X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shoot sign-up and Lane reservation status

Originally posted by snideology View Post
    So two (well, three) questions:

1. Last year, they ran out of real badges EARLY. Like, shortly around the time we should get back from the shoot this year. So:
    a. Can a person buy more than one badge at a time this year, without having to go to the back of the line?
    b. Any word if they have more this year, at least enough until we can get back & stand in line?
    If the answer to a. is yes, ignore b;
    LosT says considerable effort was put into not running out of badges this year ---

https://forum.defcon.org/showpost.ph...4&postcount=44

Comment

Unless the badges are just absolutely sex'ed up, I have a hunch there may not be as big of a demand for them (ie people lining up for them ass early on Thursday) once people realize they aren't circuit board badges. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Picch View Post
        Unless the badges are just absolutely sex'ed up, I have a hunch there may not be as big of a demand for them (ie people lining up for them ass early on Thursday) once people realize they aren't circuit board badges. Just my opinion.
        People are easily programmed, and understand there is often value (hidden or not) in having a "real" badge instead of a token for a badge. Sometimes the badge can be a toy, a puzzle, a game, or hardware with all of these and embedded electronics. A long history of composed disappointments about how attendees have missed-out on participating in the same things as "everyone else" acts as a cautionary tale for future attendees. The story is one that is well understood by anyone that was unable to acquire the latest, "in," thing when it was popular.

For hackers, this is often not because of a sense that having something elevates status or peer-pressure to HAVE the latest in-thing, but the opportunities at being able to examine the new thing and understand it are lost. Additionally, with a lack of understanding how a thing works, opportunities to discuss what you have learned about the thing with your peer hackers are also lost. They can only learn about it, but not teach or share about it, and even when they learn about the thing, they can't take action on what they learned, because they don't have the thing to play with.

Maybe it is like being "Rudolf" the red-nosed-reindeer, who was also a sort of misfit, and, "not allowed to play in any reindeer games."

Maybe a better analogy: it is like being in a class with not enough books, and being one of the people that misses the learning opportunity, denied access to information, and left behind while others advance without you.

The only way I see lines getting shorter, is through repeated demonstration over 2 or more years that there are enough badges to not run out until Saturday at noon.
        Last edited by TheCotMan; July 26, 2011, 13:11.

Comment

Now if we can fix the 3 hour line problem....

Comment

military sign-ups working again

Hey all,

Someone wrote to me saying that the military registration wasn't working. Sure enough, i checked and there was a problem with the PayPal code. Or, rather, my implementation of it...

Basically, i had updated the verbiage to allow all folk with military IDs to get in at half price, not just people on the active duty roster. However, apparently one cannot simply change the text string on the HTML... modifying just about anything on the front end will make the back end unhappy. So, i updated the PayPal database and updated the code on my web page. Should all be working now.

The one fellow who emailed me should be sorted out now. If anyone else attempted to register as military and then failed (and opted instead for Standard reg or something) please just let me know... i'll update the records so you get the correct badge at the shoot and i'll refund you $10.
            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
            - Trent Reznor

Comment

To the military reading this, I will have 2 lanes and I am an Army E-8, so know your weapon safety procedures or I will have no problem embarrassing you... ;-)

Comment

I have closed the online registration system. I know, it seems strange that i would post this so soon after mentioning fixing some of the code, but we are now in full-bore, hardcore Black Hat preparation final stage and i have zero time to fuss with my own computer anymore and won't likely print anything more before i leave.

thus, i wanted to have the printed sheet of registrants fully updated so that if i have a secondary staffer doing reg on-site there are only two possibilities when people approach him or her:
                1. they are on the list

2. they have cash in-hand.

...so, if you're one of the 50 people signed up already, great! if not, you can still come... just bring cash to the Shoot location. (I will still honor military and foreigner discounts, just have your ID to back up your status claim. folk picking up ANY discounted badges, including pre-reg, will need ID... remember to bring it and your PayPal transaction string!)
                "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

Got my $ 20 and guns.... :)

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                  I have closed the online registration system. I know, it seems strange that i would post this so soon after mentioning fixing some of the code, but we are now in full-bore, hardcore Black Hat preparation final stage and i have zero time to fuss with my own computer anymore and won't likely print anything more before i leave.

thus, i wanted to have the printed sheet of registrants fully updated so that if i have a secondary staffer doing reg on-site there are only two possibilities when people approach him or her:
                  1. they are on the list

2. they have cash in-hand.

...so, if you're one of the 50 people signed up already, great! if not, you can still come... just bring cash to the Shoot location. (I will still honor military and foreigner discounts, just have your ID to back up your status claim. folk picking up ANY discounted badges, including pre-reg, will need ID... remember to bring it and your PayPal transaction string!)
                  +++ Dallas +++

Comment

Working...
                  X