action video of my new Motorola Defy in a bucket of water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• action video of my new Motorola Defy in a bucket of water

Hope this isn't construed as a commercial post, since i'm not trying to promote a specific model phone but rather i'm just really thrilled, from a technical perspective, over how this new device of mine held up against some testing.

I have owned an HTC Magic for quite some time. It has served me well, and with CyanogenMod i've been able to keep it humming along for way longer than i likely should have, even to the point of running Android 2.2 on it. However, it's speed and RAM just aren't enough to keep up with me now... as anyone who has hung around me can likely attest (seeing me grumble and battle with the phone was a rather regular feature in the background of the LP Village at times, etc)

When shopping and reading about new devices, it basically came down between the Samsung Vibrant (aka Galaxy S) and the new Motorola Defy (the rugged Android device that just came out). The Vibrant has a bit of a faster processor and more RAM (and also things like an OLED display and other jazzier bits) but in the end i went with the Defy. I think i'm pleased. Not only did it cost less, but also it can do this...

... this video has been making the rounds on twitter, etc. It's some footage of us in Christina and Rogue's apartment, dropping the phone into a bucket of water. The results were pretty fun and interesting, from a tech perspective.

We did learn a few interesting things...
    1. The marketing claims appear to be true... the phone kept right on ticking despite repeated drops into a bucket of dirty water.

2. The resonant frequencies of the vibrational modes of water will cause it to absorb things like GSM and WiFi signals, thus your phone won't likely ring if underwater

3. Water makes the capacitance-based display act weird for a while when you pull the phone out of the drink.

4. My piezoelectric earpiece speaker performed badly for a while after repeated dunkings, but blowing out the droplets and giving it some time made it sound rather ok again

The phone is totally back to normal for me now, especially since it had all night to dry out, but there was a brief period there where i did get a little uneasy about the prospect of having to return it, swap it, and re-install all that shit again.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; November 8, 2010, 09:11.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: action video of my new Motorola Defy in a bucket of water

Now that provided for a good laugh. From what I've tracked down it's also compatible with Asian and European carriers if you purchase one unlocked. (Which is good for me, it'll be a while before I'm back in the states). Looks like this thing could be a good replacement for my Samsung Saga (Then again, so is a signal mirror).
    Note on the screen name: The CH is pronounced as a K, and there's a bit of an amusing story behind it involving two other fellows known as El Conquistador and Hank the Hobo...... And a blue bus.... With people in it.

Comment

Weird that the screen took a while to recover even after you dried it off. I wonder if it has some kind of running internal calibration that gets blown to hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigs View Post
        Weird that the screen took a while to recover even after you dried it off. I wonder if it has some kind of running internal calibration that gets blown to hell.
        it could be, but i think it's more likely that the phone's case -- while watertight -- still has nooks and crannies that can hold droplets of water for a while until they evaporate (like the earpiece speaker that took a while to dry out and sound right again) and when this residual water is in the picture, it makes things "funny" overall.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
        X