• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deviant Ollam
    replied
    Re: Safecracking Contest

Originally posted by Schuyler View Post
    Cruciform should be easy to pick as they have notoriously little variation in the pins & if datagram is right & it's direct-drive we should be able to crack this bastage. I say you save it for DefCon as I'll be surprised if they can't open it at HOPE.
    so be it... i'll bring it up to New York, but only so we can drop it in Nuclear Steve's truck for the drive out west.

Leave a comment:

• Schuyler
    replied

Cruciform should be easy to pick as they have notoriously little variation in the pins & if datagram is right & it's direct-drive we should be able to crack this bastage. I say you save it for DefCon as I'll be surprised if they can't open it at HOPE.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by 15289577 View Post
    Dev, I should be able to transport said safe across the country. I will be driving to both hope and defcon.
    you rule. i really didn't wanna ship this thing.

Leave a comment:

replied

Dev, I should be able to transport said safe across the country. I will be driving to both hope and defcon.

Leave a comment:

• datagram
    replied

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    i hope so, too. heh, it's the one thing i'll have to ship since i can't open it up for inspection when we fly.

as far as i can tell, yes. here are some photos.
    Yeah, definitely a cruciform lock...I wonder how many pins? I'm guessing this is like their other double lock models where the cruciform cam interfaces to a direct drive combo lock. Should be easy to open and decode if the cruciform is easy to pick.

dg

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by datagram View Post
    I sure hope this makes it to Defcon : )
    i hope so, too. heh, it's the one thing i'll have to ship since i can't open it up for inspection when we fly.

Originally posted by datagram View Post
    Dev, are you saying it has a combo lock and a cruciform lock
    as far as i can tell, yes. here are some photos.

Leave a comment:

• datagram
    replied

I sure hope this makes it to Defcon : )

Dev, are you saying it has a combo lock and a cruciform lock (like the Papaiz locks)? All the safes on Sentry's website that used two locks were either tubular or lever as the secondary, so I'm real curious to find out what model this safe is.

(Note: Admittedly, I did not look very hard on Sentry's website.)

dg

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied

Originally posted by LosT View Post
    Actually Deviant's safe is the mystery box this year. Have fun!

;)
    Part of me actually wants to believe that....

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied

Actually Deviant's safe is the mystery box this year. Have fun!

;)

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied

The universe works in funny ways.

Got a call today from my Mother who was helping out at a garage sale. They had a safe for sale but someone put the combination inside it and locked it, no one knows the combination to get it open. It's not worth a pro to come out since they would just cut it open anyways and the safe is'nt worth that much money.

Long story short, if I open it in a week, I get it free, if not, it's $50 for a decent little safe.

I sense lots of evenings on the floor watching movies while dialing this thing.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
    I would surmise that you want this to be via skilled, non-destructive (i.e.undoing the lock a la Jimmy Valentine) methods?
    yeah, hah... that was my intention.

Originally posted by renderman View Post
    Is it possible to know ahead of time the make/model of the safe, or even a pic of it?
    well... there's a photo of it in my book that's coming out in about a month. (i won't link to it as a possible rule violation... but if you do an amazon search for my nick you should be able to find it)

beyond that, i am happy to say that it has both a conventional safe dial as well as a cross lock on the front. i do not believe that they are two independent routes of access... they are a dual-custody system (i think) which is pretty cool.

i'll try to grab the model number the next time i'm in the TOOOL headquarters (that is to say, our garage)

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
    You've already achieved godlike status when you cracked that safe live at Shmoocon.
    that was a fun talk.

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
    What's the fun in that? You've already achieved godlike status when you cracked that safe live at Shmoocon. Doing research ahead of time in your case would be akin to cheating. :)
    All true, all true.

However those cheap fire safes at Costco are usually so bad that normal techniques won't work. Need to brush up. I need a new safe anyways, so if I can write it off as research, all the better.

Leave a comment:

• streaker69
    replied

Originally posted by renderman View Post
    Glad my reputation is still standing with regards to my interpretation of rules :)

Is it possible to know ahead of time the make/model of the safe, or even a pic of it?

I would like to know what I'm getting into ahead of time.

What's the fun in that? You've already achieved godlike status when you cracked that safe live at Shmoocon. Doing research ahead of time in your case would be akin to cheating. :)

Leave a comment:

• renderman
    replied

Glad my reputation is still standing with regards to my interpretation of rules :)

I would like to know what I'm getting into ahead of time.

Leave a comment:

• Thorn
    replied

For clarity sake, and knowing how some people <cough> renderman <cough> are about "if it isn't stated in the rules that it's fair game..." I would surmise that you want this to be via skilled, non-destructive (i.e.undoing the lock a la Jimmy Valentine) methods?

After all, most small Sentry fire safes can be peeled in under ten minutes with a hammer and a cold chisel, but the skill set is much lower. Even though it might still be described as "safe cracking"; just with extra emphasis on "cracking."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X