X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rental Cars in LV

Hey Guys,

So, This is my first trip to Defcon and I am in need of some guidance, sorry if this is in the wrong area. But I am staying at the Aria, would you recommend renting a car to avoid the wicked long walk to the Riv every day? Are there alternative transportation possibilities?

Re: Rental Cars in LV

Originally posted by Gillis57 View Post
    Hey Guys,

So, This is my first trip to Defcon and I am in need of some guidance, sorry if this is in the wrong area. But I am staying at the Aria, would you recommend renting a car to avoid the wicked long walk to the Riv every day? Are there alternative transportation possibilities?
    There is a bus that runs the strip (The Deuce) and it is regular enough and cheap enough to be relied-upon as transportation. If you are in a hotel other than the Riv, and not on the strip and you know other people, split a cab fare and ride together.

Personally though, I like to rent a car or van when I go to Las Vegas:

* Grocery store runs can be made whenever I want.
    * I go to and leave the airport when I want.
    * I can attend other shows in Las Vegas, and visit other shops, or shooting ranges, or museums/attractions as an interest hits me. (e.g. Atomic Testing Museum, locksmith supply shop, Red Rock Park, electronics shops)
    * Off-site Defcon events are easy to visit (SushiCon, Toxic BBQ, Defcon Shoot)

I tend to arrive on the Tuesday before con, and use Tuesday and part of Wednesday to see the other Las Vegas attractions. Once the con starts, I don't drive anywhere very often, but usually once a day for grocery store runs for food. (That's where I usually get my Guinness.)

However, I prefer to stay at the Riv. Getting a parking spot during Defcon if you are at another hotel pretty much sucks. You have to arrive early every morning to get a "good" spot, and if you ever leave during the day with hopes to come back, you may end up having to walk a full Las Vegas City Block to get to the con.

Comment

Hey Guys,

If you do get a rental car I would recommend that you get the ungodly over-priced insurance policy. Vegas is one of the worst places in getting insurance- 24 hour drinking can do that to a city. High amount of claims filed every year.

I lived in Vegas for a year and my policy doubled from my East Coast rate. No tickets and zero accidents. Ya, I got prisoned love on that policy.

Comment

Is it too late to change your hotel reservation? In my experience with conventions/conferences, staying away from the event site is a huge inconvenience and very much not worth any savings you might get. Also, you'd make up for any extra cost by not needing to rent a car if you stay at the event site.

If you're worried about grocery store runs and such, there is a Walgreens fairly close to the riv. They have enough of a selection of food to survive the weekend.

One other thing to check on the insurance issue is if your current auto insurance has rental coverage. There may also be some coverage offered by your credit card company if you use their card for the rental.
        Coffee is a lost art, best not left to Starbucks.
        I brew the beer I drink.

Comment

If your unable to change your hotel then call your insurance company and ask for additional coverage for a rental.

If you have a AMEX card, you can buy AMEX primary https://www152.americanexpress.com/p...pcrpmonitoring rental insurace for $25

* One flat price of $24.95 per rental period, not per day ($17.95 for California Residents).
          * Coverage is primary. You won't have to file a claim with your personal insurance company and risk having your premiums increase.
          * There are no deductibles.
          * There is no cost to enroll and you will only be billed a premium when you use your enrolled Card to rent a car until your enrollment is terminated.

Comment

Hey Guys,

So I'm gonna just say driving on the strip SUCKS. Get a car cause you can go lots of off-strip places for food, drink and fun and save some $$ off of strip prices. But seriously, from the Aria I'd be doing the $10 cab fare each ride to/from the Riv. If you're not running back and forth each day and the $$ isn't a problem sure is a stress reliever sitting in the back of a cab and letting them shuttle.

Better yet, after the first day, you'll probably meet someone there that can either 'split cab fare' or give you a ride to the south end of the strip which is where the Aria is. Good Luck :)

Comment

I am driving to Defcon and any time I am going out of the hotel in my car I can offer the extra seats to others going the same way. I'm sure most folks feel the same way.

Comment

Unfortunately somebody rented up all the exotics, last resort Viper rt/10...hmm

Comment

Working...
                X