DEFCON 18 -- Good v. Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DEFCON 18 -- Good v. Bad

Back after my usual week of decompression and 'That was'nt on fire when I left'

Good:

- Lost's mystery challenge despite the USPS screwing him over. Fun as always
    - Seeing everyone from my disturbd extended family who was in attendance
    - No major AV failures during my talk
    - Paid some debts, collected some debts both physical, financial and alcohol
    - Got to see the UAV in flight
    - My Iphone survived
    - My coat did'nt tase me with high voltage
    - Our Mystery challenge newbie was damn useful and on his way to being a friend.
    - Hacked gringo warrior on a whim with Sintax_error's assistance

Bad:

- The usual stuff already mentioned
    - Never enough time to just hang out and chill with friends in a semi-quiet area. Being double or triple booked sucks.
    - Internet access in the contest area freaking out regularly during the mystery challenge when we needed it most
    - Broke a solder joint on my coat
    - Mouse was not in attendance
    - Iphone took a 400 foot freefall in the UAV leading to moments of extreme puckering
    - Sintax_Error's situation on sunday, ask him for details

In general, the con had a very different vibe than in the past. Alot of newbies around which I think added to a shift inmaturity since many don't know about the past we all aspire to.

Did some scouting at the RIO on Monday and initial impressions are that the talks portion will be WIN due to space, hallways, etc. The relaunch of DCTV will be a welcome relief. Food will be interesting as we are off strip and most of the restaurants in the hotel are expensive.

Parties and general hanging out will continue to be a problem unless we can keep the pool open till the wee hours or find a way to throw open the doors on a lounge somewhere.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Good:
      Briefings

Bad:
      Lines, method of crowd control
      Process for buying DEFCON SWAG. Did you spend the past year trying to come up with the slowest, least efficient way to sell this stuff? If so, you succeeded.

Comment

Good

- I wasn't speaking this year so much more relaxed!
        - The Rio move announcement, should fix a couple of my "bads"
        - Met a lot of cool people
        - Found out I enjoy trying to pick locks
        - This years badge was a lot cooler than last years
        - Line/crowd management seemed to be a lot better than last year

Bad

- I wasn't speaking this year!
        - Lines being so long and slow/not moving
        - Rooms for briefings not being big enough
        - Didn't meet everyone I wanted to meet

Comment

Originally posted by Samurai Infidel View Post
          Process for buying DEFCON SWAG. Did you spend the past year trying to come up with the slowest, least efficient way to sell this stuff? If so, you succeeded.

That was the same process of last year and it was ok, but this time they add tons of hack badge kits which made it slow, also new items which they couldn't hang them so everyone can see.

They just need a bigger display to put stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by SkYzOpReNiCk View Post
            That was the same process of last year and it was ok, but this time they add tons of hack badge kits which made it slow, also new items which they couldn't hang them so everyone can see.

They just need a bigger display to put stuff.
            Next year should be an improvement.
            Looking at the convention space at the Rio, there are several areas that Swag can set up that appears to be bigger than it was at the Riv.
            “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

Vendors area - it would be better if it was open say one hour before the talks begin so we could check out the vendors without missing any of the first talks.
              “I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.”

Comment

Working...
              X