Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Credit

Originally posted by esrever View Post
    I had a lot of fun doing this. One of the few contests that really interest me, and doesn't require contestants to devote the entire con to.

kive and org. crew --
    Looking forward to see what you guys come up with for those bags gave you
    Also, any word on like a mailing list or something? Don't know what the activity on the forums is like, but I can say that I'm really not prone to keeping up outside of the weeks before and after DC, so a mailing list sounds like a great idea to me :-p

jk / datagram --
    Didn't run into ya later in the con to get some of those seals from ya.
    Still interested in setting up the trade dealio? Brilliant idea we should actually follow through with.

Total fucking success with this contest.
    Hey there, I brought a goody bag for you guys to the closing ceremony but couldn't find you. Someone said you guys had left, it was probably you and I just forgot :-P If you PM me your address, I'll send it off.

Comment

Originally posted by WiK View Post
      Kiv,

You did mention us twice (if i remember correctly). I just think the team captain (hexjunkie) wanted to give me personally the credit for this particular hack. Perhaps because I've never seen the lock before and within two seconds of looking at it for the very first time (after just arriving to the room) I was able to deduce, then open the lock successfully before they were able to finish trying to tell me about it.

It felt good to see it in closing, and hear everyone cheer. That was a great con moment for me. Thanks
      That is correct, our team name was mentioned, I think my largest concern was that when you showed the video it was something along the lines of
      "here are our winners" then with a moment pause, " lets see a demo of one of these so called tamper resistant locks being broken" so when that happened it seemed like the winning team was responsable. The order just seemed to give credit in the wrong direction and I wanted to give a quick mention to what was up. I was not upset/angry/distraught/sad/ or any other emotion really. I just wanted to give credit to the correct people.

Perhaps that was my perspective.

I also wanted to give credit to Wik for one of the most elegant hacks that I have seen in recent times. I just enjoy giving credit where credit is due.

It was close this year and the learning curve was steep.

Congrats to all the teams for signing up and attempting anything in this challenge. I wasn't sure what to expect but I believe that anyone who attempted gets massive props. This year was dificult, and next year will be even more fun. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

I'll see you at the pick up booth next year guys.

Also any word about the team size limit for next year? I'd really like to keep the team we had this year if at all possiable. 4 worked very well.
      Originally posted by Ellen
      Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

Comment

Big thanks to all the organizers and other teams. We prepared quite a bit and we're glad it paid off in the end. We could have done much better; basically ruined all the small adhesive seals. We plan to be back next year better than ever, and hope to see all you guys again :)

To the other teams: what was your defeat against the plastic ring or the metal ball?

Originally posted by esrever View Post
        jk / datagram --
        Didn't run into ya later in the con to get some of those seals from ya.
        Still interested in setting up the trade dealio? Brilliant idea we should actually follow through with.
        Have valanx email me his shipping address!

dg

Comment

Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
          That is correct, our team name was mentioned, I think my largest concern was that when you showed the video it was something along the lines of
          "here are our winners" then with a moment pause, " lets see a demo of one of these so called tamper resistant locks being broken" so when that happened it seemed like the winning team was responsable. The order just seemed to give credit in the wrong direction and I wanted to give a quick mention to what was up. I was not upset/angry/distraught/sad/ or any other emotion really. I just wanted to give credit to the correct people.
          That's fair, and I appreciate it -- I'm all about giving props to the right folks where it's due -- things were pretty rushed at that point in the ceremony, so I can definitely see what you're describing. Sorry for the confusion -- I'll try to make sure that we're crystal clear about which folks were involved with which videos in the future, as I suspect we'll be having more of those. :)

Also any word about the team size limit for next year? I'd really like to keep the team we had this year if at all possiable. 4 worked very well.
          I'm not sure what the minimum/maximum will be next year just yet, but we'll try to not linger on the details for too long -- we want you guys to be able to make your teams and do your prep work, after all. :) We had turn-ins come back from teams varying in size between 2 and 7, I think, and most were 3-4 -- it seems like that might be the sweet spot, but I haven't heard DT mention a specific number at this point -- just that we'll definitely be defining a team size.

-kive

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkTangent
            ...Next year the teams will be restricted to a max size of three...
            This is just pulled from a post though, so I would assume there's a possibility it will change.

Comment

Haha, he just doesn't want to be the secretary next year.

Several seals required two people to work on, one holding a heat gun, one removing or one holding and one working. With someone on documentation (better to do it as you work rather than try and remember everything afterwards), that's three people. But sometimes there is a talk to see. Sometimes there are several seals available to work on. Sometimes someone needs to be somewhere else. Four people would allow a little more flexibility for the team.

Mel
              Secretary

Comment

Originally posted by Melesse View Post
                Haha, he just doesn't want to be the secretary next year.

Several seals required two people to work on, one holding a heat gun, one removing or one holding and one working. With someone on documentation (better to do it as you work rather than try and remember everything afterwards), that's three people. But sometimes there is a talk to see. Sometimes there are several seals available to work on. Sometimes someone needs to be somewhere else. Four people would allow a little more flexibility for the team.

Mel
                I completely agree here; 4 people on a team worked very well. The documentation is what really gets ya; especially constantly taking photos/video during defeats. Hopefully, the write-ups will get faster when we transition to a web-based system (that was the word anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by jkthecjer View Post
                  I completely agree here; 4 people on a team worked very well. The documentation is what really gets ya; especially constantly taking photos/video during defeats. Hopefully, the write-ups will get faster when we transition to a web-based system (that was the word anyway).
                  DT and I were both tentatively agreed on having a system in place next year where folks can submit pics and video and the like online. You folks saw the huge level of applause when we showed Team Hactar's use of the hard drive magnets -- we want more of that. Likewise, it isn't our intention to surround folks with unnecessary paperwork. Documentation, yes -- crazy levels of redundant paperwork, no.

You're still going to have to show us how you perform your defeats. Likewise, it's my hope that next year we have 3-4 videos to show, not just one.

I appreciate the feedback. :)

-kive

Comment

Working...
                  X