• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pukingmonkey
    replied
    Re: Interesting luggage tag idea for when flying with guns

Originally posted by chs View Post
    So on another gun forum where I am a moderator, someone brought up the idea of a tag to the TSA that would basically say "Yo, you can't open this shit, there might be guns in here" without saying "YO HOMIES! THERE GUNS UP IN HEAAH!"
    Interesting idea, however if the TSA is intent on cutting the lock off on a case in violation of federal law, posting a "keep out" sign will probably not even slow them down.

anyway any time i see a non-tsa approved lock on luggage at the airport i always think there are firearms within.

This was brought up after the guy who lost a gun because the TSA cut the locks off his firearms case to inspect it and replaced them with zip ties. Giving a nice little legal notice screams official, and should keep those locks on there.
    well for me on the plastic cases, i actually want them cutting the lock rather than damaging the case. a pry bar must have been used to twist them off as a chunk of both corners of the rifle case where the locking holes were missing. would have been less annoyed with a cut locks and zip ties. the case damaged but nothing missing.

airline took no responsibility as they considered it "loss of external locks" which is specifically excluded by them.

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

Originally posted by astcell View Post
    DO, bring some of those locks to sell at the shoot
    i know that Mitch from Security Snobs will have a vendor table at DEFCON this year... he sells the Abloy PL321s (as well as the much more formidable PL330s which i recommend even more for Pelican cases)

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

DO, bring some of those locks to sell at the shoot!

Leave a comment:

• kuji
    replied

What if the little orange slip they give you simply had metallic ink like those Bill of Rights underwear so when they run it through the X-ray it's apparent, but it doesn't scream "Hey, GUNS!" to everyone else?

Leave a comment:

• sintax_error
    replied

Sure, but it would be nice if they don't inadvertently open your luggage AT ALL :)
    Well, I'd imagine that any TSA agent with a modicum of common sense (yeah, i laughed too) would take a hard sided case with non-TSA locks to an x-ray machine prior to the bolt cutters if they felt a need for inspection. They are [supposed to be] aware of federal regulations regarding firearms in transit, and should by all logic (yes, I laughed again) not jump right into destruction of property.

I don't think a tag like the one posted above is a good idea personally, just because it does, in essence, state that there are firearms inside the case. Boron-steel shackles are certainly a better method to keep the TSA out of your gear, because likely, if they do intend to inspect the bag, a bent blade on a pair of cutters leads directly to an x-ray. And if they have any doubt at that point if the bag had been initially inspected, they can contact you.

Leave a comment:

• chs
    replied

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    this goes right to the heart of something i constantly bitch about at the check-in counter... when you fill out the small "declaration tag" it's often a small index card and bright orange in color.

this tag is supposed to be RIGHT ON THE TOP OF YOUR BELONGINGS in the luggage. it should be THE FIRST THING THE TSA SEES if they inadvertently open your bags.
    Sure, but it would be nice if they don't inadvertently open your luggage AT ALL :)

Leave a comment:

• Deviant Ollam
    replied

this goes right to the heart of something i constantly bitch about at the check-in counter... when you fill out the small "declaration tag" it's often a small index card and bright orange in color.

this tag is supposed to be RIGHT ON THE TOP OF YOUR BELONGINGS in the luggage. it should be THE FIRST THING THE TSA SEES if they inadvertently open your bags.

so many times i've been told to put the tag all the way inside my luggage, right against the firearm, inside of some inner case, etc etc.

this is WRONG and you should complain to high heaven if they ask you to do this. demand a supervisor. contact your airline. etc etc

of course, this has little effect on a cut lock. hence, my assertion that people should travel with "un-cuttable" locks on their luggage. while my old Abloy 975s may have been overkill, using most Abloy products (not trying to plug, i don't sell them and i don't have stock in the company!) will prevent casual cutting. their Boron-reinforced shackles will break most bolt cutters before they can be cracked open.

Any padlock that is Grade 4 or higher is basically impenetrable by the TSA. they would have to destroy your luggage rather than remove the lock.

Leave a comment:

• l0stkn0wledge
    replied

Link to a PDF provided on deviant ollam's page: http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/legal_sheet.pdf

As I recall it is based on common carrier laws that prevent them from labeling the luggage.

Leave a comment:

• seeess
    replied

There isn't any tag like that. It's specifically against federal law.
    I haven't heard that before, do you have a reference? Somehow they knew, maybe they just knew there was X number of guns checked on this plane and it was easy to pick out?

Leave a comment:

• chs
    replied

Originally posted by seeess View Post
    TSA cut the locks? Seems like a lawsuit.

I have to imagine there is something on the tag to designate "guns" to the baggage handlers. Because some airports I fly into, i have to go see someone behind the desk and show ID to get my case back. Though others just dump it on the carousel, I just hope I don't miss a connection or something.
    There isn't any tag like that. It's specifically against federal law.

Leave a comment:

• seeess
    replied

TSA cut the locks? Seems like a lawsuit.

I have to imagine there is something on the tag to designate "guns" to the baggage handlers. Because some airports I fly into, i have to go see someone behind the desk and show ID to get my case back. Though others just dump it on the carousel, I just hope I don't miss a connection or something.

Leave a comment:

• astcell
    replied

At the local gun shop I saw these great looking hard plastic rifle cases, pelican style, with TSA locks on them latches! FAIL!

Leave a comment:

• chs
    started a topic Interesting luggage tag idea for when flying with guns

Interesting luggage tag idea for when flying with guns

So on another gun forum where I am a moderator, someone brought up the idea of a tag to the TSA that would basically say "Yo, you can't open this shit, there might be guns in here" without saying "YO HOMIES! THERE GUNS UP IN HEAAH!"

Notice

Per 49 C.F.R. ยง 1540.111 (c)(2)(iv) only the passenger retains the key or combination to this case.

Should contents of this case require physical inspection please contact Mr. Passenger at cell# 000-000-0000 to have the case opened for inspection.
    This was brought up after the guy who lost a gun because the TSA cut the locks off his firearms case to inspect it and replaced them with zip ties. Giving a nice little legal notice screams official, and should keep those locks on there.
Working...
X