X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Re: A few questions about Defcon; I've never been to it before

Thread copied to here while this one is closed.

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied

Um ...my 1 cent..

Wonder around, hand people beers, go to the parties, don't fall asleep at the parties, don't throw shct out the window at the parties, basically most is in the faq..

Making friends, easy, just walk up say your a newbie and start talking..better yet volunteer to help...

On going cheap..look at Bill Gamblin Hall and other low cost hotels, cheap to stay and easy to get back to. If you work it right you probably will only come back to crash and maybe take a shower...I prefer Bills as its the lowest cost jumping point for Black hat parties until Defcon starts..after that..still looking..but as others said -- go crash with someone random--makes life more interesting.

consider coming over the the Alexis park. If a man offers you a drink of Habanero or random drink from different types of dispenser..go with it..just don't fall asleep or end up in the emergency room.

These folks who are replying are golden, write their names down - go say hi, most will even buy YOU a beer..

Originally posted by Sapience View Post
    Greetings,

I've been a computer nerd for as long as I can remember and have visited these forums on and off since I was a young lad. Last year I finally turned 21, and thus I naturally have started considering going to Defcon. I checked the FAQ and didn't find answers to these questions, so I decided to pose them here. I'd be grateful to anyone who could answer any of them:

1. How much can one expect to spend in total to have an enjoyable time at Defcon? As in, do you have to spend to fully experience the con, or can I use my thrifty cheap college student skills to still get a rich experience and save money?

2. Is it recommended for first-time con-goers to submit a paper to talk about? I've been working at a datamining lab for four years and have a couple of papers floating around in the academic peer review system. I think I might have some interesting things to say, but it's mainly my work and perspectives from academia (aka fantasy) land. I'm also scared I might end up making my first time less enjoyable in case I get selected to talk.

3. Is it easy to make new friends at Defcon? If I were to go, I might have to go alone.

4. Any behaviors in particular that are widely looked down upon?

Thanks much.

Leave a comment:

• HighWiz
    replied

Originally posted by KillerSpud View Post
    You might want to rethink that with all the tamper evident tricks going around these days
    Not really. There are far easier ways to fuck with someone, if you're willing to put in the effort to actually tamper with their beverage. Though, do you have a picture? I'd be happy to flash it up at 101 and tell people not to accept any beverages from you, at all.

In the case of Roamer, I don't know if he'd really accept any beverage from someone he didn't know (Sans the bartender).

Leave a comment:

• KillerSpud
    replied

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
    To further that note... Don't accept open beverages from others.

It will save you possible trouble later on.
    You might want to rethink that with all the tamper evident tricks going around these days

Leave a comment:

• HighWiz
    replied

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Just a note. Don't offer a Goon an opened beverage. We probably won't take it, and we definitely won't drink it. Sealed, unopened water is always appreciated though.
    To further that note... Don't accept open beverages from others.

It will save you possible trouble later on.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

Just a note. Don't offer a Goon an opened beverage. We probably won't take it, and we definitely won't drink it. Sealed, unopened water is always appreciated though.
    In one box is an unopened Rolling Rock, and in the other box is an unopened water. Choose wisely.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied

Originally posted by LosT View Post
    Dude I always look LosT.

TIP: WATER is appreciated almost as much as alcohol at certain times. Try offering water if you're under age. It will work most of the time. Vegas is hot.

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied

Dude I always look LosT.

My motto has always been "make Defcon your own".

And by all means make sure you read HighWiz's FAQ like three times. Really.

TIP: WATER is appreciated almost as much as alcohol at certain times. Try offering water if you're under age. It will work most of the time. Vegas is hot.

Tip: At least PEEK into all the different areas- the LP village- Wifi- HHV, etc.

Go into CTF and watch a bit.

Go talk to the oCTF guys. After that go find the DC949 guys and beg them to do awesome oCTF again ;) (gotta give props)

Check out the vendor area.

Wander. (Not all who wander are LosT)

Come say hi to me.

Originally posted by astcell View Post

I have my friends from years past but ALWAYS meet a new person. Someone may look lost, sad, scared, or sober. Help in any way you can!

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

At DC17 I was walking by the pool when a few guys on the grass yelled "Hey want a beer?" I went over, grabbed a beer and listened to their discussion. They had a perplexing question and between them they were trying to figure out the answer. I thanked them for the beer and then mentioned that their question is easily answered as it has been a matter in my occupation for over 20 years.

I have my friends from years past but ALWAYS meet a new person. Someone may look lost, sad, scared, or sober. Help in any way you can!

Leave a comment:

• psypete
    replied

"hey look i have alcohol lets drink it" - they aren't kidding. made like 4 friends this way.
    toxic bbq and pre-party are also easy ways to talk to people, and other events.
    be yourself. we're all nerds here!
    walk around, find random parties, dance.
    walk up to random little clusters of people and say "hi, i'm so-n-so". works more often than you'd think
    other random question good for starting convo: "are you more into hardware or software?" - seems like 10x more hardware people than there used to be...

also, and this might just be me, a noob mistake is not knowing your drinking limit or drinking the wrong stuff... beer makes me antisocial whilst liquor makes me happy. go figure. OH, and ask a goon where the cheap liquor store is and buy booze there and bring a bag to carry it around in, and some shot cups. you will be a hero to many.

Leave a comment:

• HighWiz
    replied

ProTIP: Buy me lots of Rolling Rock. It WILL impress me and I will like you.
    That's all it takes? No, handjob's in the men's room?

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied

Originally posted by astcell View Post
    I recall one individual trying to impress another by quoting smart points from a tech book. They were speaking to the author. Lesson learned.
    ProTIP: Buy me lots of Rolling Rock. It WILL impress me and I will like you.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

I recall one individual trying to impress another by quoting smart points from a tech book. They were speaking to the author. Lesson learned.

Leave a comment:

• LosT
    replied

Quick suggestions:

1. Don't be a douche.
    2. Talk to people. See rule #1.
    3. Participate- you've got Hardware Hacking Village, Defcon 101, Contests, parties, badge mayhem, lots to do. And don't be a douche.
    4. Don't try to impress everyone. There are lots of smart ppl at con. Don't try to impress everyone. Did I mention don't try to impress everyone? "Where three travel together, one will be my teacher and one will I teach". And don't be a douche.
    5. Have fun. Be yourself.

LosT

Leave a comment:

• KillerSpud
    replied

Last year was my first time also. I didn't go alone, but I would wander off all the time. I'm no big drinker, but I find a good 'bro pickup line' to be "so, what do you do?" Almost everyone at defcon does something interesting and is more than happy to talk about it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X