• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kallahar
    replied
    Re: Selling Ninja Badge - LAME

http://ninjas.org/badges/index.html

Also look for a local DCxxx group, odds are you can ask someone there to bring theirs for you to look at or borrow. Note that the badge isn't as fun in single player mode.

Leave a comment:

• Sargeras
    replied

I was hoping to acquire a ninja badge, but it seems you have scared everyone off. While I understand that you love your ninja badges (part of the reason I am interested in one) and hate to see a price put on it, wouldn't you rather the person be relieved of their badge for a quick buck, and the badge go to someone who would appreciate it?

My desire to acquire a badge is from a games design point-of-view. I am currently studying games technology and wanted to get one for my thesis supervisor, who lectures in games design, and would consider the device (and the effect it has obviously had on you) important to his area of expertise. We would both be interested in examining a device which has clearly immersed a group of serious adults (as well as seeing something this cool for ourselves).

Unfortunately, I am a student and (relatively) poor. Decreasing the supply of something while maintaining (or possibly even increasing) demand for an item drove the price of the remaining auctions through the roof. Attach the word "charity" to the auctions, and people like me are left for dead.

So what does someone like me do?

Leave a comment:

• wizardai
    replied

my buddy who I went with just sent me the link to ebay about an hour ago because he knew how i wanted a ninja badge! but even then, I wouldn't buy it because that's not the way to go about it. But it's not surprising, sometimes $ talks right?

Leave a comment:

• kive
    replied

Originally posted by barkode View Post
    I reached out to both the individuals behind those two auctions, and they've been removed voluntarily. No problem there.

What does interest me however, is that a new guy is selling two Ninja badges (one used, one unused) as well as an unopened press badge and a used goon badge. Not a common combination of things to have...

I've identified the person in question and I'm reaching out to senior staff to see if he was a goon. I don't recognize the name offhand. Here's hoping he's not.

Incredibly uncool to sell a goon badge and an unopened (and desperately needed by Nico for legitimate press) press badge. Not to mention pocketing two Ninja badges when there weren't enough to go around.
    barkode,

It looks like both the goon and press badges have been removed from eBay.

-kive

Leave a comment:

• stits
    replied

Interesting, I guess you're always going to get a few tools. On the flip side if it's only 3 or 4 out of 600+ that speaks well of the community IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• DJ Jackalope
    replied

Best thing today.. someone is selling their room keys for $20 on ebay.

note from 8-10-10: 2 people have already BID on them...wtf...
    Last edited by DJ Jackalope; August 10, 2010, 10:09.

Leave a comment:

• kampf
    replied

I was looking at those eBay sales last night and lamenting.

I was also battling with my brother's badge :)

May it live on eternally.

Leave a comment:

• eris
    replied

Originally posted by barkode View Post
    I reached out to both the individuals behind those two auctions, and they've been removed voluntarily. No problem there.

What does interest me however, is that a new guy is selling two Ninja badges (one used, one unused) as well as an unopened press badge and a used goon badge. Not a common combination of things to have...

I've identified the person in question and I'm reaching out to senior staff to see if he was a goon. I don't recognize the name offhand. Here's hoping he's not.

Incredibly uncool to sell a goon badge and an unopened (and desperately needed by Nico for legitimate press) press badge. Not to mention pocketing two Ninja badges when there weren't enough to go around.
    That the auctions have been removed is great. All the other badges news is not. I certainly hope they weren't ill-gotten gains. I think perhaps all the hype about all the different badges for the last few years is now showing it's unintended consequences. With the severe shortage of badges all around this year, this kind of hoarding for profit is simply ugly in a community supported, community run, community created event.

Leave a comment:

• barkode
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Thorn
    replied

Originally posted by xor View Post
    I'll trade mine for straight sex
    Wait a minute, let's narrow this down. What wouldn't you trade?

Leave a comment:

• xor
    replied

I'll trade mine for straight sex

xor

and here I Grateful Dead'ed my +1 to some guy I didn't know.

Yes, it's lame to sell your Ninja Networks Badge, before or after the fact.
    Last edited by xor; August 7, 2010, 12:04.

Leave a comment:

• eris
    replied

Unfortunately, in the end there isn't a lot any of us can do about it. It is a lack of respect for the Ninja Networks, sure, but the badges do belong to whom they are given or to whom was able to SE one in some way. This year made it more difficult to control that as the badges were offered up as prizes to quite a few contests for the first time. Let it go, folks. The community has been alerted, the community will work it out in some fashion I am sure.

Leave a comment:

• greatscott
    replied

I've posted about the EFF-supporting auction here: https://forum.defcon.org/showthread....644#post116644

Leave a comment:

• madnos
    replied

My ninja badge has been placed on a shinto alter. When I meditate in search of f00 greatness it is my center focus. Ninjas... true ninjas honor there gear and the hardwares creator. You would not sell a Hattori Hanzo sword on Ebay and neither should you sell a ninja badge.

My brother ninjas are out seeking this fool out. This person has betrayed the order of the shadow and will be punished for there crime.

Leave a comment:

• Bad "BK" Kobold
    replied

Originally posted by hypn View Post
    I'm considering buying both - though ultimately I'm after a shirt and badge. I live in South Africa and haven't had the spare funds to make it to DefCon yet - I'm planning for next year, or holding out for DefCon 20.

I've got various 'con memorabilia from over the years, even some Hope 2k stickers and stuff, without even leaving this country ;) Sure it doesn't count for much, just gives a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
    The only issue with buying the Ninja badge is it rewards the person that got it originally, but didn't honor the spirit of it.

I know a bunch of people are like fuck it- it's money. I would disagree (coming from someone who has never been given a badge), the badges are not supposed to be a source of income every year- but of pride. You have something that is unique and a lot of hard work has gone into its development.

Why should you take something that was given to you freely (and explicitly told not to sell on eBay) and make money from it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X