• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sintax_error
    replied
    Re: ToorCon 12

Originally posted by kallahar View Post
    I heard that toorcon's saturday party they only gave out one drink ticket per person, which was only good for crappy beer, that you could only get more if you "knew someone", and that it was $10 for any non toorcon attendees to get in at all?
    Indeed sir. The drink tickets were basically worth $5 and would get you your choice of a Bud Light, Heineken, or Corona for beer, or one Skyy well drink, or $5 towards a real drink, you pay the difference. Even came with instructions explaining how you could not get change or some ridiculous shit. And you could get more by standing outside watching Toorcon attendees walk in, and wait 3 to 5 minutes for them to leave and offer up their unused tickets. If you were minus a Toorcon badge, it was a $10 cover to get in. This was of course waived for the small pack of half naked drunk females who told the bouncer $10 was too much...

I'm not one to judge the party overall, as I was only there for a few minutes, but the drink ticket system was stupid.

Leave a comment:

• kallahar
    replied

I heard that toorcon's saturday party they only gave out one drink ticket per person, which was only good for crappy beer, that you could only get more if you "knew someone", and that it was $10 for any non toorcon attendees to get in at all?

Leave a comment:

• sintax_error
    replied

Had a blast once again. Huge thanks to icetre and abby.

Leave a comment:

• flea
    replied

also, feel free to SKIP toorcon completely. As an authorized agent of icetre I'm allowed to invite you all to crash on his floor, thus skipping toorcon altogether!

Leave a comment:

• Salem
    replied

2oorcon talks are only available in-person due to the highly illegal content presented.
    That, and the strippers specifically requested no videography.

Leave a comment:

• kallahar
    replied

2oorcon talks are only available in-person due to the highly illegal content presented.

Leave a comment:

• Club81
    replied

The lineup of talks looks really solid. I won't be able to make it, but does toorcon release videos or make them available for purchase/download? I've found a couple older ones online (Google Video, YouTube, etc...) but nothing more organized and official. There's a couple talks this year that I'd like to see.

Leave a comment:

• icetre
    replied

It's an awesome party, 23b gets there friday after work, there's a jack in the box within walking distance. Parking can be tough to find, but it's all street parking, so no fees. The beach is also nearby, as is Sea World!

Kallahar
    There's *lots* more than that!

If you're veggie/vegan the best co-op in CA (not my assesment) is located literally right across the street. They have a deli upstairs, with loads of fresh made vegan/veggie eats for cheap. Of course they also have tv dinner type stuff and there's a full kitchen at the crib.

It killed me last year to watch all the 23b veggies eating crap from JitB when I knew there was awesome food just inches away. Tried to tell ya's but, whatever. :)

We also have, according to Dc0de, a mexican fast food joint across the street that will knock your socks off.

As well as the best (or second best depending on who you ask) burger in San Diego, Great Pizza (remember, I'm from NY) , Cheap and awesome Fish Tacos (same place also has Zuchini tacos as well, which as I write this kinda sounds gross but are teh awesome. They're fried like the regular fish and come with all the same stuff.)

All this is easily in reach without having to move your car and lose your space.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.023839&z=16

Most of the good stuff is on Newport. While it is a bit of a walk, it's by no means a hike even. You can get to almost anywhere on Newport Ave within 15 minutes of walking, even if you walk slow.

There's a Fresh and Easy, Vons and Ralphs all within easy driving distance with Fresh and Sleazy being the cheapest/best/closest.

By no means walkable but close enough, and remember the benefactor has 2 cars available with private parking. (One now can seat more than 2 people! Though, no more than 3.)

Leave a comment:

• icetre
    replied

Originally posted by Salem View Post
    I have recently spoken with a couple of airlines about bringing "home made soda in soda kegs". Neither was too keen on the idea and both informed that that it wouldnt go over well. So sadly, no kegs of happiness.
    Perhaps next year, I can fund a ride-along, or if you can stand the pig, err dog, perhaps Greyhound would be a little more relaxed? Lord knows I can't live without more of your delicious cider!

I thought you were already down here anyways?

Leave a comment:

• Salem
    replied

I have recently spoken with a couple of airlines about bringing "home made soda in soda kegs". Neither was too keen on the idea and both informed that that it wouldnt go over well. So sadly, no kegs of happiness.

Leave a comment:

• kallahar
    replied

It's an awesome party, 23b gets there friday after work, there's a jack in the box within walking distance. Parking can be tough to find, but it's all street parking, so no fees. The beach is also nearby, as is Sea World!

Kallahar

Leave a comment:

• icetre
    replied

Just a reminder, not that it'll swing anyone, but hey.

I didn't post anything about it yet, cause, well, honestly, it's been a really busy year. I mean it!

Yeah, I know that most people SAY that, but in reality, they sat on their fat ass all year, doing jack nor shit except watching 'The Biggest Looser' without realizing it's them.

I had a really heavy year! Not so heavy though that I can't throw down in my home town! So y'all pack yer fuckin' bags, and come to toorcon! Then (as 23b has labeled it) come to 2oorcon on your time off from toorcon.

The party kicks off at the usual time, and the place hasn't changed from last year. Last year was an amazing mix of 3 floors of insanity with deckchairs, music, booze, fire, vidya games (Hell yeah! Dig Dug!) and pinball. I haven't had much time this year to get to any of my previously lofty pinball goals, so only 1 new machine is running. ALTHOUGH, I'm working all this week and next to finish the repairs and cleanup of the rest of the games and they should all be 100% by next Friday (excepting 2 projects, Centaur and Funhouse.)

I've also been thinking about a few other things, and may more budget this year for implements and accouterments. I can tell you, that on Friday by 8pm there will be a keg of at LEAST good SD beer chillin' in a tub of ice and several hundered dollars worth of booze.

I need your help as my liver just can't hack consuming all of this before it goes bad!

If Salem is coming as well, perhaps, he's figured on bringing some Cider. (Considering the unrelaxed security policy about even checked baggage consisting of a large metal tube filled with an unknown 'homemade' liquid, I wouldn't count on it.)

You're also welcome to bring your special booze to share. Or perhaps that not-so-special booze that you say, like to leave in the fridge of other people's houses just because you it's funny that you've baffled the uninitiated.

In all cases no reasonble offer of booze, food, or prostitutes will be refused!

Anyways, come chill, it's always a fuck of a time.

When: Starts 8pm on Friday the 22nd and goes till ??? on ?*day
    Where: 4721 Muir Ave, San Diego, CA 92107 (Ocean Beach)

From LA:

Words for girls: Boom straight down the 5, get off Sea World Drive, hanging a right at the end of the exit. Drive down Sea World for about 2 miles, over a bridge. Over the bridge, Sea World becomes Sunset Cliffs Blvd. Bear right at all the various forks into Ocean Beach. Drive past the gas stations and 1 street the past the Jack in the Box, hang a left on Muir and the house is about 2/3rds of the way down Muir. Find a spot, (pray to the parking gods, luck be with you.) Come inside and get yo' freak on.

Pictures for boys: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...iego,+ca+92107

From the Convention Center and therebouts:

Method 1 - Freeways:
    Words for girls: Take Harbor Drive till 1st Ave. Turn right on 1st ave. Take 1st Ave 1 mile and on the left should be the freeway entrance to the 5. Take the 5 to the 8 Westbound. You can't miss it if you head towards the 4 giant signs that announce 'Beaches' along the way. Take the 8 westbound until it ends. Stay in the right hand lane as the 8 turns off the freeway and dumps you onto Sunset Cliffs. Bear right at all the various forks into Ocean Beach. Drive past the gas stations and 1 street the past the Jack in the Box, hang a left on Muir and the house is about 2/3rds of the way down Muir. Find a spot, (pray to the parking gods, luck be with you.) Come inside and get yo' freak on.

Pictures for boys: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...iego,+ca+92107

Method 2 - Surface Streets:

Words for Girls: Take Harbor to Nimitz Blvd (5 miles) Turn right on Nimitz, and take Nimitz to West Point Loma (2 miles) Turn left on West Point Loma, and left again on Sunset Cliffs Blvd. Drive past the gas stations and 1 street the past the Jack in the Box, hang a left on Muir and the house is about 2/3rds of the way down Muir. Find a spot, (pray to the parking gods, luck be with you.) Come inside and get yo' freak on.

Pictures for Boys: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...=UTF8&t=h&z=16

Address: 4721 Muir Ave
    San Diego, CA 92107

Phone: 858-220-2772

Leave a comment:

• sintax_error
    replied

Just confirmed. I'll be there.

Leave a comment:

• converge
    replied

This year got stomped by Blizzcon nearby.. next year highly probable.

Leave a comment:

• noid
    replied

I'm toying with the idea of going this year. Before I can sell work on the idea I need to see some sort of preliminary schedule to make sure that some of the talks are 'work relevant'. I always enjoyed Toorcon as it was my chance to see the cool Defcon talks I couldnt see because I was working. I've missed the last 2 or 3 years though..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X