white noise of cooling fans is more comforting to me than pure silence, actually.
    Awww, yup, it's the same here ....
    The funny thing is that the fan/LEDs of the computer plus modem/router doesn't bother me at all (in fact, absolute silence does bother me) , but I do NEED coffe or tea before going to bed, or I won't sleep ... humhh, about the blind folds ... same situation as Deviant Ollam, they do no good here =/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X