This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida area v2

Same message as last year: I'm looking for someone who is driving from the Florida area (or perhaps Georgia) and has room for one more. I know a lot of people said they flew last year and if I act now I could get tickets cheap, etc, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible!
    "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Re: Florida area v2

Originally posted by g3k_ View Post
    Same message as last year: I'm looking for someone who is driving from the Florida area (or perhaps Georgia) and has room for one more. I know a lot of people said they flew last year and if I act now I could get tickets cheap, etc, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible!
    Driving across the county to DefCon may sound fun, but remember that there's also the ride back. You should also run the numbers as it may actually be cheaper to fly.

Even if you were driving from Pensacola, to Las Vegas, that's like 1,900 miles. So when are you looking to leave? What date are you planning on being back? Are you willing to dedicate two to three days to driving (driving like 12 hours a day?). Do you have a job to contend with? How much time can you take off? And if you decide to drive straight through to DefCon will you be able to actually have fun or will you just be wiped out?

I'm not telling you that you shouldn't do, just giving my advice as someone who drove 2,500(ish) miles to DefCon before.
    And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Thanks. I took most of that into consideration, but it looks like I'm flying anyway, got a friend to give me a buddy pass for his airline.
      "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

can someone help me find ride and room share

Comment

ill pay for all gas and most of hotell just to be there at defcon -someone please help me

Comment

is there anyone in florida who is driving?also where can i find a dcgroup for florida?is there a list of florida groups somewhere,im trying to find a group i can join and share similar ideas,im in st petersburg florida does anyone know anyone to contact there or is there anyone in clearwater or largo or tampa florida that has a dc group i can join?thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by mindwarp View Post
              is there anyone in florida who is driving?also where can i find a dcgroup for florida?is there a list of florida groups somewhere,im trying to find a group i can join and share similar ideas,im in st petersburg florida does anyone know anyone to contact there or is there anyone in clearwater or largo or tampa florida that has a dc group i can join?thanks in advance
              Have you checked this thread:
              https://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=1426

You might find a group or two.

Comment

Originally posted by mindwarp View Post

Here's the list of DC Groups, though the activity of many of them are circumspect :
                http://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-gr...ups-index.html

If you're really looking to goto DefCon and willing to pay gas and food, that's a nice chunk of change, so have you thought about flying? I'm sure you may be able to find a good deal on a flight. Getting a room to crash in should be easier than finding a Ride from Florida.
                And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Just FYI, but the DC groups list is incredibly out of date. I talked to a couple of the goons/staff and apparently it hasn't been actively updated in awhile. I think I made contact with this person offline so he should be good. If anyone else in Central Florida is looking for the group, hit up DC407.com for info on our DCG.

Comment

abyssknight;
                    thank you for your help you are awesome-

Comment

Working...
                    X