Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blueAlien
    replied
    Re: Traveling Terabyte Changing Direction?

Why not have an auto-run application on the drives that asks the user to input a string based location. Each drive can have a small write-protected partition containing an INI (w/ unique id/serial) and the auto-run app. That gives participants the various levels of participation that they can decide upon. (i.e. Soliders can put a country/region instead of a city/base or not put anything at all). Some soldiers may not even know about being able to upload location data to the Internet or why that data is useful. The application can also provide awareness information, other instructions, etc. The auto-run would also not be intrusive because it can be disabled via the OS (or a built-in option to the application).

You also have to consider that not every soldier is going to have access to the Internet at all times. This is generally considered a luxury item and not always provided (thus the need to ship disk drives around) or sometimes just due to "radio silence" parameters. Also, "disaster areas" obviously are without hard line communications. Maybe an option to store input data and then sync with the server later once the user has gained Internet access again.

You definitely do not want to collect GPS data, because that would be too precise for any organization besides the military to have and there may be some legality issues surrounding having that data. Not to mention GPS can be intercepted and it might be a bit obvious to when a ton a GPS devices start all moving in the same direction in meaningful patterns.

Just a few thoughts from someone who's been deployed.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by WiK View Post
    Have you looked into gps tracking for the devices?
    i'm afraid i can't begin to count the ways that such a plan would be less than ideal. ;-) but, i'll try...

* i wouldn't want to have a map with active troop movements displayed
    * i wouldn't want devices in-theater trying to call home, especially with GPS data
    * i wouldn't want to write the code that would power this
    * i wouldn't want devices trying to get a GPS fix from inside troop areas
    * it's not really a big deal for me to not know where, exactly, the cases are ;-)

... that's not to say it wouldn't be a major cool factor to have the map on this page actually blipping with little blinky dots where TTBs are really on the ground.

Leave a comment:

• WiK
    replied

Have you looked into gps tracking for the devices?

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

It looks like you have room in the case for a pvc id card. Why not print up a card with info on it, and a serial number for that drive. Then have a feature on the TTB website where people can 'check in' where they are with it, and then you can show a google map of where its been.
    we've tried some things like that in the past... but it really doesn't go anywhere.

some folk have been really great about adding little entries and communicating where the drives have gone, but far and away most recipients don't check in or give feedback and it just winds up being a point of frustration since we feel so in the dark about where the drives wind up.

hell, we're just happy if someone sends the occasional photo... and even that is pulling teeth

Leave a comment:

• WiK
    replied

Deviant,

It looks like you have room in the case for a pvc id card. Why not print up a card with info on it, and a serial number for that drive. Then have a feature on the TTB website where people can 'check in' where they are with it, and then you can show a google map of where its been. I've done something similar in the past and it worked out pretty well using the google maps API.

WiK

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

ok, so i see that in 2011 we did all the donation announcements and such through the TTB web site. i've completed all the latest news and posts on the site so we can do the same thing again.

head on over to the Traveling Terabyte page if you'd like to see the details of this latest round of flash drive construction, etc. i hope that we can get all of this ready in time for a production run just after DEFCON this summer.

thanks to all who support, who spread the word, and who thank others for their service!

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by astcell View Post
    Get better hooks on the cords. Mine fell off at Defcon. And longer cords.
    i don't know if it's possible for our manufacturer, a company called iPromo, to make the lanyards longer, but you can see their assortment of hooks here.

we used to have the "crab claw" but would perhaps the oval be better? i've never liked J-hooks whenever i've had them on other keychains and lanyards. or maybe just a simple round keyring would be best? these aren't made to come off of the lanyards, really.

if 5 people contributed $500 each, we'd be absolutely fully-funded... but i recognize that this is a particularly daunting number to reach for. the total of what we're looking at for costs is around $2100, plus some shipping and assembly fees, which don't get calculated until the order is underway...

...the above funding goal also represents a small overage which gets put toward shipping out to APO and FPO addresses, as well as any shipping to stateside donors, etc. i'm thinking that anyone who donates at that level would also get 5 flash drives plus a good sized pack of the TTB contact cards (i'll do a reprint of them out of pocket since it's nothing, really) for the opportunity to give things out as they travel and interact with folk in uniform.

maybe that is actually a good ratio? for every $100 someone donates, they'd get one of the new flash drives... ideally so that they would hand it out at some point while meeting with a soldier or sailor or marine or airmen, etc. then folk could custom tailor their own level of participation.

P.S. - i realize that this conversation is treading closely to a solicitation style thread. i'm taking care to keep the discussion just about the topic of support without actually asking or support or mentioning the PayPal address of the TTB Project, etc. i'll have to do some back-scrolling to see how we handled this last time. any mods who want to help steer this in the right direction, please do so.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; June 19, 2013, 12:59.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

Get better hooks on the cords. Mine fell off at Defcon. And longer cords.

You know you can put me down for whatever support you need.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Just a quick update... i'm officially going to produce another large run of the flash drives. The last batch from a couple years ago was a huge hit and i've been completely out of them for a little while now. Unless people think there was anything particularly lacking with the old version (see here if you want a reminder of the original style) i'm going with them again.

32 GB still seems to be the max available from any custom flash drive house (promo and free giveaways never seem to be large, hence you won't see 64 GB options) and i've had to just live with that.

i'm thinking of just doing another word-of-mouth funding push, unless someone wants to preach the merits of IndieGoGo... which has apparently made a big impact on many folk in the hacker scene with their own side projects in the past.

for now, just follow me or the TTB Project on Twitter and help spread the word when announcements come around!

thanks for all the support.

Leave a comment:

• erehwon
    replied

Why not a service such as this: http://www.rfidc.com/ ?? some kind of gps+rfid system? I have not looked into the cost of such a thing, but there has to be some kind of gps solution that can be used.
    Its a great solution for a portable trailered air compressor (If there's a crane onsite, the trailer is lifted 30 feet off the ground and blowing in the breeze), but really bad for a forward deployed unit that doesn't want anyone outside of their AOR to know where they are.

If you think I'm kidding, ask Geraldo Rivera how well that went over in 2003.

Leave a comment:

• calypso
    replied

As someone in the know (god I hate myself) Blu-Ray is not viable in the field (unless you are providing the player). On the subject of codecs, yes mp4 will get you better compression. Dev I'll PM you some specs if you want them so you can get an idea of the HW available.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

yeah, given all of the feedback... we opted for USB drives as opposed to Blu-Ray discs. the 32 GB drives are a good middle-of-the-road between the 25GB and 50GB standards of Blu-Ray. and the fact that they're USB makes them infinitely more accessible.

also... enclosed flash drive versus optical disc media... no contest there for which is more rugged and can be transported more reliably in-theatre.

Leave a comment:

• b0n3z
    replied

Having been a recipient of the TTB before, nobody that I know of had a bluray drive unless they had a PS3. I know of only 1 or 2 from my unit that DID have that and being the comms guy I knew at least half the unit by name or face.

Sadly, I don't have a real solution to go with or offer up because the TTB was a great thing to get and be able to plug into any laptop and download the contents. An external hard drive, in my opinion, was definitely better to receive than a bluray disc.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

The Traveling Terabyte Project site has a full update of what the latest plan is. I'm really excited for how it's shaping up and i hope to post more soon.

Quite moving was the story of Jason Blackwell. Read the new posts. You won't believe it.

Leave a comment:

• bascule
    replied

Is this how you're distributing the traveling terabyte now?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X