• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FirmWarez
    replied
    Re: DEFCON Shoot Sign-Up Thread

Originally posted by noid View Post
    Nice to see someone else will be bringing NFA goodies too. SBR so I'm assuming semi only?
    Yeah, semis only. I sold my subgun when I was in grad school, and haven't replaced it yet.

Two SBRs -- my full size Uzi (we've got a Mini Uzi SBR too but that's my wife's and she won't be in Vegas until Friday), a Vz61 Skorpion; a can for the Uzi (Mossad II) and a DD.

I'm open to letting people shoot the Skorpion, but bring .32 ACP, and wear a hat.

Oh yeah man, Charles Bronson's got my paperwork.

Leave a comment:

• sintax_error
    replied

Originally posted by FirmWarez View Post
    Eyes and ears. Gun folks will show up with protection like it's Saturday night; but we may not have enough to go round. If you've got your own eye and ear protection, please bring it. It'd suck to come all the way to Vegas and the DC shoot and go deaf or not be able to be on the line because there aren't enough $2 sets of ear plugs to go around. Maybe some wonderful soul could hit harbor freight and bring extras? Remember, sometimes the only thing a western savage understands are whiskey, rifles, and unarmed men -- like you. Eyes and ears. Be safe. I've been hit with plenty of shrapnel shooting in matches. Kind of hard to hack code with one eye...
    This is actually a really good point to bring up. If you aren't going to be bringing your own steel, bringing your own safety gear is a very smart thing to do. If you don't already own eyes and ears, it would be a wise idea to invest ~$20 in some ANSI rated safety glasses and earplugs. And also keep in mind that when some of the larger hardware goes off, cheapo 15ยข plugs may not be enough, especially if you aren't used to having firearms go off in your immediate surroundings (yeah, a 7mm Rem Mag going off 4 feet from your head sucks with just plugs). If you don't have your own, it might be a good idea to post and see if someone is willing to bring extras.

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied

Originally posted by FirmWarez View Post
    I'll be cool teaching people to shoot my SBR Uzi; quality ammo only when the can is on, when the can is off Uzi will eat anything, even that Paki 2Z stuff.
    Nice to see someone else will be bringing NFA goodies too. SBR so I'm assuming semi only?

Leave a comment:

• FirmWarez
    replied

Originally posted by astcell View Post
    Canadians can pay for ammo in beaver.
    Fiksdit for ya.

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
    ... if someone wants to set up shop and do that they have my blessing. hell, next year i might even create a little operation just like that in order to help fund the shoot itself.
    I attend a subgun match every year. Since a lot of people fly in, the guys who run the shoot arrange a group buy on ammo. Good price on ammo, helps fund the event. Just a "next year" thought for you.

Some thoughts for all the n00bs/non gun folks:

Ask questions. This stuff ain't a game, us experienced shootists want you to learn and be safe. Introduce yourself, say "I'm new and want to learn", and I'm sure plenty of folks will step up to help. Be safe.

Eyes and ears. Gun folks will show up with protection like it's Saturday night; but we may not have enough to go round. If you've got your own eye and ear protection, please bring it. It'd suck to come all the way to Vegas and the DC shoot and go deaf or not be able to be on the line because there aren't enough $2 sets of ear plugs to go around. Maybe some wonderful soul could hit harbor freight and bring extras? Remember, sometimes the only thing a western savage understands are whiskey, rifles, and unarmed men -- like you. Eyes and ears. Be safe. I've been hit with plenty of shrapnel shooting in matches. Kind of hard to hack code with one eye...

Malfs -- if you experience a malf, keep the muzzle DOWN RANGE and get the owner's (or some other experienced shooter's) attention. It happens. Every year at the match I go to (lots of NFA stuff) we have a major malf (ever seen an AR bolt with the locking lugs blown off or an open-bolt subgun that's fired out of battery?). Minor malf -- muzzle down range. Major malf -- muzzle down range and you're glad you've got eyes and ears. Be safe.

Public Stuff

I'll have a tool box with some AR specialty tools and cleaning stuff available; if you need a tool find me and I'll help if I can.

I've pretty much decided to bring my Browning. Sounds like there will be a lot of 7.62 around; the Browning will be available for semi-public shooting (only under my supervision -- that is when I'm not shooting something else) but you've got to link your own ammo (unless you meet the criteria of my rules posted earlier). It's only a semi, but belt-fed still rocks.

I'll be cool teaching people to shoot my SBR Uzi; quality ammo only when the can is on, when the can is off Uzi will eat anything, even that Paki 2Z stuff.

If time and conditions permit and other folks are bringing cans, it'd be fun to do a suppressor demo.

Sorry for rambling on, it's Deviant's game and I hope I'm not over stepping for a first timer at the DC shoot...

-FW

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied

Crap - count me in - Im going for sure this year. If anyone needs a ride, Ill have a car with I assume 3 extra seats.

Guns - Prob just a 9MM
    Transportation - X+
    Shirt(s) - size == XXXL (I know, but I had to ask - and yes $ 20-$30 is fine)

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    as i posted in a new thread, we have closed the shirt order now. there are already some folk who weren't part of the main order and i'll be trying to do a small extra run with my shirt guy when i talk to him later today. for now, however, consider the shirts pretty done. (drifter, you are the last one on the list... part of the "we'll see what we can do" order)

we can still use this thread here for additional sign-ups, just so we know who is coming and how we're looking as far as rides are concerned, etc.

see you all in the desert.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

as i posted in a new thread, we have closed the shirt order now. there are already some folk who weren't part of the main order and i'll be trying to do a small extra run with my shirt guy when i talk to him later today. for now, however, consider the shirts pretty done. (drifter, you are the last one on the list... part of the "we'll see what we can do" order)

we can still use this thread here for additional sign-ups, just so we know who is coming and how we're looking as far as rides are concerned, etc.

see you all in the desert.

Leave a comment:

• drifter
    replied

Guns: [X]
    - AR-15 (will be un-california-ized upon arrival)
    - 12 Gauge Ithaca 37 Featherweight

Transportation: [X] --> hackbus

Shirt: [X]
    - Size: XL

sorry for the late shirt request, I will pay 20 if needed and if it cant happen, no worries.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

two points...

unarmed-people - it seems that we've had a last minute influx of people who are not bringing their own guns to DEFCON. as always, the shooting community is welcome to non-shooters and new shooters (or even just fellow full citizens who aren't carrying anything at the time) but we will have to put some policies in place to keep things from getting to out of hand with logistics.

so... i will say this: those who are coming without firearms must try to coordinate their affairs by reading this thread and other threads in advance of the con, just so they know who has public guns.

also, those who are bringing guns and setting up on the firing line... this year we'll try to split the space a little bit... last time the seasoned veterans set up further on the left (as you face downrange) while newer people, those learning, and those sharing were more to the right. i plan on setting up the firing line in such a fashion this time, but clearly divided... on the right will be guns that are more or less public (of course, you have to introduce yourself to the owner first and ask, etc etc etc) and further to the left is the "private" range where people will only be shooting their own guns or coordinating with close friends, etc.

ammo - i'm willing to bet that someone would be able to be very successful (and no one would hold it against you) if they wanted to run a little "ammo stand" at the shoot. just have a few hundred rounds of popular calibers in pre-packed sets of ten or something and sold for nice, round numbers of dollars. my suggestions...

.45 - can buy for less than $0.50 per round, sell a ten-pack for $5
    9mm - can buy for less than $0.40 per round, sell a ten-pack for $5
    5.56 NATO - can easily buy for $0.50 per round, sell a ten-pack for $10
    7.62 NATO - can easily buy for $0.65 per round, sell a ten-pack for $10
    7.62 Soviet - can buy for $0.35 per round, sell a ten-pack for $10 or $5
    .22 LR - fuck... just re-sell 20-round boxes of it for $5 because if someone really can't trouble themselves to bring .22 ammo somewhere they deserve to pay a bit more, hah.

... if someone wants to set up shop and do that they have my blessing. hell, next year i might even create a little operation just like that in order to help fund the shoot itself. (not like we have much overhead, but still... covering some things like cold drinks, targets, etc... might be nice to turn this into a proper operation one day since it seems popular)

Leave a comment:

• hexjunkie
    replied

Originally posted by Kyord View Post
    I don't have a comprehensive list of what people are bringing or willing to share, but I guess it would depend on what fire arm I'm feeding.

What are people sharing?

I'm willing to buy/share ammo for rifle time, etc.
    Ohh this just got somewhat complicated... I honestly have no idea what people got except what is posted here. What they are sharing I cannot say because that is their call.

Hmm I would say what is your favorite type of gun... Pick that and a backup caliber and you should be good. It would appear people are bringing everything from .22 to .45acp in handgun and up to 308 in rifle... Looks like only 12ga in shotgun though.

Leave a comment:

• Kyord
    replied

Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
    Is there a list of ammo that you would like?

I get in on Tuesday and have all day Wednesday to wander around vegas. (I wanted to experience vegas independently of the con for a change.
    I don't have a comprehensive list of what people are bringing or willing to share, but I guess it would depend on what fire arm I'm feeding.

What are people sharing?

I'm willing to buy/share ammo for rifle time, etc.

Leave a comment:

• hexjunkie
    replied

Originally posted by Kyord View Post
    Just confirming my attendance + 1
    [_] [+] and already on the list for M shirt.

If anyone needs a ride or cargo room, we have the back seat and the trunk available for up to 2 people + stuff.

Because my flight isn't landing until late Wednesday, I'm hoping to get some ammo from someone if they're able to buy it prior to the shoot. Will have cash on hand of course :)
    Is there a list of ammo that you would like?

I get in on Tuesday and have all day Wednesday to wander around vegas. (I wanted to expierence vegas independantly of the con for a change.

Leave a comment:

• Kyord
    replied

Just confirming my attendance + 1
    [_] [+] and already on the list for M shirt.

If anyone needs a ride or cargo room, we have the back seat and the trunk available for up to 2 people + stuff.

Because my flight isn't landing until late Wednesday, I'm hoping to get some ammo from someone if they're able to buy it prior to the shoot. Will have cash on hand of course :)

Leave a comment:

• Mcgruff
    replied

As of now we are 90% sure we are going to be there with 2 people and we should have space for one more person . If you need a ride just msg me here or on IRC. I don't plan on bringing anything special, Just a 91/30, m44, hi point 9mm carbine and maybe a handgun or two.
    I doubt anyone will want to shoot our guns but if they do they are more than welcome to. Just pay for whatever ammo you use. We wont require shirts but are super excited to be able to finally make a shoot after all these years!

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

Canadians can pay for ammo in beaver pelts.

Leave a comment:

• warelock
    replied

Guns: 9mm Glock 17 pistol
    Transportation - I have a ride with no room to spare
    Shirt(s) - size: One shirt, XL (I hope I'm not too late to request a shirt)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X