Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WiK
    replied
    Re: Traveling Terabyte Changing Direction?

Why not a service such as this: http://www.rfidc.com/ ?? some kind of gps+rfid system? I have not looked into the cost of such a thing, but there has to be some kind of gps solution that can be used.

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied

Note that Blu-Ray fares even worse when scratched than DVDs do. They really need to be taken care of. I can't tell you how many times I encountered playback issues with Blu-Rays rented via Netflix (before I got rid of the pesky "physical media" part of my plan)

Leave a comment:

• thejesterrace87
    replied

I wouldn't attempt to upgrade to Blu-Ray yet, give it a few years and it will be better integrated into affordable laptops for most people.

DVDs are definitely the best way to go for optical media.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

Good luck getting videos on the new iPods, they are not as friendly as some older ones. My new Classic sucks compared to my old one.

Forget Blu-Ray. DVD is the way to go. DL is fine, but then you end up with tons of discs that will get separated.

Can you have a pop-up on the TTB? Put on a batch file or whatever and have a little disclaimer, ID, and property of box pop up. Include email and a contact by date. Or get a steel plate and engrave the data on it and mount it to the box, Pioneer 10 style.

I'd request accountability. If you hand it to a serviceman that you can track, like with a photocopied ID card, he can end up standing in front of his commander explaining the loss of your property. When I traveled with it I would inform the receiver about the importance and made sure the same information moved along the line.

Your form factor is correct. I've used it. I wish I had TTB01 right here for the memories. Maybe we need to expect some "shrinkage" but I think it best to hold the folks to their word and really impart on them the seriousness of your intent.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Something i'd really like to hear about is how prevalent people think that Blu-Ray compatible drives are, especially in the field. Single-Layer vs. Dual-Layer, etc.

When i shipped out external USB hard drives, i at least knew that even folk with Pentium 233MHz Packard Bell laptops running Windows 98 could likely read data off them. If we make a switch to Blu-Ray, will most folk even be able to access the content??

Would flash drives be a better option? And, if so, how large and how to keep THEM from getting lost or mislaid, etc?

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    started a topic Traveling Terabyte Changing Direction?

Traveling Terabyte Changing Direction?

Hey all,

I'm posting this here because the DEFCON and hacker community was so instrumental in helping me get the Traveling Terabyte Project off the ground and has been a source of great advice and input as things have progressed.

Lately, i've become rather upset (or at least, i would say i've become disillusioned) about some aspects of the TTB Project. In short, a number of the "cases" that contain the hard drives have gone slightly M.I.A... they're not stolen (and indeed may still be entertaining men and women in uniform) but they're out of my grasp and logistical control.

Things in the field and within the APO/FPO system have become a considerable hurdle for managing the cases and the drives. Hand-offs, face-to-face transfers, and such have become the preferred method for getting the cases to new recipients. That's a great way of avoiding the slowness of the mail system, but it makes it nearly impossible to keep tabs on the drives.

I'm thinking about shifting the form factor (yet again) and focusing on ways of producing optical media content for people who are deployed in the field, while keeping the "drive in a case" style TTBs predominantly in rear-echelon positions.

I'd really like people's input on this. You can read the whole summary of how i'm feeling and what i'd like to do here on the TTB home page. Ultimately, the questions i ask as the end of my recent post are...
    Is Blu-Ray a good choice for the new discs?

Should we be re-thinking the format in which the material is encoded, etc? (would MP4 be better, given the number of iPods, iPads, and mobile tech that play this style of file instead?)

Who would like their friends or loved ones in uniform to receive a copy of the new disc when the project gets off the ground in this new direction?

Have a look, give it some thought, and let's see where we are for the Traveling Terabyte Project in 2011. Thanks for all your support and thank you to all who keep men and women in uniform in their thoughts while they are away from home.
Working...
X