Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medic
    replied
    I understand your frustration. I wasn't around when the initial questions were asked, and I'm sorry for that.

As long as we're not going to be shuffled out the door for not using netstumbler, I'll be fine.

The only difference between the output I produce, and the output produced by a wi-scan program such as netstumbler will be the number of lines. Netstumbler outputs basically one line per second per network for the data, and kismet only outputs one line per network. I have enough information to generate 4 lines per network (see earlier post).

Your initial post just seemed like you were giving us the finger. :)

Will it be possible for me to submit a dump of my logs and have them passed by Pete Shipley to verify if they'll work?

Thanks, and any help will be appreciated.
    --Medic

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by Medic
    As for it not being allowed during the judging, I don't see why it wouldn't be. You won't be able to differentiate between the log files I convert with a program and the ones generated by netstumbler except for the header information, which can be changed.
    --Medic
    I don't care how you get it into wi-scan format...convert them yourself. But the data that gets turned in must be in wi-scan/wl-scan format. If you want to write your own script to do the conversion go for it. If you want to modify the Perl script already discussed, go for it.

There is NOTHING that says you can't use ANY tool you want. I am just saying how we need the results. Netstumbler is NOT the only tool out there that provides data dumps in this format. It is the most commonly known which is why I said it was my suggestion. As dataworm pointed out there are other solutions. But I am getting a little frustrated since I asked long before the rules were posted if ANYONE was going to use ANYTHING that wasn't wi-scan/wl-scan compatible. NO responses!

Leave a comment:

• Medic
    replied
    For some people, netstumbler just isn't an option. My setup includes a Pentium 100 laptop, Cisco 350 Series NIC, and a DeLorme Earthmate GPS... None of which are compatible with netstumbler... Its not an option.

As for it not being allowed during the judging, I don't see why it wouldn't be. You won't be able to differentiate between the log files I convert with a program and the ones generated by netstumbler except for the header information, which can be changed.

I can't believe that the folks at Defcon would push a closed source application for something like this. I'm not bitching or complaining; it just caught me by suprise...

Just my thoughts.
    --Medic

Leave a comment:

• dataworm
    replied
    I know this is Not Kismet but if what your looking is a software that use monitoring mode and log in wi-scan mode... There is a Alternative :) bsd-airtool http://www.dachb0den.com/projects/bsd-airtools.html ... Did i said it was for *bsd?

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied
    As of right now I can verify that it will NOT be acceptable. Pete Shipley who wrote the judging script is looking into the issue, but if he doesn't have time to/doesn't want to update it....no dice.

If you guys had asked me for this before, perhaps when I asked if anyone was going to use anything that is not wi-scan/wl-scan compatible...about 6 weeks or so ago...I could have made changes.

Just to explain that a bit. I asked about the format before I had the "Official" rules drafted. That way if someone was not going to us a compatible tool...I could have changed things. After the rules were drafted I sent the info off to DT for inclusion in the program and off to Pete for script development.

They have both worked hard to ensure that this contest comes off without a hitch. That said, I am not willing to ask them to do too much more.

My suggestion really is to use Netstumbler.

Leave a comment:

• Kai
    replied
    Thanks blackwave.

Chris, can you verify whether this will be acceptable to the judging parties?

Thanks,
    Kai

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Re: cwgd to wi-scan Perl script

Originally posted by blackwave
    Greetings All,
    mentat from The NetStumbler Forums has posted a conversion script for kismet users... though it requires completion as per quote.
    WARNING:
    This conversion script was found to be invalid at this time. If at any time this script becomes valid I will be sure to let everyone know. Though do not hold your breath. Do not attempt to use this script to submit data if you have previously downloaded it.l

-Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Last edited by blackwave; July 22, 2002, 15:43.

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    cwgd to wi-scan Perl script

Greetings All,
    mentat from The NetStumbler Forums has posted a conversion script for kismet users... though it requires completion as per quote.

Quote by mentat
    The attachment is the script. The time stuff isn't done yet. (too bad it's so "human readable") I might get to it in the next couple days or someone else can finish it. Obviously it's a pretty simple script.

The command line looks like "cat <cwgd file> | ./kismet2wiscan > <wiscan file>".
    -http://forums.netstumbler.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=20571#post20571

WARNING:
    This conversion script was found to be invalid at this time. If at any time this script becomes valid I will be sure to let everyone know. Though do not hold your breath. Do not attempt to use this script to submit data if you have previously downloaded it.l

-Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Last edited by blackwave; July 22, 2002, 15:44.

Leave a comment:

• russ
    replied
    Yeah, wheres the fun in that!?!? hahah

If it gets included before the con, everyone will have kismet and a 15 db yagi hanging out of their window.. Wheres the fun in that?

:)
    --Medic

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied

I've thought about not submitting the code to dragon (author of kismet) for inclusion in the source until after the con to level the playing field.
    Interesting method of cognition. I think the idea that most may have had was to submit this so that a new rev would be available for the use of the wardriving contest. I am sure that there may be other individuals who will submit their conversion scripts, or may not need to if the author implements it himself.

:) Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• Medic
    replied
    I've thrown a script together in vbscript, and will convert it to perl or C, depending on the mood I'm in this evening...

The script works, but it doesn't report signal, noise, or the SNR ratio since none of those are included in the kismet CSV file.

Also, in wi-scan format, it reports the status of the network once every second. In the Kismet logs, it only gives you one line per network, so I've got it printing 4 lines per network:

MinLat, MinLon
    MinLat, MaxLon
    MaxLat, MinLon
    MaxLat, MaxLon

This will draw a square on any wi-scan mapping programs, and give you an area of coverage as opposed to a single point.

I've thought about not submitting the code to dragon (author of kismet) for inclusion in the source until after the con to level the playing field.

If it gets included before the con, everyone will have kismet and a 15 db yagi hanging out of their window.. Wheres the fun in that?

:)
    --Medic

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    public secrets...

Originally posted by Kai
    Oh geez, this is supposed to be a secret!!!!!
    Oh, yeah it still is... just don't tell everyone :)

Leave a comment:

• Kai
    replied
    Oh geez, this is supposed to be a secret!!!!!

HAHA

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    kismet conversion

Well we have started a thread on the kismet board:

http://www.kismetwireless.net/Forum/...7090381.692356

Leave a comment:

• blackwave
    replied
    Re: Kismet to Wi-Scan?

Is there a way to convert Kismet logs into Wi-Scan format?
    Good question:
    http://www.kismetwireless.net/forum.php
    I haven't seen any mention of this format in their changelogs, or on their site... you may want to query this on their forums.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X