No announcement yet.

2600 meetings vs. all others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea, we can have monthly meets to tide us over until the next annual Defcon event. That would make it easier for us to get through the other 11 months, 3 weeks and 4 days. We would have mini-meets where ever we need to, I guess they could be called thread-cons. :D

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
      we can have monthly meets
      It would be cool if some groups got big enough to have challenges with other groups... here is a bad analogy, like a bowling league.. only not. Hey I am getting Beat Street flashbacks.. someone hit the power button quick!

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave

It would be cool if some groups got big enough to have challenges with other groups... here is a bad analogy, like a bowling league.. only not. Hey I am getting Beat Street flashbacks.. someone hit the power button quick!
        Naw. Inevitably, it always turns into some sort of stupid war. There's a lot of historical precedent for this. See: the current H2K2/Defcon crap that nobody understands.

Comment

Well the tree can branch. If script kiddies start to ruin the fun, Blackwave and myself will just take a walk and start fresh elsewhere.

I like the possibility of events too, and I understand your bowling league analogy as you meant it. Good idea.

Comment

A couple of interesting articles on securityfocus kind of along the lines of what we are talkin bout.

Here and Here.

It's kind of pathetic really... seems some have lost focus on reality.

Here's an excerpt...

"As in years past, the bi-annual gathering (H2K2) at the gloomy Hotel Pennsylvania provided hackers with an anti-establishment alternative to the bigger, brighter and more commercial DefCon convention that takes place in Las Vegas later in the summer.":p :p
            Last edited by Verruckt; July 16, 2002, 13:56.

Comment

2600 has made themself a name. Congradulations. However I do not feel 2600 is the information repository for a hacker to gain knowledge from. Its a cool read because its hacker oriented and many many people start off from it just from picking up a magazine. The meetings however I have been to quite a few locations and we see whats wrong with all of them. I have found out that the 2600 meetings are not the only only hackers in your town. Many people wont associate with the title just by itself.

I met more hackers/technical geeks at the Slashdot meeting in OC than I did at the 2600 meetings. It goes to show the people are out there :) You can learn a lot from anyone. Hopefully a few people will catch grifters speech on Meetings at this years con and learn how to do it right.

I run a few meetings with the local hackers in two cities, not 2600 specific they are dubbed as IrvineUnderground and NevadaUnderground - Things are working out well :)

I suggest going to 2600 meetings in yer area if theres not a IVU or NVU meeting there, and even if there is still goto em both.

Comment

Working...
              X