Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google "Instant"... am i alone in hating it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google "Instant"... am i alone in hating it?

i am so pleased that i run OptimizeGoogle and HTTPS Everywhere because between the two of them, these plug-ins seem to effectively kill the new Google "instant" search feature.

am i alone in thinking that this new steaming load of code treats people like idiots? you know, most of us actually know what we're searching for even before we've finished typing.

i encounter this sort of crap on my android phone on occasion within a google powered app (like Maps) and it frustrates me to no end because it drags down the user experience with slower devices, wasted bandwidth, and (often) ads.

Google around (or should i say, Bing around) the web a bit, for things like "Google Instant Sucks" and you'll see some more articles about how much this is seeming like a way to just give paid sponsors more eyeball time, even in fractions of a second.

That's just my opinion... i'd love to hear yours. And i'll be happily doing all of my searches directly from Firefox's address bar like always as i read them.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Google "Instant"... am i alone in hating it?

Most companies have this need to keep innovating or at least seen to be innovating no matter how lame or inane the concept. It's the 'throw it at the wall, see if it sticks' form of beta test.

You will notice though, how much press they are getting and the only bad press is an obituary.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
      That's just my opinion... i'd love to hear yours. And i'll be happily doing all of my searches directly from Firefox's address bar like always as i read them.
      You touched a nerve. I'd like to snip the brains of the idiots at GOOG that keep coming up with things to make life suck, and throw them on the same branding fire that gets used for calf "brains".

I like Gmail. I use it because it has some of the best, no real effort on my part, spam filtering around. Full Disclosure would be intolerable without it. I don't want Buzz, Wave, Chat (*spit*), cute pictures of my "friends" with gmail accounts, or a fancy schmancy interface. I like the fact that email doesn't display images automatically (email is NOT supposed to be a stupid moronic web page, thanks). On a couple of accounts, I simply pop whatever email isn't filtered as spam, which is the best.

I like google. I've used it side by side with other search engines, and it still tends to return the best results. I spent two minutes staring in disbelief at their newest STUPID idea, and then saw the little link to the side to TURN IT OFF. This morning, I went to some other machines to turn it off for other browsers, and discovered that they've apparently turned the spigot off for us all.

Dear Google; Stop Sucking Now. Please.

Comment

shrdlu pretty much took the words right out of my keyboard, so I'm not going to simply repeat what she said. But I will agree that Instant is crap, but probably not so much to the technologically inept, who unfortunately are the ones all companies want to please. And as for the same thing on Android based devices with maps, I will second Deviant and say that when that crap happens with Navigate or Maps, it's one of the most frustrating damn things that can happen.
        "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

I finally just noticed it today. I was constantly having to retype search terms while researching a problem and every time I deleted something, it refreshed the results. I wanted to stab it so badly today.
          "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

C'mon people, is it really that hard to just turn it off?
            "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
              C'mon people, is it really that hard to just turn it off?
              Spoken like someone who uses ONE computer, and ONE browser. Is it that hard? Nope. Should it be something that gets shoved down my throat for each and every computer/browser? NO. If there was a www . simplegoogle . com that provided the same search results as the bloated pukey tracking-cookie piece of shit that GOOG's become, I'd use it. I'm smart enough to know how to construct a simple regex for those rare instances where I want a complex search.

It's a STUPID idea. STUPID. I hate stupid. It's why I live in the middle of nowhere. I see a lot less of it.

Jeeze, speaking of stupid, why do I now have some moronic "Smilies" crap invading my typing space? It's early. Do I look like I'm smiling? Trust me. I'm not. For anyone who's ever seen me before (say) 10AM, you already know what my face looks like. Smilies. Don't make me open the gun safe.

Comment

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
                It's a STUPID idea. STUPID. I hate stupid. It's why I live in the middle of nowhere. I see a lot less of it.
                Gee, tell us how you really feel.
                Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
                  Gee, tell us how you really feel.
                  That's the other reason Shrdlu lives in the middle of nowhere. Keeps the rest of us safe.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

I heard their next big project was the inception of Clappy, an STD infested rendition of Clippy that assists the casual google user by reminding them to use google voice, let them know which emails are important based on datamining your search and mail history, and audibly repeating every character you type in along with suggestions of every possible word that character could be used in .. using voiceovers from Richard Simmons.
                    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by converge View Post
                      I heard their next big project was the inception of Clappy, an STD infested rendition of Clippy that assists the casual google user by reminding them to use google voice, let them know which emails are important based on datamining your search and mail history, and audibly repeating every character you type in along with suggestions of every possible word that character could be used in .. using voiceovers from Richard Simmons.
                      Finally a feature we can all get behind and enjoy. It's about time Google does this.
                      A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
                        Spoken like someone who uses ONE computer, and ONE browser.
                        Surely you know me better than this? I have four computers at home and two at work, and between them I use at least 4 different browsers. Still, it takes *one* click to turn off.
                        "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Surely you know me better than this? I have four computers at home and two at work, and between them I use at least 4 different browsers. Still, it takes *one* click to turn off.
                          'prez is so leet he can hit a button on at least 4 different browsers in multiple locations with *one* click. In all seriousness, I'd say that the latest incarnation of Google images is the most annoying of the new G-features. At least instant can be turned off.
                          "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

{Damn. Those stupid smilies are still there, in their little box. Were they always there, and I just picked today to notice them?}

Yeah, there's very few folks of the been around defcon a long time that I'd expect to have only one computer. Sure, it takes one click to turn off. One click for ELEVEN browser/machine combinations, and that's only because not all of my machines have browsers that I'd EVER invoke.

Hmmm, wonder what der GOOG looks like from good old lynx?

I can answer that question (I just checked). It looks great, and no need to turn off annoying "features."

Comment

I actually like and think the voice command feature on the Android works great. No training required, as far as voice recognition goes, it's awesome. For integrated communication services I use Kerio Connect and Touchdown on my Android. Gmail can suck my arse. Despite all the snooping Google does, it could be worse, you could be carrying around a phone like "The Brick", or worse yet, a Crack Berry or Windows Mobile phone, and I'm too poor to afford an I-Phone. Given the alternatives, I like my Android.

/Hate Away. These devices are geared for mass humanity, not smart people. Take pride in the fact that you are one of the enlightened. Factoid: There is 1 cell phone for every 2 people on the planet.

xor
                              Last edited by xor; September 12, 2010, 22:02.
                              Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Working...
                              X